By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nintendo's AC Adapter Policy Isn't Fair - Kotaku

nomad said:
Nintendo just doesn't get it. They should have just included the charger and increased the price. That way they can increase profit margins much higher than the mere $1 savings from excluding a charger. Then, people wouldn't be complaining or writing articles about missing components or making accusations of money-pinching. Rather, people would be complaining about something else. It's a win-win, people would have have one less thing to be angry about and Nintendo could have increased profits further. *Sigh* Things could have been so much better.

Like!

Around the Network
Euphoria14 said:

If god forbid that 3rd party adapter causes an issue with your 3DS your warranty won't cover the repair charge. Although honestly I don't see how they would know.

I dunno how it is in the US, but in europe that wouldn't be allowed as long as the third-party-adapter has passed the basic certification required by law and is technically compatible (right voltage).

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

UltimateUnknown said:
Mnementh said:
pokoko said:
It's always, always lame when a company doesn't give you everything you need to play out of the box. I don't care which company it is, it bugs me. It's not even really me, I can deal with it just fine, but a lot of kids won't know and a lot of parents won't know.

Yeah, I know $.50 times a few million is a lot of money but come on.

Actually most consoles (sans the bundles) are not coming with a game, that is needed to play with said console.

I agree it is annoying, but it isn't world shattering bad and definitely not a deal breaker. This would be even less a problem, if Nintendo didn't do a stupid propietary charger but used one of the USB-standards.

Actually most consoles nowadays (at least the PS4) have a selection of F2P titles, and decent ones at that, which you can play right after getting the console. If you get PS+ that's multiplied, but we'll keep it to free for now.

You still need to be online and still need to download the free to play game, so you have your annoyance as is the missing charger that you have to pick up. And online also cost you something, as the charger does.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

KylieDog said:

So Nintendo essentially saying the 3DS market is dead as far is expanding the userbase is concerned.

If you don't need it, that means they expect zero new 3DS users.

Yeah, that'w why they see no point in selling standalone chargers - oh wait. Your post is so desperate.

S.Peelman said:
While I personally do agree it's a bit cheap to leave out the AC adapter on their 'XL models', even though it doesn't look like it when one reads my replies about this subject, I am finding it beyond annoying that once again people are falling over this issue. An issue that been standard since the DSi XL released 5 years ago. On a gaming forum no less, you'd think everyone would know by now after 3 releases and half a decade. Besides that, I think everyone that buys an XL and then gets pissed off there's no charger afterwards should've just read the box before blindly grabbing stuff off the shelf and they can only be mad at themselves, but that's me.

Especially as there are more important issues with the New 3DS:

* propietary charger instead of USB

* region lock

* no new 3DS in the US (only XL) - WTF Nintendo!

Around the Network
OdinHades said:
Nintendo loses 1 sympathy point in my book. That's all.

How can it lose sympathy, if your sympathy for Nitnendo already is at zero.

Mnementh said:
S.Peelman said:
While I personally do agree it's a bit cheap to leave out the AC adapter on their 'XL models', even though it doesn't look like it when one reads my replies about this subject, I am finding it beyond annoying that once again people are falling over this issue. An issue that been standard since the DSi XL released 5 years ago. On a gaming forum no less, you'd think everyone would know by now after 3 releases and half a decade. Besides that, I think everyone that buys an XL and then gets pissed off there's no charger afterwards should've just read the box before blindly grabbing stuff off the shelf and they can only be mad at themselves, but that's me.

* region lock

The fact that the charger is proprietary is part of the reason why people complain about its exclusion. -__-

Cobretti2 said:
ONLY IN AMERICA PEOPLE WHINGE ABOUT BEING TOO LAZY TO PICK UP TWO BOXES 2 METERS APART FROM EACH OTHER.

Yes, because they don't measure in meter in America and are confused from two meters. How much is that in feet?

Hynad said:
Mnementh said:
S.Peelman said:

* region lock

The fact that the charger is proprietary is part of the reason why people complain about its exclusion. -__-

Still, I wonder, shouldn't people more upset about the missing new 3DS, as this takes away their option of having changeable faceplates? Let's me wonder if all the complainers were willign to buy a new 3Ds in the first place.

Mnementh said:

Let's me wonder if all the complainers were willign to buy a new 3Ds in the first place.

As if everyone who intend to buy the New3DS are all supposed to be drones who blindly accept Nintendo's anti-consumer practices.