By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nintendo's AC Adapter Policy Isn't Fair - Kotaku

ExplodingBlock said:

Well I am upgrading from my regular 3DS XL, so I already have a charger
Hahaha!

So what happens now to your regular 3DS XL? Do you keep it or sell it or trade it in or gift it to some friend / family member?

Around the Network
Mnementh said:
S.Peelman said:
While I personally do agree it's a bit cheap to leave out the AC adapter on their 'XL models', even though it doesn't look like it when one reads my replies about this subject, I am finding it beyond annoying that once again people are falling over this issue. An issue that been standard since the DSi XL released 5 years ago. On a gaming forum no less, you'd think everyone would know by now after 3 releases and half a decade. Besides that, I think everyone that buys an XL and then gets pissed off there's no charger afterwards should've just read the box before blindly grabbing stuff off the shelf and they can only be mad at themselves, but that's me.

Especially as there are more important issues with the New 3DS:

* propietary charger instead of USB

* region lock

* no new 3DS in the US (only XL) - WTF Nintendo!

I agree.

Especially about the issue of it being a proprietary charger in the first place. They indeed should have just made that USB and be done with it. In fact everyone should do this. Including Apple, because I have like 20 of their cables lying around. Nevermind the total pile of different chargers for every device .

Just buy a USB charging cable if you need one. Problem solved.

Areym said:
In other words, "We know Nintendo fans have 3 3DS already so why bother with a charger you already have. Just buy the new 3DS, we ALREADY know you will."

yes... we will.

And I cannot wait...

As a fan I like the smaller more compact box.

But I understand that if you are a  new customer.... you cna be pissed off

Switch!!!

Lol kotaku

Around the Network

No one should defend this. Its a horrible business practice. Something that even Japan (especially) should have never dealt with. Not a deal breaker but no regular new 3ds, this, and Nintendo consistently giving one of there biggest markets the short end of the stick. Either with bundles (like the new zelda bundle not including the game, unlike in the EU), club Nintendo US getting worse and worse, or overall just bad decisions.

Love Nintendo but there actions truly puzzle me sometime

'Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock-n-roll.'
-Shigeru Miyamoto

anthony64641 said:
No one should defend this. Its a horrible business practice. Something that even Japan (especially) should have never dealt with. Not a deal breaker but no regular new 3ds, this, and Nintendo consistently giving one of there biggest markets the short end of the stick. Either with bundles (like the new zelda bundle not including the game, unlike in the EU), club Nintendo US getting worse and worse, or overall just bad decisions.

Love Nintendo but there actions truly puzzle me sometime

I like your attitude, i wish people fair and not just blind defending Nintendo fault. I honestly will do the same thing with Playstation if they do something wrong. I bet you are more mature and can differentiate which one is wrong which one is right.

Next 3DS will be called Brand New 3DS and it won't include buttons. You can use your old ones or buy them separately for $10...each button.

The One and Only

VizionEck.com

Hynad said:
novasonic said:
Eh, the thing about the Nintendo Color TV game not including a power cord bugs me. Like all 1st generation plug n' play consoles (Atari, Coleco, etc), they ran on D or C cell batteries by default and you could buy a dedicated power cord if you were h-core and burnt through too many batteries. Same as with the Game Boy or Game Gear. Very rarely did any of those things come with power cords.

They seem to neglect that fact in the story, but oh well. Not the first time a journalist bent the truth to make their point and wont be the last.

You seem to neglect the fact that those examples you gave used a universally adopted energy source. You could use any C or D batteries to make those function. 

The N3DS uses a proprietary power source. You cannot use regular batteries or one of the many universal mobile usb cord you may have to make it function. You need to get their backward proprietary charger, and they're selling it separately.  

Yes, that's essentially what I'm saying. They're completely different situations and they shouldn't be decievingly lumped together to make a point.

8th gen predictions. (made early 2014)
PS4: 60-65m
WiiU: 30-35m
X1: 30-35m
3DS: 80-85m
PSV: 15-20m