By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Splatoon: The Hype is real?

Of course. Best tactical online shooter this gen. No doubts about it. Won't be surprised if it also goes eSports.

Around the Network
GTAexpert said:

Okay then explain to me in what other way its innovates.

Hell no am I typing out all that crap again, so here's a copy paste!

"By unique I mean the core gameplay itself. The territorial mechanics are what really seperate it from eveything else, as I certainly can't think of a shooter with similar traits. Movement is highly dependent on turf, as you move faster on your own but slow as molasses on the opponent's. In addition you reload by swimming in your own ink, but you'll take damage when trying to traverse through enemy ink. By painting on walls and through grates you'll be able to access otherwise inaccessible areas, but of course if the enemy's paint is there it's a no go until you paint over it. Having access to high vantage points will be important because ink bullets are affected by gravity which means it's easier to shoot at someone below you than someone who's higher. There's also a stealth factor, as ink bullets are visible so you'll be able tell where enemies are when they're shooting, and you'll be able to infer that someone's nearby if you see enemy ink on the ground. When in Squid form on your own ink, you're completely invisible, and even while moving you only leave small ripples in the ink. While these mechanics add depth to the gameplay, at the same time the game's main mode Turf War also raises accessibility. The main objective isn't to get the most kills but to cover the most ground in your team's ink color. This means even if you're not that good you can still help out your team without being a burden. Even if all this doesn't interest you, you can't deny that it's definitely unique!"

mine said:
Of course. Best tactical online shooter this gen. No doubts about it. Won't be surprised if it also goes eSports.

srsly? This game has a 0 chance at becoming an esports game. lol

Einsam_Delphin said:
GTAexpert said:

Okay then explain to me in what other way its innovates.

Hell no am I typing out all that crap again, so here's a copy paste!

"By unique I mean the core gameplay itself. The territorial mechanics are what really seperate it from eveything else, as I certainly can't think of a shooter with similar traits. Movement is highly dependent on turf, as you move faster on your own but slow as molasses on the opponent's. In addition you reload by swimming in your own ink, but you'll take damage when trying to traverse through enemy ink. By painting on walls and through grates you'll be able to access otherwise inaccessible areas, but of course if the enemy's paint is there it's a no go until you paint over it. Having access to high vantage points will be important because ink bullets are affected by gravity which means it's easier to shoot at someone below you than someone who's higher. There's also a stealth factor, as ink bullets are visible so you'll be able tell where enemies are when they're shooting, and you'll be able to infer that someone's nearby if you see enemy ink on the ground. When in Squid form on your own ink, you're completely invisible, and even while moving you only leave small ripples in the ink. While these mechanics add depth to the gameplay, at the same time the game's main mode Turf War also raises accessibility. The main objective isn't to get the most kills but to cover the most ground in your team's ink color. This means even if you're not that good you can still help out your team without being a burden. Even if all this doesn't interest you, you can't deny that it's definitely unique!"

It does sound unique now, but on the other hand it doesn't sound too good. If that's all it has to offer, it'll get old pretty quick. But if it has more unique stuff to offer, I might even be interested in getting this when I get a Wii U.

mine said:

that is one very bold and unlikely prediction you got there

Around the Network
spemanig said:
As good as Splatoon looks, I get the impression that Wii U fans settle for way less than the standard. People are talking about it like it's Nintendo's second coming of COD when it's really just their Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare.

It looks fun, but there are hundreds of other online multiplayer shooters out there with far more robust online options.

The game has potential, but if there aren't at least four different online modes, all that potential is lost. They already dropped the ball with no 4 player local multiplayer. Thought I was playing a Nintendo game.

^^^ This

It does look like a refreshing idea but it isn't the second coming of FPS like many Nintendo fans think.

GTAexpert said:

It does sound unique now, but on the other hand it doesn't sound too good. If that's all it has to offer, it'll get old pretty quick. But if it has more unique stuff to offer, I might even be interested in getting this when I get a Wii U.

Well it's all about your preferences as to whether or not a game can hold your interest, but Splatoon does shares similaritys to Mario Kart in terms of addictive nature. In both games, even if you have the same rules same level, same character combo etc., each race/battle will most likely play out differently from the last. For Mario Kart it's generally the items that cause this, but for Splatoon it's the ever changing territory. Throughout the match, turf will dynamically shift, it's your's one second, then the enemy's the next, and so you're constantly having to adjust your strategy and move from one place to the next. Also there was somewhat of a metagame sorta confirmed, though not as expansive as CoD's, but there are levels and different weapons n gear you can buy that have different stats n such. Turf War is the only online mode confirmed so far, but I'd bet anything that the final game will have the usual shooter modes making this game worth the purchase.

ghettoglamour said:
Nintendo fans are sheep. They force themselves to love everything Nintendo throws at them. Even Evil's Third looks "promising" in their eyes, lol.

Well the alternative is to 'get hyped' for third party titles like AC: Unity...

(I kid, but no, we Nintendo gamers will never let you dirty Nontendoers live that down. Its simply too good at being ammo for childish retorts to childish comments.)

I think it looks fun game and may pick it up

kopstudent89 said:
spemanig said:
As good as Splatoon looks, I get the impression that Wii U fans settle for way less than the standard. People are talking about it like it's Nintendo's second coming of COD when it's really just their Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare.

It looks fun, but there are hundreds of other online multiplayer shooters out there with far more robust online options.

The game has potential, but if there aren't at least four different online modes, all that potential is lost. They already dropped the ball with no 4 player local multiplayer. Thought I was playing a Nintendo game.

^^^ This

It does look like a refreshing idea but it isn't the second coming of FPS like many Nintendo fans think.

I agree with this post....

Because it is a Third Person Shooter