Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Splatoon: The Hype is real?

mine said:
Of course. Best tactical online shooter this gen. No doubts about it. Won't be surprised if it also goes eSports.

LOL...You've have to be kidding. The Division, Gears of War and Uncharted have a better chance of going eSports. Splatoon looks like a lot of fun though.

Around the Network

What is it about this game that makes non-Nintendo gamers so worried? I see them dismissing it all the time.
You constantly harp on Nintendo that they rehash the same ips, but when they make a new ip all you do is ridicule it? Seriously, where's the logic?
Can't we just be excited about what looks like a creative game?

Some people here even seem to think it's an FPS... Maybe take a look at the game before you dismiss it.

Samus Aran said:

What is it about this game that make non-Nintendo gamers so worried? I see them dismissing it all the time.
You constantly harp on Nintendo that they rehash the same ips, but when they make a new ip all you do is ridicule it? Seriously, where's the logic?

Seems like the game has to be exactly like all the other online shooters on the market , if not, is a mess. But then if it ends up being the same, then how unoriginal is Nintendo doing the same instead of a fresh new original awesome game... like Splatoon seems to be.

I am hyped. I hope for other modes, like multiple teams: it would be awesome to have 3 or 4 ink colors (and territories) on the screen.

My main worry would be the server, i hope Nintendo does not leave the hosting to the players, as that could damage what looks as a great idea.

Question: Is there any way to be a male character from what I remember I only saw female.

http://moongypsy.bandcamp.com/ ~Thank you Stefl1504 for the amazing sig~
Around the Network

I like the game design much. Its simply a shooter but has tactical possibilities though (at least what the Videos suggesting us). As i remember the devoloping team is a young and fresh division. Obviously the new generation comes after Miyamoto and Sakurai.
Typical Nintendo: Innovation and fun first!
Support them!

toot1231 said:
Question: Is there any way to be a male character from what I remember I only saw female.

Yes there is :)

Goodnightmoon said:

Seems like the game has to be exactly like all the other online shooters on the market , if not, is a mess. But then if it ends up being the same, then how unoriginal is Nintendo doing the same instead of a fresh new original awesome game... like Splatoon seems to be.

Not exactly. Every game will have its pros but it depends on how competitive it gets and whether the following meets esports standards based on the technical measures in the game. Super Smash...while not being a traditional fighter (but rather a brawler) it still is in ESports because it has a competitive community that has built itself steadily around four generations of consoles. Only the Nintendo community can make that call. Sure, they wont be considered the key games in the tournament, but they'll still be there as long as its fully supported. Traditionalists have no bearing on how competitive Nintendo games are...but they generally are where the seriously competitive games are. Whose to say they haven't played Smash and liked it either? We really don't know, but what we do know is its up to the Nintendo community.

Any man or woman who is a stand out in a competitive game should be able to compete on a level where they can be seen. Thats what tournaments do....it creates exposure. Make it happen.

Super Smash wasnt even supposed to be a competitive game. It was just supposed to be a fun pick up and play title for casuals even though the designer said its not a fighter to him. This doesn't stop a community from interpreting it the way they do...and here we are today.

Einsam_Delphin said:
Areym said:

I wouldn't say unreasonable but the hype killed the beast. Word of mouth will be the saving grace for splatoon. Kids now a days will pick CoD and Halo over Splatoon anyday.

Yes it was very much unreasonable and not fair to Bungie at all when the game they made is still very solid.

You can say that about practically any game lol.

I mean the hype for the game was not unreasonable. When you got bungie behind a shooter, you expect some great stuff. Destiny was good but it feel short on many aspects. Expectations were so high that when the game showed flawless, everybody and their mother turned their backs.

As for the second part, I mean shooters in general. Today's kids and teens rather play with real weaponry than  paint guns/nerfs style weapons. 

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

Samus Aran said:

What is it about this game that makes non-Nintendo gamers so worried? I see them dismissing it all the time.

Some people here even seem to think it's an FPS... Maybe take a look at the game before you dismiss it.

I think it's the counter the big "hype" the game is getting...on these forums anyways.  Lately, this game is getting praised as the next big Nintendo franchise, this and that, which is fine honestly. One thing I can dismiss about the game is its selling potential. It isn't going to sell all that well. As for the rest, we just gotta wait and see. Art style is nice though.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian