By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How did Sony turn the PS3 around but Nintendo couldn't do the same with Wii U?

Can Nintendo turn the Wii U around like Sony did with PS3?

Of course. Nintendo will pull off a miracle. 118 25.21%

lol lol lol lol lol no. 259 55.34%

Yo Mama 90 19.23%

Total:467
KLXVER said:
NightDragon83 said:

Nintendo now has the worst 3rd party support in their history, the Wii U is not powerful enough to compete with the top 1st and 3rd party releases on PSOne, and they've already had installments of all their top franchises besides Zelda and Metroid hit the Wii U 2 years into its life, and still its getting outsold by the X1 after its slow start.

and still they make more money...

Because they hardly spend money.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

Around the Network

It cost Sony $3 billion at their PS3 launch year. Sony sacrificed their other divisions for PS3. Nintendo dont need to do that.

sony never turned around the ps3. they allmost killed sony with this failure. its all about the money and not about sold consoles...

For those saying Sony recovered by burning money. PS3 cost $800 to produce. It's not so much that Sony burned money to save the console, it's more like Kutaragi designed a console that was never going to be capable of profiting to begin with. Had Sony not cut the price, it would still burn as many billions. It was just flawed like that.

As for the OP's question, it's easy really. PS3 was flawed from a profitability point of view, but Wii U was flawed from a marketability standpoint. PS3, even in its worst times, never sold nearly as bad as Wii U. It was a desirable console that cost way too much. It was powerful and had 3rd party support and brand loyalty. Wii U is just a hard concept to sell, so sales-wise it's at a huge disadvantage.

No troll is too much for me to handle. I rehabilitate trolls, I train people. I am the Troll Whisperer.

Yakuzaice said:
RealGamingExpert said:

This should show it quite well

Sony pretty much threw away their money during the PS3 era. Microsoft is even more interesting.

The massive 2012 loss for Sony was when they mixed games in with TVs into "Consumer Products & Services".  The next year they broke it back out and showed an Operating Profit for both 2012 and 2013 for "Games" alone.  It is also using Net Income for Nintendo instead of Operating Income.  In terms of Operating Income Nintendo was still showing losses for 2013 and 2014.  As well as the first 6 months of the fiscal year ended 2015, though they are pretty negligible losses this year.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/0cLh2nRu_KM?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Don't bring that information into this, the point is that the PS3 was successful cause Sony can't money but the WiiU is doing poorly cause Nintendo can money. Don't mess this up.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Around the Network
Hiku said:
generic-user-1 said:
sony never turned around the ps3. they allmost killed sony with this failure. its all about the money and not about sold consoles...

While the console itself never turned a profit, they make good profits from software sold with an 80M userbase. And PlayStation is one of few Sony branches that are still profitable. What got Sony in such financial trouble was some of their other divisions, such as mobile, etc.

sony burned 4,5b$ with the ps division in the high time of the ps3... playstation isnt still profitable, they are AGAIN profitable, after the none profit ps3 time..

RolStoppable said:
By burning money.

Despite the huge discrepancy in lifetime sales of hardware and software, the Wii U will have generated more profits for Nintendo than the PS3 for Sony.

Are you sure about any of those claims?  Are you sure PS3 has not broken even, or that Wii U will break even?

Nintendo has had about $1.2 Billion losses during the past three years.  Those losses need to be attributed to something; either 3DS hasn't broken even, or Wii U hasn't broken even, or both.

My 8th gen collection

They didn't had to do anything, people were sick of buying an xbox 360 with rrod so they turned to the PS3 instead.

Sony had a worldwide brand with PS, and they did not want to lose brand power. They were willing to make losses to keep the brand strong. This is in contrast to Nintendo and the Wii brand. It is likely Nintendo will drop the Wii brand and create yet another one.

PS3 was also potentially the strongest console of the 3 within its generation so developers could keep supporting it for years. Wii U is the weakest and by a long shot.

And of course Sony had strong developer relations from PS2 era and some of those may have slipped a bit, but they managed to keep most of it.

Ahhh it was hilarious back then, Sony announced brand new console PS3, my friends were like PSYCHED with kitty faces, then Sony let us know the price tag. $500 (20 GB) & $600 (60 GB). Pffffffffffffffffffffffft!!!!