By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How did Sony turn the PS3 around but Nintendo couldn't do the same with Wii U?

Can Nintendo turn the Wii U around like Sony did with PS3?

Of course. Nintendo will pull off a miracle. 118 25.21%

lol lol lol lol lol no. 259 55.34%

Yo Mama 90 19.23%

Total:467

Sony turned it around after willing to suffer HEAVY loses, and after about 3-4 years in PS3s life span.

The Wii U still has another year or two to turn it around, but they want to work for it rather than bleed it out.

Australian Gamer (add me if you like)               
NNID: Maraccuda              
PS Network: Maraccuda           

Around the Network
outlawauron said:
RealGamingExpert said:

This should show it quite well

Sony pretty much threw away their money during the PS3 era. Microsoft is even more interesting.

What is that chart measuring?

Sony's game division had 29.3 billion OI in 2012. Surely taxes are not that high.

Those figures have mistakes, for example Nintendo 2008 & 2009 are way off.  2009 should be 2.79B not 5.55B!  I don't know, is a lot of it made up or what?

Others 1999 - $810 Billion, 2000 - $529 Billion, etc.  You're overall almost $10 Billion over Nintendo's actual earnings.  Get the right numbers here http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/historical_data/index.html

For Sony, those 2012 numbers don't correspond with the PlayStation business.

My 8th gen collection

Because Nintendo thought they could count on casuals two generations in a row +they overpriced it at launch.

I don't get why Nintendo can't just make a console that has fairly similar specifications (like within 10-25% overall power/graphics) to whatever Sony/MS puts out + easy to develop for (gain back 3rd party support) + all their classic series returning/revamped + a few new IPs....and they could charge the same or even like $50 less than the competition since it's not as powerful (meaning more sales and in turn further 3rd party support/respect)....

ughhh is that really that much to ask? Maybe they'll do something like this next gen. No way they stick with the Wii theme after the Wii U.

People actually wanted the PS3, the initial high cost was just a barrier for a lot of people. Even in its early years it still outsold 360 so its situation was never a dire as the media hyped it to be.

Wii U on the other hand has released many AAA games while being the cheapest yet its selling slower than Dreamcast. The demand isn't there or ever will be as high as its competitors.

Sony aggressively wanted their platform to be the primary console in living rooms, while Nintendo passively accepts being a secondary console. One valued marketshare while the other valued profitability.

Well they didn't turn around... They always had good sales all things considered, but bellow their baseline. And kept that with ps3 ending bellow ps1. WiiU is the same in selling less than gamecube.

The thing is when PlayStation failing in console is by selling almost as much as Nintendo in their biggest success.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."