By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How did Sony turn the PS3 around but Nintendo couldn't do the same with Wii U?

Can Nintendo turn the Wii U around like Sony did with PS3?

Of course. Nintendo will pull off a miracle. 118 25.21%

lol lol lol lol lol no. 259 55.34%

Yo Mama 90 19.23%

Total:467
bonzobanana said:
If the wii u had sold well Nintendo would have made amazing profits as the console is manufactured from such low cost components. It's likely even cheaper to manufacture than a hard drive equipped ps3 or 360. It's an incredibly cheap design.

However it failed to sell in the expected volume Nintendo had hoped for so Nintendo built up a lot of unsold inventory which I think they wrote off financially.

It's hugely likely that the wii u has been very unprofitable and has been subsidised by the 3DS console and cartridge sales. 3DS is quite mature now and manufacturing costs would have reduced and R&D costs paid back.

Of course I don't have the full figures as Nintendo don't release them in that detail but I can't see 8 million console sales being enough to be profitable.

Wii U costs much more to manufacture than ps360.

Around the Network

Sony burned millions and made profit off the PS3 after years of "struggle".

Nintendo's being smart to please the audience the DO have AND make profit without needing to endanger the company, in Sony's case: The PlayStation department. Though 3DS has helped a lot too.

Sony had less to turn around and Nintendo more, you can only turn so much

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.

I think its because Nintendo has achieved an equilibrium between sales and profits. More sales for them would be nice, but they are being profitable, they would rather ride out the Wii U era with a profit than put money into risky advertisement ventures.

"I think it will be the HDS"-Me in regards to Nintendo's next handheld.

Because the PS3 was not an utter failure in concept. Not kidding, that is why. Not even bashing here, that is just what happened.

Prediction for console Lifetime sales:

Wii:100-120 million, PS3:80-110 million, 360:70-100 million

[Prediction Made 11/5/2009]

3DS: 65m, PSV: 22m, Wii U: 18-22m, PS4: 80-120m, X1: 35-55m

I gauruntee the PS5 comes out after only 5-6 years after the launch of the PS4.

[Prediction Made 6/18/2014]

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Lawlight said:

Please extrapolate. I have no idea how you came to the conclusion that the WiiU is generating profit for Nintendo.

1. The Wii U didn't lose anywhere close to as much money upfront as the PS3.
2. The worst portion of the Wii U's life (in terms of profits, or rather losses) is already behind it.
3. The PS3 never made back the money Sony lost on it.
4. Therefore Nintendo will already beat Sony by merely breaking even when all is said and done, but it's reasonable to expect that Nintendo will make $10+ from it.

So, you don't really know.

Nem said:
Sony was willing to take losses to save the PS3, Nintendo isnt.

massive losses  that have helped contribute to their total company's downfall

and video gaming is one of their most profitable divisions, historically. Sony is not a company that is friendly to its investors whatsoever. maybe it makes geeks online get excited over console sales or pushing software, but generally their profit margins are just not that high

Eddie_Raja said:
Because the PS3 was not an utter failure in concept. Not kidding, that is why. Not even bashing here, that is just what happened.

Um the PS3 bled money and had hardware that was difficult to develop for. It was a failed concept and Sony paid the price for it. 

Current gaming platforms - Switch, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Wii U, New 3DS, PC

Nintendo doesn't have 3rd party support, its as simple as that.
That reason alone is their biggest weakness.

Because the PS3 was a console people wanted that just cost too much, the WiiU...just doesn't have the kind of demand the PS3 had.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.