By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I don't want Retro to make the next Metroid game.

curl-6 said:

No they're not; precision is rarely rerquired, nor is timing, because it's simply a means of traversal, not the centrepiece of gameplay that it is in Mario, where timing and precision are key.

That is flat out incorrect. Of course precision is required and in many instances timing is as well. Again, you seriously need to replay any Metroid again from start to finish and count how many times you missed a platform of any kind because you weren't precise or timely enough. Then play through any Mario game and do the same. Just because there's no death screen when you miss a jump doesn't mean the platforming is somehow less important.

It's not "simply" a means of traversal. It is intergally the means of both traversal and exploration.

Around the Network
spemanig said:
curl-6 said:

No they're not; precision is rarely rerquired, nor is timing, because it's simply a means of traversal, not the centrepiece of gameplay that it is in Mario, where timing and precision are key.

That is flat out incorrect. Of course precision is required and in many instances timing is as well. Again, you seriously need to replay any Metroid again from start to finish and count how many times you missed a platform of any kind because you weren't precise or timely enough. Then play through any Mario game and do the same. Just because there's no death screen when you miss a jump doesn't mean the platforming is somehow less important.

It's not "simply" a means of traversal. It is intergally the means of both traversal and exploration.

There's no challenge or variety in the platforming, because it's just a means to get from A to B. If it was primarily a platformer, they were be much more depth and variation.

As I have continually said, I personally don't want another Metroid Prime, nor do I want Retro to MAKE another Metroid game. I loved the MP series, especially MP3. Great games. BUT, I want Retro to do something completely NON-DK/Metroid related, something new. They deserve it, and Nintendo needs to have them making something fresh that will "wow" people. I don't think they can do that, making "just another" DK or MP game.

Secondly, I absolutely do NOT want Team Ninja ever, EVER touching Metroid (or any other Nintendo franchise) with a thousand foot pole, ever again. Regardless of whether or not some people thought it was "good", Other M was a steaming pile of trash.

What I DO want, and HAVE wanted, for many, many years, is another actual 2D Metroid game, preferably developed by Nintendo themselves, but if it has to be made by someone else, someone who doesn't suck, then so bet it. What I want, is a true follow up to Super Metroid. Metroid Fusion is a decent game, but the linear, narrative-rich nature just isn't Metroid. Metroid was never meant to be a cinematic, narrative driven game. It was meant to be what the first three games were: exploration and action, based heavily around a sense of isolation, you against a hostile, maze-like world. Super Metroid is one of the greatest games ever made, and it deserves not a watered down sequel, but a fully realized, worthy sequel, that actually builds on what it created.

And I'd personally prefer to get that, sprite based, in full HD, on Wii U. Games don't "need" to be portable or a small digital download to be 2D. You look at what Vanillaware has accomplished...now imagine Metroid looking even better than that. That is what I imagine, and that is the Metroid that I want to play.

curl-6 said:

There's no challenge or variety in the platforming, because it's just a means to get from A to B. If it was primarily a platformer, they were be much more depth and variation.

I wanted to let you get your last point in before saying this, but I just realized that we are horrendously off topic.

DevilRising said:
As I have continually said, I personally don't want another Metroid Prime, nor do I want Retro to MAKE another Metroid game. I loved the MP series, especially MP3. Great games. BUT, I want Retro to do something completely NON-DK/Metroid related, something new. They deserve it, and Nintendo needs to have them making something fresh that will "wow" people. I don't think they can do that, making "just another" DK or MP game.

Secondly, I absolutely do NOT want Team Ninja ever, EVER touching Metroid (or any other Nintendo franchise) with a thousand foot pole, ever again. Regardless of whether or not some people thought it was "good", Other M was a steaming pile of trash.

What I DO want, and HAVE wanted, for many, many years, is another actual 2D Metroid game, preferably developed by Nintendo themselves, but if it has to be made by someone else, someone who doesn't suck, then so bet it. What I want, is a true follow up to Super Metroid. Metroid Fusion is a decent game, but the linear, narrative-rich nature just isn't Metroid. Metroid was never meant to be a cinematic, narrative driven game. It was meant to be what the first three games were: exploration and action, based heavily around a sense of isolation, you against a hostile, maze-like world. Super Metroid is one of the greatest games ever made, and it deserves not a watered down sequel, but a fully realized, worthy sequel, that actually builds on what it created.

And I'd personally prefer to get that, sprite based, in full HD, on Wii U. Games don't "need" to be portable or a small digital download to be 2D. You look at what Vanillaware has accomplished...now imagine Metroid looking even better than that. That is what I imagine, and that is the Metroid that I want to play.

Wii U has way too many 2D games as is... Metroid needs to be in 3D. 2D is for handhelds. Sprite based graphics would look nice even on 3DS.

Maybe Nintendo could make an easy port for the Wii U at a later date, I wouldn't mind that. But first we need a 3D Metroid fpa.

Around the Network
spemanig said:
curl-6 said:

I wanted to let you get your last point in before saying this, but I just realized that we are horrendously off topic.

Oh shit, you're right, I  didn't even notice! My bad. XD

To answer the OP, I don't want Retro to make another Metroid either, though in my case its cos I want to see something new and different from them.

DevilRising said:

I mostly agree with you on everything pertaining to the topic! I do want another 2D Metroid, but I'd rather it be on the 3DS than on the Wii U, honestly. Or it could be on both, as long as it's actually on the 3DS. I don't think that the 3DS would make it watered down at all though. Look at how ALBW turned out. Even if someone doesn't like it, no one can say that it's watered down compared to the original.

Part of me wants Koji Igarashi, the guy who did made Castlevania SotN and left Konami, to make a 2D Metroid, but I feel like he would need be extremely careful not to make this insane narrative driven Metroid like I feel SotN is. There an indie game called Ghost Song that you should check out. That's the extent of how story should be done in any Metroid (minus this one part where the protagonist has to select yes or no to something), but 2D Metroid in general. Everything else should be told through gameplay like with the final boss in Super or the scans in Prime, and even the scans need to be toned way down and honestly done with audio like in Bioshock as to not break pacing.

If you like Metroid, you'll love this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nr7EKA3owvg

Removed because off topic.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

spemanig said:
curl-6 said:

Alright, I will stop as well.

While I agree that Retro should move on, I guess I was just getting at the fact that Retro was extremely faithful in converting the Metroid experience from 2D to 3D.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

curl-6 said:

Oh shit, you're right, I  didn't even notice! My bad. XD

To answer the OP, I don't want Retro to make another Metroid either, though in my case its cos I want to see something new and different from them.

I really want to see them make a 3D Donkey Kong. I wouldn't mind them making a new IP, but I just REALLY think they'd be good at making a 3D Donkey Kong game lol.