By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I don't want Retro to make the next Metroid game.

I disagree with you. I want more prime games from them.

Around the Network

At this point in time I actually agree with the OP.

I don't want Retro to make the next Metroid game, would rather see them working on a new or currently neglected IP, such as Eternal Darkness, F-Zero, Advance (or more likely Battalion) Wars or any other different Nintendo IP for a while.

They showed talent in creating great revivals for 2 Nintendo classics that had fallen by the wayside, I'd like see them continue to stretch their wings and not just be the Metriod (Prime or otherwise) studio despite wanting to see another good Metriod game in the near future.

jigokutamago said:

Hmm.....How about a control scheme more similar to MPT allowing for precise aiming while maintaing a lock on system? I think a third person game would allow them to make platforming more prevalent. I don't know, maybe I'm just baised because I prefer TPS to FPS.

No, I absolutely would rather the game be TPS than FPS for the exact reason you stated. Platforming is an integral part of Metroid and FP restricts that even more than a TPS would restrict button freedom.

When I said that I'd rather them use a lock on system, I specifically mean locking on in the 3rd person. The new Zelda is actually implementing a similar thing to your suggestion. When you shoot arrows, you can lock on, but aiming is in the 3rd person, but even there, aiming restricts your thumb.

curl-6 said:

Franchises do not need to limited by the intentions of their original 30-year-old debuts. That's how you end up with stagnant retreads like the New Super Mario Bros series.

Platforming isn't just some fleeting intention in Metroid. It's a core aspect of it's design. Taking out platforming is what limits Metroid, not keeping it.

spemanig said:
darkknightkryta said:

If I may be so bold (Seriously, don't kill me), but I think they should go bat shit crazy. My idea? Take Mass Effect, and turn it into Metroid. Like forego the aliens motif and go with a bounty hunter/Mass Effect like thing. Like give the hubs and stuff like that from Mass Effect, character interactions, maybe even RPG elements (For her abilities for instance), and then when you go on "missions" it's either Prime styled gameplay or Other M styled gameplay.  I guess I'm trying to say: merry Mass Effect and Prime 3.

...Have you played a Metroid game that isn't Prime 3? That is the exact opposite of what the franchise is. If Nintendo wants something like Mass Effect, they need to make a new franchise, because that makes no sense in Metroid.

I finished Metroid, Metroid 2, Super Metroid, Metroid Fusion, Metroid Prime 3, Metroid: Other M.  

Like I said, I think they should go bat shit crazy.  Metroid has a very interesting Lore and outside of the Prime games, isn't really dwelved into.  I think focusing more on the universe will be a great idea.  Mass Effect nailed that kind of exploration/gameplay.  Merrying it with either Metroid Prime or Other M's gameplay will create one hell of a game, in my humble opinion.

Around the Network
HylianSwordsman said:
darkknightkryta said:

If I may be so bold (Seriously, don't kill me), but I think they should go bat shit crazy. My idea? Take Mass Effect, and turn it into Metroid. Like forego the aliens motif and go with a bounty hunter/Mass Effect like thing. Like give the hubs and stuff like that from Mass Effect, character interactions, maybe even RPG elements (For her abilities for instance), and then when you go on "missions" it's either Prime styled gameplay or Other M styled gameplay.  I guess I'm trying to say: merry Mass Effect and Prime 3.

If Nintendo does a Mass Effect style game, it should be with Star Fox. They're a team of mercenaries in a heavily populated system of planets with diverse cultures and races, yet we never see those people and the only ones that seem to hire this elite mercenary team is the central government, whenever system-wide war comes around. Let's fix that. Explore all the worlds to the depth that Adventures explored Dinosaur Planet, and let's see how the team makes money between wars. Have the Great Fox as a hub to go on ground and space based missions from. Some combat, some stealth, some reconnaissance. Metroid is just humans, space pirates, and a bunch of dead and dying races. Star Fox has MUCH more potential for a Mass Effect style game.

spemanig said:

[...]but that distinctly eerie and unnerving feeling is almost completely absent from the Prime series.[...]

I am going to completely disagree with you here.  I thought the Prime games all had eerie and unnerving locations.  Clearly some locations achieved this better than others, but the same could be said of Super Metroid.  Not every area of a game can be more creepy than the last.  There has to be some rise and fall.  A period of relative safety makes the next area seem more dangerous and unnerving.

spemanig said:

[...]But even the way they portray alien worlds is different. I rarely felt like I was exploring underground alien tunnels in the Prime games. It always felt like it took a more realistic approach to how these worlds would look like. In Super Metroid, it would rain spores and pollen. There would be entire catacombs lined with what looked like bubbles or fish eggs. Prime didn't do things like that in any of the games with the exception of the much more intentional phazon and one time where it rained static electricity.[...]

They were not usually underground tunnels, but the Prime games all had amazing environments.  The Tallon overworld, the Phendrana Drifts, and the Phazon Mines stand out in the first Metroid Prime.   It sounds like you were looking for a game that looks only like the planet Phaaze from Metroid Prime 3.  Very cool location, but I think it would lose its visual impact if the whole game looked like that.

As much as I disagree with some of your arguements, I don't really disagree with your final thoughts.  I wouldn't mind seeing Metroid developed by someone else to give it some fresh blood.  That is how we got the amazing Prime games after all.  And I wouldn't mind seeing Retro set their talents to a new challenge now that they have done three Metroid games and two DK games.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

spemanig said:
Samus Aran said:

When I say creepy I mean unnerving, eerie, atmospheric, unsettling, etc.

You don't get that feeling by just playing the game, you also need to read the scan logs. And Metroid Prime 2 had some very unsettling scan logs. I loved playing that game with all the lights of during the middle of the night. It felt creepy to me, especially when I was in the dark world. 

Besides, I think Prime 2 is very different compared to Prime 1 and Prime 3 is nothing like Prime 1 & 2. I personally hope they return to the style of Prime 1 & 2 and not Prime 3. Prime 3 felt a bit like "Halo". I want to be stranded on an alien planet again.

And Retro Studios is not the same company anymore that made the Prime games. Almost all of the staff left. A new Prime game by them may take the series in a new direction again.

As for 2D Metroid, save that for the 3DS and I hope they use a sprite based artstyle for it... Metroid: Zero Mission and Metroid Fusion look better than the majority of the 3DS games... 

Imagine a Metroid game that looks like this: 

Dude, I've played Prime. I know about the scan logs. Even with them, they don't have the same atmoshpere as Super. It's not a constest. I'm not saying those games didn't have creepy moments. I'm saying they didn't have the same type of atmospere as Super. When they were creepy, it was for a difference reason and in a completely different way. I don't think Retro would. I think they would make a game that tries to be Prime, because that's what is expected of them. Even if it isn't called Prime 4, it would be Prime 4. I don't want Prime 4. I want a completely different game. Maybe in ten year when there's been three of that, I'll have the pallet for another Retro Metroid again.

And I'm not talking about 2D Metroid at all with this. I want 2D to be on the 3DS as well.

This section of Metroid Prime 3 filled me with more dread and suspense than anything in Super Metroid.  I believe there was a similar section in Prime as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkKc8NKQK70

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing

spemanig said:

[...]I don't consider Samus an avatar for the player, so I see no tangable benefit to seeing the world through her eyes.[...]

Yet another thing we completely disagree on.  Samus has been a prototypical blank slate player avatar in every game except for Other M.  I would say even more so than Link given the face obscuring space suit.

Now Playing

HylianSwordsman said:
darkknightkryta said:

If Nintendo does a Mass Effect style game, it should be with Star Fox. They're a team of mercenaries in a heavily populated system of planets with diverse cultures and races, yet we never see those people and the only ones that seem to hire this elite mercenary team is the central government, whenever system-wide war comes around. Let's fix that. Explore all the worlds to the depth that Adventures explored Dinosaur Planet, and let's see how the team makes money between wars. Have the Great Fox as a hub to go on ground and space based missions from. Some combat, some stealth, some reconnaissance. Metroid is just humans, space pirates, and a bunch of dead and dying races. Star Fox has MUCH more potential for a Mass Effect style game.

Ok, that is a freaking sweet idea.  Too bad Nintendo will never do it.

Now Playing