By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Halo isn't what it used to Be

I think it will be a trend with pretty much all major XBOX exclusives this gen that they will have a sharp decline in sales. A lot of that has to do with the fact that 360 stole a major thank of Playstation 2 players last gen which gave MS a whole new user base that tried these franchises like Halo, Forza, Fable, and Gears (pretty much the only XBOX franchises that sell well), and that user base is back on PS4 now.

We can already see this in the fact that Forza 5 despite being part of one of the top selling XBOX franchises is about to be outsold by Driveclub which is a brand new IP that had a less than ideal launch. I think this gem franchises like Uncharted, Last of Us, God of War will effortlessly outsell Halo, Gears, and Fable.

Around the Network
Wright said:

You and me don't tend to agree most of the time, but I gotta say I concede with you there. Halo's lore is powerful, but the way Bungie handed the story to the players over the original trilogy wasn't that good. I've yet to play Halo 4, but Halo 5 does indeed look great.

I've played every Halo game except for the non FPS sidequests. Its almost like Microsoft took a page out of Sony's book with storytelling. Its just great all around and if this is where Halo is going, continue to count me in, because I was going to give up hope when Reach dropped. Halo 4 is a must buy. If you ever get MCC, i'll play Halo 4 with you if you like.

The market is simply over saturated with the FPS genre diminishing the overall brands. Even Call of Duty is starting to see a decline, people are tired of the "same old shit" but I have no doubt in my mind that Halo 5 will sell at least 8 million lifetime.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Wright said:

You and me don't tend to agree most of the time, but I gotta say I concede with you there. Halo's lore is powerful, but the way Bungie handed the story to the players over the original trilogy wasn't that good. I've yet to play Halo 4, but Halo 5 does indeed look great.

I've played every Halo game except for the non FPS sidequests. Its almost like Microsoft took a page out of Sony's book with storytelling. Its just great all around and if this is where Halo is going, continue to count me in, because I was going to give up hope when Reach dropped. Halo 4 is a must buy. If you ever get MCC, i'll play Halo 4 with you if you like.

It's very interesting to read this point of view. Microsoft taking a page out of Sony's playbook vis-a-vis presentation was, in tandem with the adoption of Call of Duty-style mechanics, the worst thing to happen to Halo, at least in my opinion. Prioritizing storytelling and presentation over drum-tight gunplay and improvisational gameplay sapped the soul from the series.

Anyway, most critics and consumers agree with you, so I'm very much in the minority on this one. 

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Wright said:

I have to agree with Stage. Halo 4 converted me over to 343. I am more excited about Halo now more then ever now that Bungie is gone and 343 has it.

Around the Network

I think the Halo 5 MP beta is one of the best online experiences I have ever enjoyed.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

S.T.A.G.E. said:

Sorry, but Bungie was terrible at telling the Halo story. 343 is doing a great job with the franchise. Halo 4 was great. Halo 5 Guardians looks awesome. I think it will sell around 8 million pending Mountain Dew has something to say about it. If you ask me, COD is the reason why Halo fell off the map. If you look at the Xbox Live most popular games list from Halo 3's launch last gen it was the most popular game until COD:MW came out. It became the second most popular game on Xbox Live has it hasn't shifted from that spot for a while now. 

And more proof to your point has to be Destiny :p

If the link you have there says this, then Im sorry for this, I cant see the iage for some reason.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Not a big halo fan even though I own them all. I have yet to try the Beta on 5, but my son tells me that it is a great game.

With that said, I don't think Halo is itself in decline, but the FPS genre is just so bloated that no game can maintain its market share.

It is near the end of the end....

Wright said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Sorry, but Bungie was terrible at telling the Halo story. 343 is doing a great job with the franchise. Halo 4 was great. Halo 5 Guardians looks awesome.

Ditto

It's a 13 year old franchise. COD took over in 2007 as "redefining" and now it's dying too.

Trends change and rarely is any video game franchise, that's essentially the same thing over and over, is going to last for a decade.