By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony announces 18.5 million PlayStation 4 consoles sold WW

At the end of march 2002, PS2 stood at 28.68 million. Should that be the benchmark to compare with PS4? Or should it be PS2 sales at the end of march 2001 (10.61 million)?

Around the Network

Damn, still definitely ~20M shipped.

Still good numbers and I expect 2015 to be even better.

Kind of underwhelming.

CGI-Quality said:
TiagoCosta said:
So XBO might have won some week after all.

Great numbers still tho

Only way you can conclude that is to know what the X1 has done in the same time frame, whether it too was overtrakced or not. I doubt that they ever beat the PS4 in any week last year, though. I'd imagine someone from the Xbox Division singing that from any mountain top they could find.

Who knows? they didn't celebrate doing XBO > WiiU + ps4 on NOV npd that much. 1 week isn't that great of a achievement imo.. if it was 1 month sure I would agree.

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
I think it DOES make much sense. We expected more because of how insane we expected the numbers to be. Lest we forget that this is the system's first true holiday. Rarely do systems do even as good as it has (and this is the fastest selling machine of all time, at that). I expect holiday 2015 to be much stronger, with 2016 being the PS4's peak year.

Agreed with this, 14.3m in a first full year is still an insane success and much better than PS3's 7.9m

Noooooooooooo!!!! sony are lying!!! they have no idea how much they have sold!!!!! 20M!!!!

Seriously though, this is pretty impressive none the less. its at least near spot on with what my initial end of year prediction was. And that 10M PS+ subscribers, wow!!

this does mean VGC is overtracking by about 1M, which begs the question. how bad is the tracking for the XB1 and God damn the wiiU???!!!

But but but surely VGChartz is right and Sony is wrong?

CGI-Quality said:
Talal said:
Kind of underwhelming.

What were you expecting?

Obviously it's done way better than I expected initially, but after seeing VGC numbers throughout Nov and Dec I thought 20m was possible.

Yeah, at least this confirms yet again that VGC numbers are way too often miles off lol. It's probably not much better for the other consoles (relatively)

The One and Only

VizionEck.com