By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony announces 18.5 million PlayStation 4 consoles sold WW

CGI-Quality said:
Conegamer said:
CGI-Quality said:

Which would mean that they're doing a fantastic job of selling these things to consumers. Can't imagine that it hasn't shipped close to that, though. At the very least, 19.2-19.5 million.

Oh, no I agree. But it does mean they aren't at 20mil shipped, so the sellthrough is mighty fine.

True. I wouldn't expect them to announce 20 million shipped anyway. I'm thinking before Bloodborne releases, they'll give us the: "20 million sold through" announcement!

Yeah, within a few weeks (which makes this announcement a little surprising in honesty)

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Around the Network
Puppyroach said:
CGI-Quality said:
Puppyroach said:
At the end of march 2002, PS2 stood at 28.68 million. Should that be the benchmark to compare with PS4? Or should it be PS2 sales at the end of march 2001 (10.61 million)?

The PS4 will not hit 28 million by March. No where close. Not sure how you'd really compare it though, since the PS2 launched at least seven months earlier in Japan than in NA or EU.

That was kind of my point. Should it be march 2001 or march 2002 that we use as a benchmark for comparison of their respective sales considering they had a different way of launching the consoles?

March 2001 for Japan and March 2002 for the rest. Considering PS2 Japan sales were pretty huge I don't think PS4 will be too far off PS2's sales globally at a similar timeframe

The One and Only

VizionEck.com

Ninsect said:
kumagawa said:
Terrible holiday sales for PS4 with 18.5 million shipped WW as of 2nd January 2015.

Sold to consumers. And if that's terrible what are the sales for the other consoles lol?

So why does it say shipped in the official press release?

If thats the case, I think that the Xbox One may be heavily overtracked as well.

In fact, I believe that the 3DS Wii U is probably overtracked as well. 

kumagawa said:
Ninsect said:
kumagawa said:
Terrible holiday sales for PS4 with 18.5 million shipped WW as of 2nd January 2015.

Sold to consumers. And if that's terrible what are the sales for the other consoles lol?

So why does it say shipped in the official press release?

Did we read the same press release? Show me

The One and Only

VizionEck.com

Around the Network

My guess is that the over tracking is 400k in September, 300k in October and 300k in November. A lot of that should come from Europe

Wait wut. They sold 4.1 million between November 23 to January 4? Yeah they probably sold just a little above 3 million in December, maybe even a little below 3 million. 

Going by that, VGC was over tracking the PS4 by ~360k by Week ending Nov 22

Won bet with t3mporary_126 - I correctly predicted that the Wii U's LTD at the end of 2014 would be closer to 9 million than 10 million. http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=6673287

Ninsect said:
Puppyroach said:

That was kind of my point. Should it be march 2001 or march 2002 that we use as a benchmark for comparison of their respective sales considering they had a different way of launching the consoles?

March 2001 for Japan and March 2002 for the rest. Considering PS2 Japan sales were pretty huge I don't think PS4 will be too far off PS2's sales globally at a similar timeframe

That sounds reasonable :).

How disappointing.

TiagoCosta said:

Who knows? they didn't celebrate doing XBO > WiiU + ps4 on NOV npd that much. 1 week isn't that great of a achievement imo.. if it was 1 month sure I would agree.

Lets not kid ourselves here. If the PS4 was over tracked by about 1M for the year, there is no chance the XB1 was not over tracked too. Truth is that novemeber NPD should have told us all we need to know being that both the PS4 and the XB1 were heavily over tracked