By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony announces 18.5 million PlayStation 4 consoles sold WW

Puppyroach said:
Does these news mean PS4 is down YOY when comparing the same timeframe (middle of november through end of year)? Last year, between november 15th and december 28th, they sold 4.2 million. I know this generation had an historically massive launch, but still.

Launch window hype would make it hard to pass, but since ps4 sold 4.1M from november 23rd to January 4th then they outsold first year by some 300-500k.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
Puppyroach said:
Does these news mean PS4 is down YOY when comparing the same timeframe (middle of november through end of year)? Last year, between november 15th and december 28th, they sold 4.2 million. I know this generation had an historically massive launch, but still.

I don't think its right looking at it that way. this is the PS4 first official holiday period. what you are looking at is the launch window. is Sony had made and shipped 6M consoles in those 7 weeks they would have still sold out. 

That was expected.

Intrinsic said:
Xenostar said:

How would they even track that, there is so many ways to get a sub even on PC, mines been auto renewing since PS3, but i still use it on Vita and PS4, so what sub would my console be attached too. 

Your sub is not attached to anything. neither does Sony care of you subbed for one platform or the other. As long as you pay $50 every year they are happy. 

However, Sony can tell who is using what though and there are many ways they track that info. down to where and how your friends list appears, which trophies you're getting, what you're downloading..... etc. 

Its kinda obvious though that the sub jump is exclusively tied to the PS4. Being that it has gone up from 2M before its launch to 11M now. And weekday you said about so many ways to get a sub, hope you are not confusing a basic psn account for PS+ 

Well they can also see which systems are registered as primary on your acc.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
Puppyroach said:

Launch window hype would make it hard to pass, but since ps4 sold 4.1M from november 23rd to January 4th then they outsold first year by some 300-500k.

Yes, you are right about that, I was for some reason thinking november 13th :).

Around the Network
jlmurph2 said:
bananaking21 said:
VGC's overtracking doesnt make these sales any less impressing. 18.5 million is a pretty huge number and next year will be even bigger.

That's exactly what it does. I don't recall anyone believing PS4 would end up overtracked this holiday. After all the under tracking and that "fastest selling console ever" announcement people's expectations skyrocketed. I can understand why some are now underwhelmed.

i recall a few who thought that..

Jazz2K said:
bananaking21 said:
Jazz2K said:
Nice achievement. More than 18M in a little more than a year is great for PS4.

How do people know it's not shipped though? So they announced it was sold through as of jan4th but doesn't it take time to know that? Like every retailers from the world submitted their numbers? I say this because they have to compile everything and maybe they stopped counting like a week ago or more or are estimating. This is kind of weird imo.

I though every console makers shared only shipped numbers.

because sony said sold through. 

So they know one day before how many they sold through in the world? Didn't know they could track this fast. NPD is kind of pointless then.

Exactly. Sony says sold through, everyone jumps in and says that means it's ps4 systems sitting in someone's livingroom... ok. Sold through... to stores. A ps4 on a store shelf is still a sold system, for them. 18.5 million shipped. Simple.

Justagamer said:
Jazz2K said:
bananaking21 said:

because sony said sold through. 

So they know one day before how many they sold through in the world? Didn't know they could track this fast. NPD is kind of pointless then.

Exactly. Sony says sold through, everyone jumps in and says that means it's ps4 systems sitting in someone's livingroom... ok. Sold through... to stores. A ps4 on a store shelf is still a sold system, for them. 18.5 million shipped. Simple.

I hate to break it you but you're wrong. If Sony said the number is sold through then it's sold through. This is not shipped. Sony has been very clear about the difference between shipped and sold for the whole generation. A direct sell through number from Sony is fact. You cannot possibly argue that this number is shipped. There is absolutely no ground for you to stand on in this scenario. 18.5m PS4s have been sold to consumers. Simple.

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

Justagamer said:

"Sold through to stores" is quite a mouthful in comparison to just saying "shipped", don't you think? As others have already pointed out, "sold through" = "sales to consumers" while "shipped" = "sold to retailers".

Everyone here realizes that PS4 might not be overtracked on VGC, right? When Sony announced that they had shipped 13.5M units, they did so FOR the end of September (3rd quarter end) AT the end of October. This means that there was over a month lag in their shipped announcement, a number they can accurately track. Unless Sony has some super sell through tracking method that is up to the day, this announcement is most likely also subject to the same lag.