By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - So it would appear Bayonetta 2 has flopped. We need to talk about it.

Which games do you prefer from Nintendo?

Old school games such as ... 187 29.78%

New mature games such as ... 214 34.08%

Yo Mama 225 35.83%

Total:626

I'm still glad they picked it up. Nintendo needs an identity beyond their comfort zone. I picked up a Wii U for Bayonetta 2 and Xenoblade NOT Mario.

Around the Network

With a such a high rating among the fans, it could have somewhat decent legs. Also, we do not know the digital sales numbers. I think it hitting one million may be unlikely, but is certainly not impossible.

NNID: garretslarrity

Steam: garretslarrity

You would make rol proud ...

Even though I'm not interested at all in the Bayonetta games, I think every high quality game is a great addition to the Wii U library, no matter how much they sell in the end (other welcome examples are imo Wonderful 101, Deus Ex and that Rayman game).

I hope Nintendo will fund more developments of Wii U games which differ greatly from their own franchises. A few more JRPGs than just Xenoblade for example, or - why not - WRPGs. Or how about a western building simulation or a western RTS game? If Nintendo don't fund these games for Wii U, no one will at this point.

What does this mean about the future of Bayonetta?

There is no future unless Nintendo funds another sequel

Does this title prove the age old assumption of many people that Nintendo consoles will only sell old school Nintendo games such as Mario and Zelda?

Assumption? It's more or less a fact for the most part. Sadly that is.

Can we still blame 3rd parties for not bringing mature games to Wii U when Nintendo themselves couldn't sell Bayo 2, a very mature title to their audience?

No, "if it's not making dollars it's not making sense" quote from my idol nxtgen720.

Should Nintendo just focus on making more old school games and give up on a new mature venture?

Well Nintendo didn't make Bayo2. I know what you mean though, I don't think they should give up on making mature games. If they have a solid idea for one they should make it!

Around the Network

Beyo 2 didn't flop. It was simply on a platform with an inadequate base size. One game should not be required to turn around the fortunes of an entire platform. Beyo did all it was capable of doing with the platform constraints it had to endure. A less title would have sold far less.

Well 500k is not bad, but not good. Hopefully it can pull 800k

In its first 8 weeks per region (because we only have that much data for US/EU), Bayonetta 2 sold 431k. For comparison, the original on PS3 sold 465k, and that's mostly due to Japan (which sold 199k for the PS3 version, while Bayonetta 2 sold 55k). The 360 version sold 426k.

Now, I'm sure people will make all sorts of claims to try to make out like this is a bad sign... but you must keep something in mind - both PS3 and 360 version sales more than double between these figures and LTD. And considering that Nintendo tends to see longer tails, it could do even better. That doesn't mean it will, of course, but it's far too early to be calling it a "flop".

CosmicSex said:
Beyo 2 didn't flop. It was simply on a platform with an inadequate base size. One game should not be required to turn around the fortunes of an entire platform. Beyo did all it was capable of doing with the platform constraints it had to endure. A less title would have sold far less.

I somewhat agree with this. Had it come out on the PS4/Xbox One it probably could have sold a couple million across all platforms but even then nothing too spectacular. The games got very good reviews but they are somewhat niche and expecting them to sell big is just asking too much. I could still see it hitting the one million mark on the Wii U which to me is successful.

Both Platinum Games titles have flopped on a Nintendo platform. I wish they could find a proper third party publisher so their games could go multiplat and sell somewhat decent amounts.