By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - So it would appear Bayonetta 2 has flopped. We need to talk about it.

Which games do you prefer from Nintendo?

Old school games such as ... 187 29.78%

New mature games such as ... 214 34.08%

Yo Mama 225 35.83%

Total:626
Clyde32 said:
PRrussiaGC said:
Clyde32 said:
PRrussiaGC said:

Almost all the recent Wii U games have flopped.

Bayonetta is around 500k
Captain Toad has only sold like....200k Units? according to VGC.
Watch Dogs Wii U hasn't passed 10k according to VGC
Lego Batman 3 hasn't even passed 20k Units accroding to VGC.
And Sonic Boom.......

Yeah only title that seems to have not flopped recently is Super Smash U, and I'll be honest, Sales for Smash for Wii U could have been better.

Captain Toad, from what we know, sits at 100K in Japan, which is far from a flop. 

Watch Dogs is at 40K, but I expected less.

You read Lego Batman 3 wrong. Let me correct it. Lego Batman 3 hasn't even passed 200k Units according to VGC

Sonic Boom is currently outpacing Lost World, which is sad. Sits at 110k

Captain Toad, sure it's wasn't a flop, it could have done better of course.

Lego Batman 3 WII U version I mean, which is at 140k according to VGC

I'm guessing they updated Sonic Boom's tracking because earlier it was lower. 

I think the problem was that you read 100K as 10K for all of them.

And still Captain Toad could have done better, but compared to what? This statement could be applied to literally any game.

This is a small scale game, not a AAA title. And even then, it sold 100K within its first two weeks in the US. Don't call anything a flop until you've seen the long term. Especially anything to do with mario. 

For instance, Mario 3D World sold 99k its first week in Japan, was it a flop?

I guess you're right about Captain Toad, It's a small budget game which I seem to forget everytime I look at it's sales.

And another thing is, when I heard this game was in the Mario universe (I pressumed and I still do) then I thought this game was going to do well.

And Yeah I think my problem is that I'm readin them wrong everytime, I don't know if it's because I get confused a bit or whatever but it certainly is the problem. 

Around the Network
UltimateUnknown said:

I don't see these thread titles anymore, so I decided to bring it back.

In any case, Bayo 2 seems to have sold about half a million from the VGC database, which isn't really that good for a title that had Nintendo's backing. It doesn't even appear as though Bayo 2 will even hit a million lifetime.

Let's discuss.

Lets discuss why people makes post such statements as fact without

presenting evidence such as lifetime sales projects from the publisher or at least knowing 

the budget of the game.

And from a Publisher's point of view, not all games have to make money!  

PRrussiaGC said:

I guess you're right about Captain Toad, It's a small budget game which I seem to forget everytime I look at it's sales.

And another thing is, when I heard this game was in the Mario universe (I pressumed and I still do) then I thought this game was going to do well.

And Yeah I think my problem is that I'm readin them wrong everytime, I don't know if it's because I get confused a bit or whatever but it certainly is the problem. 

This game is going to do well. The 200K are just US and Japan. Mario games are never frontloaded.

PRrussiaGC said:

You're right on Captain Toad, and I mean, 500k isn't what I expected for Bayonetta 2, since everyone praised it so much (in my opinion)

Watch Dogs failed, Ubisoft won't probably return to the Wii U unless it's Rayman,Rabbids and/or other indies like they did with Child of light (I believe)

You're right Batman is at 140k, I'm not 100% how much money is put towards the game and the making for the Wii U version, but I doubt that 140k will cover it. Just my believe

I'm guessing that when VGC updated recently they updated Sonic Boom's Sales, because last time I check it's stood over 20k units or something like that. Don't know if 110k was actually profitable for SEGA and Big red button thought.

140k is $8.4 million. Overall the game sold 1.5 million which brings it to about $90M. This is a definite profit. I'm very certain it costs less than $8 million to port a game from the 360 to the wii u.

Sonic Boom suffers from bad word of mouth. They were lucky to make it this far. But if they sell 400K they will make a profit. Sonic Boom was bound to flop the moment the reviews came in. It is lucky to make it this far. Using it in an argument will get you nowhere.

Without games like bayonetta 2 i woulndt have even have the rometly interrests in buying a wiiu, and i speak as a somewhat of a nintendo games hater/disliker.
I think games like bayonetta could do very well if the console would be cheaper, either with or without gamepad. I certainly would buy it along bayonetta 2 if it would be priced like the ps3.

Around the Network

Call me crazy, but I don't see how 500k without most of the holiday numbers on a console that's sold 8-8.5 million is too bad compared to a game that sold 2.08m on consoles that sold over 180 million combined.. That's a hell of a lot higher attach rate than the first game. One might even say WiiU owner are more H-core than PS3 and 360 owners. I'm not saying it because I don't want to get myself in trouble, but someone out there might be saying it at this very moment.

8th gen predictions. (made early 2014)
PS4: 60-65m
WiiU: 30-35m
X1: 30-35m
3DS: 80-85m
PSV: 15-20m

Were some people comparing this to W101 up there? Thought I saw something.

NightDragon83 said:
Sad thing is if Bayo 2 was on X1 or especially PS4 it would have easily sold over a million by now. I still give Nintendo props for backing the game in the first place, but would it have killed them to promote it a little?

No, it wouldn't be at 1 million right now, not even combined, but it will be very close (there's still Christmas). Bayonetta didn't do those numbers on 360 and PS3 in its first weeks, why would it be the case here?

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Clyde32 said:
PRrussiaGC said:

You're right on Captain Toad, and I mean, 500k isn't what I expected for Bayonetta 2, since everyone praised it so much (in my opinion)

Watch Dogs failed, Ubisoft won't probably return to the Wii U unless it's Rayman,Rabbids and/or other indies like they did with Child of light (I believe)

You're right Batman is at 140k, I'm not 100% how much money is put towards the game and the making for the Wii U version, but I doubt that 140k will cover it. Just my believe

I'm guessing that when VGC updated recently they updated Sonic Boom's Sales, because last time I check it's stood over 20k units or something like that. Don't know if 110k was actually profitable for SEGA and Big red button thought.

140k is $8.4 million. Overall the game sold 1.5 million which brings it to about $90M. This is a definite profit. I'm very certain it costs less than $8 million to port a game from the 360 to the wii u.

Sonic Boom suffers from bad word of mouth. They were lucky to make it this far. But if they sell 400K they will make a profit. Sonic Boom was bound to flop the moment the reviews came in. It is lucky to make it this far. Using it in an argument will get you nowhere.

I think Sonic Boom is like......It sells because of how mediocre it is, Sonic 06 was horrible and so was Shadow The Hedgehog, and both games brought around 2 million units sold? Don't remember right now. And with Groups like ProJared and Gamegrumps making fun of it, I wouldn't be suprised if them playing the game brought some profit. 

No one has put it on the table, but there's the strong possibility that the game could be overtracked by more than 120K units, because a guy in NeoGAF said that the game sold ~70K copies in October and less than 30K in November in the United States (NPD), very reliable apparently.

Despite that, even if VGChartz numbers are true, ales data are as of December 13th, the game sold 20K the previous week and Christmas was still ahead.

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first.