By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What is the least overrated game you've played?

Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:

I do wonder if people will get banned time around since the last "overrated" thread didn't go so well

I don't think so. I very specifically designed this thread where you have to literally be trying to be a dick to detail this thread. The natural flow of this thread doesn't lend itself to debate at all. The only way you can be on topic is by talking about how very correctly positive a particular game has been rated.

Around the Network
spemanig said:

I do wonder if people will get banned time around since the last "overrated" thread didn't go so well

I don't think so. I very specifically designed this thread where you have to literally be trying to be a dick to detail this thread. The natural flow of this thread doesn't lend itself to debate at all. The only way you can be on topic is by talking about how very correctly positive a particular game has been rated.

True! But some people just love to be negative even if its all about being positive but hopefully, that won't be the case here!

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Persona 3 and 4. Those games were amazing.

Well, thats because "an overrated game" means "everyone likes it but I don't". And if everyone likes it and you don't, you're going to p*ss (some) people off when you say that

The very word "overrated" is one huge trollbait.

Ocarina of Time would be that game if I had to pick one. The 3DS version is a hair better.

I'm going to throw a few others out there.

Metroid Prime
Super Metroid
Mario Bros. 3
Super Mario Bros.
Super Mario World
Mario Galaxy
Twilight Princess
Windwaker
Street Fighter II(and it's variations)
Bayonetta 2
Mario Kart 8
Contra
Shadow of Mordor
Demon's Souls
Mega Man 2
Ninja Gaiden relaunch on Xbox
Sonic CD
Aliens vs Predator arcade game(beat em up heaven)
GTA Vice City(oddly enough not overly big on the rest of the series)
Red Alert
Starcraft

and Tie Fighter. Great thread idea btw.

Around the Network

Well probably Super Mario RPG. It was my first RPG and to this day it's still one of my favorites and it's still in my top ten games of all time.

To comment on the OP, Super Metroid is the game that most exceeded my expectations since I had none when I bought Super Metroid. It was my first Metroid of course and I was blown away. I became a Metroid maniac overnight.

On a side note, FF7 is getting more and more underrated it seems. There was a quote I read on GameFAQs on one of the top ten lists summing up nicely what's happening to FF7. I think it was a quote from a football commentator. Something like:

"FF7 is a game so overrated, it got underrated from being overrated"

The idea being that people like it so much and still do as one of their favorite games if not their favorite that the opposite side who bash it and try to hopelessly downplay it at every turn keep making it less "overrated" the more they do it.

There aren't even that many people on the internet praising FF7 anymore because a lot of them have moved on to other games or with their lives, but still hold it in their hearts and minds.

Most famous example: The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past.
I played it only a few years ago for the first time, and to make it short: Every aspect of this game is just as fantastic as fans claimed. One of the best games ever created and still feels fresh today.

Most recent - actually current - example: The Wolf Among Us.
Started it today thinking it might probably be quite overrated (metacritic 85 afaik). Finished 4 of the 5 chapters in one straight session. The game is not a masterpiece by any means, but wow, I have to admit Telltale is really good at making interactive movies (I enjoyed this way more than Heavy Rain, the only other interactive movie I ever played). TWAU is a very entertaining game, has great characters (credit goes to the creator of the comics series "Fables" here, not Telltale), dialogues, "editing/directing" and a very well done modern film noir atmosphere.

Uncharted 2 is an easy choice for this but I'll also say Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando. It improved leaps and bounds from the original introducing new mechanics and a more likeable protagonist, with a goofy story. Shame many overlooked this series on the PS2.

I don't know if I was wrong, but above I interpreted "least overrated" as underrated. So if I was wrong, I'll mention Grand Theft Auto V.

Max Payne 3.

Can't say enough about this one.  I legitamatly felt like a kid at Christmas when I played this game.  I had an incredible time playing it and the only that sucks is it was a rental so I can't play it when I want.  Anyway, this game rocks and for all the shit that Sega has done to ruin Sonic, this game is truly a diamond in the rough(with Sonic Colours being a slightly less valuable stone).  The fact that Sega allowed Sonic Boom to happen is a slap in the fucking face; when I played Generations and finished it, all I could think was "I want more of this".

"You should be banned. Youre clearly flaming the president and even his brother who you know nothing about. Dont be such a partisan hack"