By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Most overrated developer?

I DID FORGET QUANTIC DREAM. So Quantic Dream.

Around the Network

100% BioWare
I played Mass Effect, Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age and all 3 games was terrible in my eyes.

I would say Rockstar... I just don't find their games too interesting, except Red Dead Redemption since I like it quite a lot!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

yum123 said:
I think with Rockstar and Naughty dog you have to acknowledge skill when you see it. regardless of whether you like their games of not there are incredibly well done.

But I do agree with Bethesda. They get away with alot more than most due to their name, meaning objectively they are overrated.

I agree about rockstar and naughty dog. Bethesda releases broken games but they are praised for it. Their games would be really great if they polished 'em for another year to weed out the bugs.

spemanig said:
Naughty "Gods" by a landslide.

Well the term Gods may be pushing it, but certainly anyone who optimized the Cell on a binary level isn't human. It's actually quite frightening. 

Around the Network
badgenome said:
okr said:
I agree with Telltale Games and throw in Double Fine.

I'll agree, too. Although I like Telltale's stuff for the most part and loved the first season of the Walking Dead, they can behave like outright scumbags and don't deserve to be one of the darlings of the industry that they've become. As for Double Fine, they are the kings of coming up with an amazing premise and turning it into a mediocre game. If Tim Schafer weren't such a likeable front man for them people wouldn't be nearly so forgiving of their disappointing games and broken promises.

I will soon play Telltale's Borderlands and The Wolf Among Us (the first games I'll play from them since the overrated and disapponting Tales of MI). I heard they're pretty good and I actually look forward to playing them (plus I love Bill Willingham's Fables), but the English speaking media declaring Telltale as saviours of the adventure game genre still makes me mad. Their classic-style adventure games were ugly as heck and decent at best (mainly Sam & Max) and then they saw the sales figures of Heavy Rain...

I will always admire what Tim Schafer did until and including Psychonauts (DoTT and Grim Fandango are strokes of genius, Full Throttle comes close). He's one of my favorite developers of the 90s, but he broke too many promises with Broken Age and recently Spacebase DF-9. He also proved that he can't really lead a developing company.

Ah well, there's still Ron Gilbert. He's living in the past, but I just love the grumpy old man.

sabastian said:
Nintendo.

false and not because they got a price for the best developer. Because they make the best games

Zelda - Breath of the Wild for Nintendo Switch.... Incredable!!!

Ubisoft I think, but they make good games

Zelda - Breath of the Wild for Nintendo Switch.... Incredable!!!

kingdemise said:
I DID FORGET QUANTIC DREAM. So Quantic Dream.

Agreed! How could I forget them. (Maybe because I wanted to...)

Goremichel said:
sabastian said:
Nintendo.

false and not because they got a price for the best developer. Because they make the best games

I have to agree. Nintendo is among the best.  Clearly, some folks missed the latest Zelda footage.  When it comes to hardware optimization,  they are up their with Naughty Dog. I am ranking developers by their ability to utilize hardware for their vision. Nintendo has always been top tier. 

'Best games' is purely subjective.  I am talking about pure technical skills.