By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Will Black Ops 3 revive Call of Duty for a year?

Do you think Black Ops 3's sales will be near Black Ops 2 levels?

Yes 50 33.11%

No 68 45.03%

Maybe 33 21.85%

Total:151

If COD became a PS4 tie-in... The software sales difference between PS4 and X1 would be drastic.

Around the Network

I love Black Ops 1. Its my favorite CoD. I was, imo, a beast at the MP.

Now I am enjoying Advanced Warfare, but I do look forward to the next Treyarch CoD

Platinums: Red Dead Redemption, Killzone 2, LittleBigPlanet, Terminator Salvation, Uncharted 1, inFamous Second Son, Rocket League

thedawghousev2 said:

if ps4 gets the call of duty marketing deal with activision (it's been rumored, and kind of makes sense) then i can see the ps4 sales being much higher

It doesn't make sense business wise imo because Xbox One is going to be the market leader in the US and that's where COD makes most of it's sales. That, and XBL has and always will be the more stable network (PS4 owner here, so don't go there) which is pretty important for a game that is basically online only these days.

Oh, and those MS pockets are as deep as it gets.

AlfredoTurkey said:
thedawghousev2 said:

if ps4 gets the call of duty marketing deal with activision (it's been rumored, and kind of makes sense) then i can see the ps4 sales being much higher

It doesn't make sense business wise imo because Xbox One is going to be the market leader in the US and that's where COD makes most of it's sales. That, and XBL has and always will be the more stable network (PS4 owner here, so don't go there) which is pretty important for a game that is basically online only these days.

eh i don't think xbox one will lead the market in the united states

Guitarguy said:
If COD became a PS4 tie-in... The software sales difference between PS4 and X1 would be drastic.

oh yeah definitely, if that does happen i bet it will sell 13-14 mill on ps4 alone

Around the Network
thedawghousev2 said:
Guitarguy said:

oh yeah definitely, if that does happen i bet it will sell 13-14 mill on ps4 alone

GTAV has sold abou 3 times more on PS4 than on X1.

And to the guy that said X1 will be US market leader... I'm not so sure about that. It could happen, it could not. We might even have PS4 and X1 neck and neck in the US. Just because X1 outsold the PS4 for 2 months out of 12 does not mean it has won the US lol.

thedawghousev2 said:
AlfredoTurkey said:
thedawghousev2 said:

It's winning every week right now which is, wow. Price cut or not... that shouldn't be happening and I look like an idiot because I said it wouldn't happen. A console being fifty dollars cheaper shouldn't be able to do what it did if demand wasn't there. The original Xbox was cheaper than the PS2 and so was the Gamecube... it did nothing. 

When I look at COD numbers for AW on the 360 and see nearly idientical numbers to Xbone, that tells me there's a bunch of US Xbox fans just waiting to make the jump and if I know anything about the average US consumer (and I like to think I do), those are going to translate to Xbone sales. 

I think the 'Bone is going to win the US and the PS4, WW. It's sad for us that had hoped MS would get a dose of medicine for that always online, no used game BS, but hey... you can't win them all.

AlfredoTurkey said:
thedawghousev2 said:
AlfredoTurkey said:
thedawghousev2 said:

It's winning every week right now which is, wow. Price cut or not... that shouldn't be happening and I look like an idiot because I said it wouldn't happen. A console being fifty dollars cheaper shouldn't be able to do what it did if demand wasn't there. The original Xbox was cheaper than the PS2 and so was the Gamecube... it did nothing. 

When I look at COD numbers for AW on the 360 and see nearly idientical numbers to Xbone, that tells me there's a bunch of US Xbox fans just waiting to make the jump and if I know anything about the average US consumer (and I like to think I do), those are going to translate to Xbone sales. 

I think the 'Bone is going to win the US and the PS4, WW. It's sad for us that had hoped MS would get a dose of medicine for that always online, no used game BS, but hey... you can't win them all.

To be fair, it was not solely a $50 price cut. Microsoft officially shaved $50 off and added a plethora of games at no charge. Yes Sony had the GTAV/TLOU bundle but when you compare the actual value and number of games, the X1 bundles were a better deal. Some Microsoft bundles came with like 4-5 games, a $50 gift card etc. It was not simply $50 off. I do applaude MS for being pro-active about trying to get their console out there(the gamers benefit by saving money) unlike Nintendo who seem to be content with milking their existing fanbase with no bundles, not dropping the RRP of year+ old games etc. Dollar per value wise, you would be paying less for the X1 itself than you would a Wii U when you factor in the value of the X1 games in the bundle. Microsoft panicked but they did the only thing they could and it seems to be working.

AlfredoTurkey said:
thedawghousev2 said:
AlfredoTurkey said:
thedawghousev2 said:

alright guess i have to copy and paste my fanboyish argument from some other thread: "if the xbox one can only sell when they drop the price three times in less than a year ($400, $350, $329 on black friday) with two free games one being a brand new $60 game with a $30 game, and a $50 gift card selling for about as much as a ps3 in their home territory with a sweet ass call of duty custom bone, a vanilla sunset overdrive bone and the flagship halo mcc and can only manage to outsell the ps4 during the holidays in only the united states, then yes, it is a death trap. before the holidays they occasionally got outsold by the wii u."

23 Call of Duty 3 Wii N/A Shooter Activision 1.17 0.83 0.00 0.23 2.23
27 Call of Duty: World at War Wii 2008 Shooter Activision 1.16 0.57 0.00 0.18 1.92
31 Call of Duty: Modern Warfare: Reflex Edition Wii 2009 Shooter Activision 0.94 0.42 0.00 0.14 1.50
33 Call of Duty: Black Ops Wii 2010 Shooter Activision 0.79 0.44 0.00 0.12 1.35
43 Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Wii 2011 Shooter Activision 0.52 0.19 0.00 0.07 0.78
49 Call of Duty: Black Ops II WiiU 2012 Shooter Activision 0.16 0.09 0.00 0.02 0.27
51 Call of Duty: Ghosts WiiU 2013 Shooter Activision 0.15 0.04 0.01 0.02 0.22

As far as Nintendo goes, the only way Call of Duty could be revived on Nintendo platforms is if 1) Their port isn't pathetic and 2) The game revolves around a GOOD story (Call of Duty 3 and World at War had great stories in their campaign mode), preferably one centered around world war 1, 2, or the Cold War.