By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - is Polygon racist or biased to Japanese Games? Being Japanese a negative thing?

Ruler said:
Neodegenerate said:
Ruler said:

but he is implying japanese games are bad in general

What I see him implying is that games that have specific scenarios that are associated with Japanese games (over-sexualization, repetitive combat, etc) are bad.  I think what he is doing is no different than asking someone who exclusively plays RPGs to give their thoughts on an FPS.  They aren't going to like the mechanics and the general tropes of the game, and thus are going to bash it.

Not saying this guy is great at his job, or should be respected.  To call him and thus all of Polygon racist though?  Bit of a stretch to me.

i dont call them racist, i  question if they are racist or biased sicne i dont know how this site works in the inside

Questioning if someone is racist is calling them racist, just without as much confrontation involved.

Around the Network
Neodegenerate said:
Ruler said:
Neodegenerate said:
Ruler said:

but he is implying japanese games are bad in general

What I see him implying is that games that have specific scenarios that are associated with Japanese games (over-sexualization, repetitive combat, etc) are bad.  I think what he is doing is no different than asking someone who exclusively plays RPGs to give their thoughts on an FPS.  They aren't going to like the mechanics and the general tropes of the game, and thus are going to bash it.

Not saying this guy is great at his job, or should be respected.  To call him and thus all of Polygon racist though?  Bit of a stretch to me.

i dont call them racist, i  question if they are racist or biased sicne i dont know how this site works in the inside

Questioning if someone is racist is calling them racist, just without as much confrontation involved.

no its not and i questioned either racist or biased

Ruler said:

no its not and i questioned either racist or biased

Ok

Meh.. Polygon shouldn't even be taken seriously, but I digress.

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

shikamaru317 said:

Eh, I don't really see calling a game "very Japanese" as racist. Japanese games are distinctive, very different from Western games, so a game that is "very Japanese" has all of the characteristics that differentiate Japanese games from Western games in abundance.

Now as for the GTA V score being alot higher than the Bayonetta 2 and Killer is dead scores, despite all 3 games oversexualizing women, are you sure that the same reviewer did all 3 of those reviews? The critic who did the GTA V review could be different from the critic or critics who did the Bayo 2 and Killer is Dead reviews.

Whenever the term "very Japanese" is used as an insult or mark against the game. It absolutely is. Quite easy to swap countries or ethicities and you'll how bad it sounds.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network

Polygon is just trash anyways, this being one of the reasons why. Their articles/reviews are click bait and nothing more.

Official Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Thread

outlawauron said:
shikamaru317 said:

Eh, I don't really see calling a game "very Japanese" as racist. Japanese games are distinctive, very different from Western games, so a game that is "very Japanese" has all of the characteristics that differentiate Japanese games from Western games in abundance.

Now as for the GTA V score being alot higher than the Bayonetta 2 and Killer is dead scores, despite all 3 games oversexualizing women, are you sure that the same reviewer did all 3 of those reviews? The critic who did the GTA V review could be different from the critic or critics who did the Bayo 2 and Killer is Dead reviews.

Whenever the term "very Japanese" is used as an insult or mark against the game. It absolutely is. Quite easy to swap countries or ethicities and you'll how bad it sounds.

So if I said "I love this game it is very Japanese" I am not racist but just showing my preference for the game style.  If instead I say "I hate this game, very Japanese" I am racist and not just expressing that I don't like that particular game style?  Sorry, that doesn't compute.

shikamaru317 said:

Agreed. I loathe Polygon, but this stretches the word racist to its breaking point unless they are actually arguing that Japanese games are inferior because Japanese people are inferior. Since GTA is a self-styled satire much of its crasser elements are accepted as social commentary by the social justice-minded Polygon types, while similarly sexual Japanese games are viewed as pandering to perverts in earnest. It's probably also worth nothing that GTA's advertising budget is exponentially greater than Bayonetta and Killer is Dead's combined...

Calling Vanquish "clunky", though. LOL. In the hands of a good player (i.e., not me) it is one of the most balletic shooters out there. Gies is not a racist, but he is definitely a fuckin' mook.

I could say that every Japanese game that's ever been released has been garbage, and while that would be very stupid, it wouldn't be racist. Do you know why?

BECAUSE GAMES AREN'T PEOPLE.

I cannot possibly see how a rational person can take these sorts of comments as racism. I don't think a lot of people even know what racism means anymore. You've got a culture that has different ideals and tastes that like to do things in a certain way that is objectively unique. Disliking that objectively unique style and even feeling that the culture has been putting out low-quality stuff is purely a matter of opinion and has LITERALLY NOTHING to do with the discrimination of a human being. I myself have a pretty big dislike for things that are "very Japanese," but that doesn't mean I don't like Japanese people. It's a style. You're allowed to dislike a style.

If the vast majority of movies that come out of America in a year are action blockbusters, and as such I refer to one of these Bruce-Willis-jumps-out-of-an-exploding-helicopter movies as being "very American" and state that I'm really not a fan of American movies, does that make me racist?

Sheesh.

Currently playing:

Bloodbath Paddy Wagon Ultra 9

I think it's kind of a stretch to call them (or the reviewer in question) racist based on what I have seen so far. As far as I understand the reviewer either does not like the style of Japanese games or has some kind of prejudice against Japanese games, especially if he's willing to use "very Japanesey" as an insult. In any case he should not be the one to review those games.