By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - is Polygon racist or biased to Japanese Games? Being Japanese a negative thing?

The difference is that the japanese are sexual and Americans are Puritans.
japanese games have women being overtly sexual and men being overtly masculine.
american games have naked women (Cortana among others) as obvious sex bait but without invoking any kind of sexual response from the player. Its exactly what im talking about in my gta reference above where women being naked or as sex objects is portrayed as commonplace thing. Yes of course she is naked, she's a woman. Nothing to get excited about that is just what women are.
its actually really ironic, because its literally the only difference in the portrayal of women between the two.
both are sexualized, one side calls u sick the other side calls u normal.

And dont think this doesn't go both ways for men as well.
american media is obsessed with masculinity so much so that its impossible to find a game where I can relate to the character. Ive always had a more androgynous look, cute but not sexy, is what I heard. Its why I like celebs like Leo because they stood out as more feminine looking characters.

American portrayal of male lead roles is so sexist it disgusts me.

Around the Network
bubblegamer said:
We've seen enough from Polygon to conclude how incompetent they are. No need to pay them any further attention.

Agreed.

Polygon is for fags, ban me if you want but it's the true. fags, moralists and white knights feminists. "very japanese" lol what a joke.

I don't think so. I agree with their scores for most Japanese games though.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

Neodegenerate said:
outlawauron said:
shikamaru317 said:

Eh, I don't really see calling a game "very Japanese" as racist. Japanese games are distinctive, very different from Western games, so a game that is "very Japanese" has all of the characteristics that differentiate Japanese games from Western games in abundance.

Now as for the GTA V score being alot higher than the Bayonetta 2 and Killer is dead scores, despite all 3 games oversexualizing women, are you sure that the same reviewer did all 3 of those reviews? The critic who did the GTA V review could be different from the critic or critics who did the Bayo 2 and Killer is Dead reviews.

Whenever the term "very Japanese" is used as an insult or mark against the game. It absolutely is. Quite easy to swap countries or ethicities and you'll how bad it sounds.

So if I said "I love this game it is very Japanese" I am not racist but just showing my preference for the game style.  If instead I say "I hate this game, very Japanese" I am racist and not just expressing that I don't like that particular game style?  Sorry, that doesn't compute.

I still think it fits. Writer is using a crutch rather than defining what about the game he/she likes. Saying you don't like Japanese games is fine. Saying "This game is sexist, plays poorly, and the epitome of bad characters. It's very Japanese." It's a bad handed comment used to discriminate. I can understand its usage in parody or other means, but it'd be like calling all braindead shooters just American shooters (durr hurr, get it, all americans are stupid and like shooters). It's just lazy and reveals bias.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network
outlawauron said:

I still think it fits. Writer is using a crutch rather than defining what about the game he/she likes. Saying you don't like Japanese games is fine. Saying "This game is sexist, plays poorly, and the epitome of bad characters. It's very Japanese." It's a bad handed comment used to discriminate. I can understand its usage in parody or other means, but it'd be like calling all braindead shooters just American shooters (durr hurr, get it, all americans are stupid and like shooters). It's just lazy and reveals bias.

Bias against what is prevalent within a culture and racism against a person of a denomination are two separate things.

Neodegenerate said:
outlawauron said:

Bias against what is prevalent within a culture and racism against a person of a denomination are two separate things.

Discriminatory behaviors or mindsets against a culture and products made by a predominat ethinicity. Focusing on semantics and accurate defining. >_>

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

I think that it's more to do with Arthur Gies than Polygon. From what I've seen he certainly has a bias towards Japanese games but calling it racist is a bit of a stretch, although I don't know why he called it "too Japanese" since it's like calling Halo "too American" or Romeo and Juliet "too Shakespeare."

Well if not racist the better term for it would be xenophobic... but in the least they are imbecile.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Well is hard for people to not bias again something, even for Journalist, one way or another is to avoid or never take Polygon seriously when they reviewing Japanese games or games that has a strong Japanese Otaku culture.

Well it's work for every other reviewer or Journalist as well, let say Kotaku that biased against game that is non Asian and Japanese (well some off not all).