By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - is Polygon racist or biased to Japanese Games? Being Japanese a negative thing?

i found an intresting reddit thread about Polygons Bayonetta 2 review and two images. Its interesting to see how different Polygon is treating japanese games to western games. If these 3 games are sexist or not doesnt matter. Its about that gta 5 gets praised and can also be considered sexist while bayonetta 2 and espacially killer is dead get complety bashed by polygon and get low review scores.

The same reviewer is even saying that it being a japanese game is a negative thing and is implying that all japanese games are repetetive, clunky, irritangily punitiv and what have you

http://i.imgur.com/YWVXob9.png

https://archive.today/uMjC1

I think it sucks how japanese games get bashed all the time. I have the feel some reviewers and sites are simple racist, biased  to non western games or something. Whats your opnion?

Around the Network

I feel as though there is a gray area in there somewhere. Just because you call something "very " doesn't make you racist. I have a friend from Italy who calls large plates of food "very American" and he isn't racist. There are certain things that certain cultures enjoy and/or are known for. CoD is a "very American" game. If someone from a different country called it that, they could be describing the approach to story-telling, gameplay, or graphics. Some people like things that are "very " in their media. This guy apparently doesn't.

Neodegenerate said:
I feel as though there is a gray area in there somewhere. Just because you call something "very " doesn't make you racist. I have a friend from Italy who calls large plates of food "very American" and he isn't racist. There are certain things that certain cultures enjoy and/or are known for. CoD is a "very American" game. If someone from a different country called it that, they could be describing the approach to story-telling, gameplay, or graphics. Some people like things that are "very " in their media. This guy apparently doesn't.

but he is implying japanese games are bad in general

well the GTA 5 review is done by a completely different reviewer.

Other than that I agree that this Arthur Gies guy probably isn't the right guy to review a huge pile of Japanese games.
Vanquish, Bayonetta 2, Killer is Dead and probably a few more.

EDIT: http://www.polygon.com/2014/12/1/7312633/captain-toad-treasure-tracker-review-wii-u
8.5 which is above the Metascore!

The core of Polygon was formed around ex-Joystiq staff, and there were certain segments of Joystiq's editors that really embraced the idea, prevalent in a large section of gamers today, that Japanese game design has become inferior. It's not racist in the strictist sense, although i would argue there's definitely a cognitive bias there where they could look at a Japanese-developed game and see these negative traits that they associate with J-developed games.

As someone who has very rarely played Western games, i never understood the issue.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network

Arthur Gies is apparently a huge Xbox fan(boy), the japanese don't like the Xbox so Arthur Gies doesn't like the japanese, it all makes sense.

I don't think their racist towards japanese culture but they do seem to have a small bias against japanese developed games and I understand their view or heck even share it ...

Why does this BS always happen to the Gaming community? it's like it's an magnet for sever constant bad luck. Why can't people start treating games as a simple entertainment for people who wanna enjoy themselves.. I guess the reasons for all the dumb rules and laws in the world, are because of the massive population of dumb people on this planet.. Every year i think: this can't get worse, but it does.
and there is nothing wrong Japanese games, cause it's entertainment to those who wants it.
lets talk about COD and GTA.. those games are definetly not repetitive at all ( sarcasm )
All games got the same fundation, and every new games each years either adds or improves something to the evolution of this fundation that is still being used today. it's a slowly progress. If we look at the bigger picture, almost all games a repetitive. there will always be limitations to games or else we got a god complex and the game will be boring, cause there is no fun if you are importal, can fly and break everything.. cause it will be repetitive form start to finish. but it's better with a repetitive gameplay, with several challenges and a good story.. even though it's repetitive... leave the japs alone cruel people

PSN: Opticstrike90
Steam: opticstrike90

Ruler said:

What I see him implying is that games that have specific scenarios that are associated with Japanese games (over-sexualization, repetitive combat, etc) are bad.  I think what he is doing is no different than asking someone who exclusively plays RPGs to give their thoughts on an FPS.  They aren't going to like the mechanics and the general tropes of the game, and thus are going to bash it.

Not saying this guy is great at his job, or should be respected.  To call him and thus all of Polygon racist though?  Bit of a stretch to me.

Neodegenerate said:
Ruler said:

What I see him implying is that games that have specific scenarios that are associated with Japanese games (over-sexualization, repetitive combat, etc) are bad.  I think what he is doing is no different than asking someone who exclusively plays RPGs to give their thoughts on an FPS.  They aren't going to like the mechanics and the general tropes of the game, and thus are going to bash it.

Not saying this guy is great at his job, or should be respected.  To call him and thus all of Polygon racist though?  Bit of a stretch to me.

i dont call them racist, i  question if they are racist or biased sicne i dont know how this site works in the inside