By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Could Nintendo Buy the PlayStation Brand?

Nintendo buys PlayStation if Sony dies?

Yes, create a juggernaut! 208 69.33%

No, both are doomed 92 30.67%

Total:300

Nah. Nintendo wouldn't be willing to part with so much cash for PS. Other tech companies are far more likely to take over.

Official Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Thread

Around the Network
Burek said:
I don't see that happening. I see a bigger possibility of Nintendo being bought out by someone like Samsung or Google.
Actually, the best fit would be Facebook buying Nintendo and putting all their games online with in-app purchases. That would be awesome.

That is a terrible idea. 

The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, its the illusion of knowledge

Why would Nintendo buy the PlayStation brand? I don't think that has even crossed the mind of a single Nintendo employee...

Nintendo currently has a higher risk of bankruptcy than Sony according to Macroaxis (the company everyone was using to prove Sony would go under earlier this year), with Sony sitting at a 46.66% chance of doing so in the next 2 years and Nintendo are at 76.9%.
Reports actually show Sony to be doing a lot better than people thought, their last run of losses weren't actual cash losses, but rather a balancing out of the previously over valued Mobile Phones division, it was a goodwill write down.
Many of Sony's divisions are actually highly profitable and past loss makers have either been turned around, separated into their own company or sold off entirely.
Sony are raking in the money now, with their Entertainment (movies and music), financials (insurance is their big profit maker, always does incredibly well), semi-conductor, gaming, devices, imaging and gaming are all highly profitable.
Mobiles as I say was a negative on paper, but in reality they actually either leveled or made a small profit.

Remember if you declare huge profits, then you have to pay huge amounts of business tax. ;)

Even if most of Sony's divisions were in such a bad state that they needed to sell off 80% of the company to survive they could just keep the few positives, of which Playstation is a part of and scale back to gaming and a small number of other parts of the company.
Playstation will be around for decades at least and Sony will continue to be the market leader in the console gaming sector most generations, if there's a console business to be had, then Sony will always be there.
Hell they could use a similar model to PS4 for their next handheld, build a reasonable piece of mobile gaming hardware, get all of the 3rd party content they want because of their highly positive relationship with 3rd party publishers, support it with their award winning 1st party games and take back the handheld market.
They made some silly mistakes with Vita, but that won't happen with the next Sony handheld games system, it just lacks games support, should have been cheaper and had cheaper memory cards or used SD cards, better still come with a built in HDD.

Pretty sure the Playstation brand is the only brand at Sony that is doing decently over the last few years despite the PS3 rough start and struggles outside of Japan with their handhelds.

By the time it drops into the price range where Nintendo could afford to buy the brand, bigger companies would have probably already snatched it up.

Around the Network

I wouldn't mind Nintendo owning Playstation. But Ninty would have to keep all things Sony. Don't turn it into a new Nintendo. If that happened I'd probably quit gaming. Or force myself to play PC games with mouse & keyboard controls.

PC GAMING: BEST GAMES. WORST CONTROLS

A mouse & keyboard are made for sending email and typing internet badassery. Not for playing video games!!!

I couldn't see it ever happening, though I'd be lying if I said that I didn't daydream about the two joining forces and becoming an unstoppable force in the industry. They really would complement each other so damn well.

Currently playing:

Bloodbath Paddy Wagon Ultra 9

I've heard this shit for years now.. *sony will go bankrupt next year, They are so doomed it's to late to change * well, Sony is still in a better financial state then they was in 2012.

PSN: Opticstrike90
Steam: opticstrike90

I can see it now.

Iwata: "Naughty Dog-san, we really think you make interesting games but we'd like to make a few suggestions before we greenlight your next project. First, please reduce your budget by 70%. Thank you and please be excited for this. Next, we feel there are too many cut-scenes. Related to that, the narrative is a bit too dense so please make the story more accessible to everyone, even the smallest child. We want to bring joy to families. Finally, we feel that more primary colors make games more enjoyable and that your characters are perhaps too realistic--please make them rounder, shorter, and more stylized. Also, have you considered making your main character a plumber? Just something to think about. Thank you, please have good news for our next meeting. Ah, and send in Santa Monica-san on your way out."

pokoko said:
I can see it now.

Iwata: "Naughty Dog-san, we really think you make interesting games but we'd like to make a few suggestions before we greenlight your next project. First, please reduce your budget by 70%. Thank you and please be excited for this. Next, we feel there are too many cut-scenes. Related to that, the narrative is a bit too dense so please make the story more accessible to everyone, even the smallest child. We want to bring joy to families. Finally, we feel that more primary colors make games more enjoyable and that your characters are perhaps too realistic--please make them rounder, shorter, and more stylized. Also, have you considered making your main character a plumber? Just something to think about. Thank you, please have good news for our next meeting. Ah, and send in Santa Monica-san on your way out."