By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - B-but they say PC requires hours of modding to get games to work... /s

Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:
Mr.Playstation said:
Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:
Its not hard, people just get too intimated too easily these days instead of actually finding it out for themselves how easy pc gaming really is

It definately isn't easy when compared to consoles. It is especially hard if you want to get the most out of your hardware, like me.

What does that even mean? With PC gaming, you can get tons of mods that will get the most out of ur hardware and the most out of ur games... And you don't have to upgrade a system for over 5 years... And not to mention, virtually every game is backwards compatible so if you buy a game from the year 1998, it will still run one way or another even if you have upgraded your PC several times and those games are also bound to have mods to make them look better

Yes, consoles are easier than PC but I feel like people are severely overestimating the "difficulty"

I have alot of games from windows 98 who dont even run on xp, and majority of all pc games wont run on vista,7,8 and 10. Windows 95 and dos are pretty much not compatible at all.

I rather have dedicated vintage consoles having the same os and hardware they were made at the time than an all updating thing that keeps changing and makes new problems for my older games.

Around the Network

Most of the Windows games of the 1995 - 1999 era are problematic on modern systems, true. Many of the more popular titles of that years got fixed for the Steam- or GOG-version (Half-Life, Jedi Knight, Fallout 1 + 2, Planescape Torment, Dungeon Keeper, Under a Killing Moon, Pandora Directive, Overseer, all Tomb Raider and X-COM games...), some even upgraded (System Shock 2, Final Fantasy 7 + 8, Outcast, Baldur's Gate...).

With the shift to the NT-branch of Windows (Windows 2000, XP, ...), most Windows-games of the last 15 years run without problems on a new PC and MS-DOS-classics (1980 - 1997) run great via DOS-Box or ScummVM, the Steam- and GOG-releases of these games already have sensible settings.

rolltide101x said:
sc94597 said:

No 450$ PC is going to match the PS4 on anything lol

http://www.reddit.com/r/PCMasterRace/wiki/builds

*edit* those are some excellent builds. Some people done some good shopping on that thread. But does not include the price of a mouse, keyboard, monitor (most people already have HDTVs and an HDTV as a monitor is annoying but possible...) Windows, etc.

Add 20-50 to the price for Windows (most people don't pay $100 for it, that is a rip-off price) and 20-50 for a keyboard + monitor to their $380 build. Then you have a $420-$480 PC that performs just as well as a PS4 in games. That is a pretty close price-range, considering all the other features that PC gives you which a PS4 does not. Also if you consider that you don't need to buy the PC you were planning to buy on top of your PS4, and the savings on games/online, PC gaming can be much less than console gaming in total price.  The one thing you have to consider with PC gaming as an implicit cost is power consumption. 

Yeah. You can get a additional license key if you already bought a Windows 7 key for another PC, around $25 or something. Than jsut buying a new Windows 7 fresh install version.

michael_stutzer said:
ofrm1 said:

The cost of a mouse and keyboard is around 5 dollars at a thrift store. You might even be able to find a monitor there for 30 dollars as well. Windows is $65 and it unnecessary as you can use Linux.

It's important to know that they really haven't done much of any work. They just went to pcpartpicker, which really does all the work for you.

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/ofrm1/saved/2c8zK8

That's actually a more expensive build, too. I could have cut several corners and dropped the price more than $50.

Just goes to show you that price is no longer an argument for consoles as they easily will cost more than a pc will.

You can't do a comparison like that. If you include 5$ keyboard and mouse, you should substract the price of the DS4 and add a 5$ gamepad. My mouse was 50$ and DS4 costs about the same.

Also how is Windows unnecessary? Very few games  support Lİnux ( though it is improving). With a quality mouse, keyboard, and 65$ Windows, you are way over console price. 

No offense, but your mouse isn't the standard here. You can find mice for free, but I actually figured people wouldn't be that thrifty. What do you mean add a $5 gamepad? Are you saying replace the DS4 with some crappy gamepad? Can you even do that? I don't own a PS4, so I don't know, but I figured the system would be closed to their controllers, or dedicated third party manufacturers like madcatz, in which case they'd be cheaper than the DS4, but still at least $30, likely $40. Either way, you can't find a regular DS4 for $5, but you can find a mouse and keyboard for free, or for $5, and this isn't hard. It's remarkably easy.

As far as Linux support for games:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2824526/steam-for-linux-tops-700-games-as-big-name-games-increasingly-call-it-home.html

And that's just for steam alone. SteamOS is linux-based, so of course support for Linux has been expanding for the last year.

As far as I'm concerned, my comparison is more than fair.  Not to mention that I'm going a more eccentric route by avoiding AMD and insisting on Haswell with the G3258 which results in the build being more expensive. If I had gone AMD, I would have shaved off at least $50. So the notion that you can't beat a PS4 for $450 is just wrong. Sorry, but since the Maxwell graphics cards have come out, the AMD has slashed the prices of their entire line, meaning that you can get a cheap AMD CPU, and a cheap AMD GPU which tend to be the most expensive parts on a PC by a wide margin. If we up the price to $550, the performance gulf expands greatly as an r9 280x is in price-range then, and that will run laps around the consoles.

Around the Network
ofrm1 said:
michael_stutzer said:

You can't do a comparison like that. If you include 5$ keyboard and mouse, you should substract the price of the DS4 and add a 5$ gamepad. My mouse was 50$ and DS4 costs about the same.

Also how is Windows unnecessary? Very few games  support Lİnux ( though it is improving). With a quality mouse, keyboard, and 65$ Windows, you are way over console price. 

No offense, but your mouse isn't the standard here. You can find mice for free, but I actually figured people wouldn't be that thrifty. What do you mean add a $5 gamepad? Are you saying replace the DS4 with some crappy gamepad? Can you even do that? I don't own a PS4, so I don't know, but I figured the system would be closed to their controllers, or dedicated third party manufacturers like madcatz, in which case they'd be cheaper than the DS4, but still at least $30, likely $40. Either way, you can't find a regular DS4 for $5, but you can find a mouse and keyboard for free, or for $5, and this isn't hard. It's remarkably easy.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2824526/steam-for-linux-tops-700-games-as-big-name-games-increasingly-call-it-home.html

And that's just for steam alone. SteamOS is linux-based, so of course support for Linux has been expanding for the last year.

As far as I'm concerned, my comparison is more than fair.  Not to mention that I'm going a more eccentric route by avoiding AMD and insisting on Haswell with the G3258 which results in the build being more expensive. If I had gone AMD, I would have shaved off at least $50. So the notion that you can't beat a PS4 for $450 is just wrong. Sorry, but since the Maxwell graphics cards have come out, the AMD has slashed the prices of their entire line, meaning that you can get a cheap AMD CPU, and a cheap AMD GPU which tend to be the most expensive parts on a PC by a wide margin. If we up the price to $550, the performance gulf expands greatly as an r9 280x is in price-range then, and that will run laps around the consoles.

PS4 features a high quality controller. A 5$ mouse+keyboard combo will be crappy. I don't know how it is so hard to understand.  You can't just skimp on one of the most vital points in gaming and say this is cheaper. Of course you can find a mouse for free. You can even find a computer for free if you look at garbage bins long enough.

It is easy to play the numbers game. Do BF4 support Linux for example? Unity? The list can go on.

My point was specific to that point so you don't need to be sorry I didn't say anything about power. My upcoming PC in the pcpartpicker is about 10 Tflops. Just waiting to see 980 TI to see whether it is worth the premium over the 980. Going to do SLI with one of them.

michael_stutzer said:
ofrm1 said:
michael_stutzer said:

PS4 features a high quality controller. A 5$ mouse+keyboard combo will be crappy. I don't know how it is so hard to understand.  You can't just skimp on one of the most vital points in gaming and say this is cheaper. Of course you can find a mouse for free. You can even find a computer for free if you look at garbage bins long enough.

It is easy to play the numbers game. Do BF4 support Linux for example? Unity? The list can go on.

My point was specific to that point so you don't need to be sorry I didn't say anything about power. My upcoming PC in the pcpartpicker is about 10 Tflops. Just waiting to see 980 TI to see whether it is worth the premium over the 980. Going to do SLI with one of them.

If the cheaper controller and keyboard work fine for the person, than it's not wrong.

I'm sorry, who said that? Names, otherwise you are pulling that out of your ass.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

ofrm1 said:
rolltide101x said:
sc94597 said:

No 450$ PC is going to match the PS4 on anything lol

http://www.reddit.com/r/PCMasterRace/wiki/builds

*edit* those are some excellent builds. Some people done some good shopping on that thread. But does not include the price of a mouse, keyboard, monitor (most people already have HDTVs and an HDTV as a monitor is annoying but possible...) Windows, etc.

The cost of a mouse and keyboard is around 5 dollars at a thrift store. You might even be able to find a monitor there for 30 dollars as well. Windows is $65 and it unnecessary as you can use Linux.

It's important to know that they really haven't done much of any work. They just went to pcpartpicker, which really does all the work for you.

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/ofrm1/saved/2c8zK8

That's actually a more expensive build, too. I could have cut several corners and dropped the price more than $50.

Just goes to show you that price is no longer an argument for consoles as they easily will cost more than a pc will.

LOL I am a Linux user and I do not even buy that. Lets put the average gamer on Ubuntu and play Windows games using Wine with a garbage keyboard and mouse and a garbage keyboard XD 

CladInShadows said:
vivster said:
Mr.Playstation said:
errorpwns said:

Yet somehow my mom was able to open skyrim and just play it. No setting changes, no technical issues. No downloading of patches after buying a disc in a store. Just download it in minutes on steam and play it. She has no technical PC skills. Her PC was cheaper to build than a used PS3 too and runs it better than a PS3 could ever dream of running it. Required no extra talent to run.

I have a hard time beliving that it was cheaper than a second hand PS3.

Maybe he means second hand PS4 and runs like PS2. Just some ill placed typos there.

Considering that my wife's non-gaming HP laptop can run PS3 quality games for less than 500 bucks...purchased more than a year ago, I don't see the above statement being too far from the truth for a desktop.

Just out of curiosity, what's the model of that laptop?

Currently playing

IOS - Knights of the Old Republic, Monster Hunter Freedom HD and Idolmaster Festa.

Steam-NovisNoah, Uplay-Limpanot, Origins-NovisNoah, PSN-NovisNoah, NNID-NovisNoah