By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - B-but they say PC requires hours of modding to get games to work... /s

Dusk said:
TheWPCTraveler said:
Dusk said:

bullshit. Less than a used PS3? Less than $200. You are entirely full of shit. Download in minutes? How fast is your internet? Yes, steam is simple, and cheap. That's part of the reason it's so popular. 

And here's the minimum requirements to get the game up and running:

• Windows 7/Vista/XP PC (32 or 64 bit)
  • Processor: Dual Core 2.0 GHz or equivalent processor
  • 2 GB System RAM
  • 6 GB free HDD Space
  • Direct X 9 compliant video card with 512 MB of RAM
  • DirectX compatible sound card
  • Internet access for Steam activation

I don't know how fast their internet is, but from the looks of it, it can run on a Bay Trail Atom tablet. Mind you, they can easily be found at sub-$200 price points.

Nope. 

I'm actually serious about this. I guess a tablet wouldn't cut it, so let's step up to some hybrid or a laptop. Asus is releasing a sub-$200 laptop (HP almost did so, but jacked up the price by $50). A T100, wouldn't cut it since it held its price for a year now (a price cut of only $10, it's quite popular), so let's step down to a hybrid like the Cherry Mobile Alpha Morph (which, because of exchange rate magic, and a price drop, has magically dropped sub-$200 despite taxes).

Add a cheap mouse to this (something that costs $10, at least), and you'd still stay within range of $200.

I WON A BET AGAINST AZUREN! WOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

:3

Around the Network

I know a guy that tried to download Tetris for his PC and he died. True story.

Consoles for life!

Dusk said:
errorpwns said:

Yet somehow my mom was able to open skyrim and just play it. No setting changes, no technical issues. No downloading of patches after buying a disc in a store. Just download it in minutes on steam and play it. She has no technical PC skills. Her PC was cheaper to build than a used PS3 too and runs it better than a PS3 could ever dream of running it. Required no extra talent to run.

bullshit. Less than a used PS3? Less than $200. You are entirely full of shit. Download in minutes? How fast is your internet? Yes, steam is simple, and cheap. That's part of the reason it's so popular. 

Why is it so hard to believe that the download only took minutes for a few hundred MB patches? They had the disc version!

I think he exagerrated with the pricepoint, but that's no reason to get so emotional and insult him. Perhaps the PC was a used model for a good price. The IT of my workplace gives away written off PCs for a few bucks (20 - 50 €) now and then to clear their space... last month some older PCs (Core2Duo, 2 GB RAM, Windows Vista, keyboard, mouse) for merely 10 €, just to get rid of this stuff, some old laser printers or free on top. Of course you would have to add an entry-level graphic card... these PCs were bought for office work, not for gaming.

TheWPCTraveler said:
Dusk said:
TheWPCTraveler said:
Dusk said:

And here's the minimum requirements to get the game up and running:

• Windows 7/Vista/XP PC (32 or 64 bit)
  • Processor: Dual Core 2.0 GHz or equivalent processor
  • 2 GB System RAM
  • 6 GB free HDD Space
  • Direct X 9 compliant video card with 512 MB of RAM
  • DirectX compatible sound card
  • Internet access for Steam activation

I don't know how fast their internet is, but from the looks of it, it can run on a Bay Trail Atom tablet. Mind you, they can easily be found at sub-$200 price points.

Nope. 

I'm actually serious about this. I guess a tablet wouldn't cut it, so let's step up to some hybrid or a laptop. Asus is releasing a sub-$200 laptop (HP almost did so, but jacked up the price by $50). A T100, wouldn't cut it since it held its price for a year now (a price cut of only $10, it's quite popular), so let's step down to a hybrid like the Cherry Mobile Alpha Morph (which, because of exchange rate magic, and a price drop, has magically dropped sub-$200 despite taxes).

Add a cheap mouse to this (something that costs $10, at least), and you'd still stay within range of $200.

I'm serious as well man. You would certainly have to step up the processor as ARM and Atom's aren't in the same league as desktop or even most laptop processors. The problem with those that you are talking about with the $200 price tag won't have enough GPU oomph to run it, and if they do, they certainly won't do it well. Just the processor won't in that thing won't actually cut it not to mention the Intel graphics. Unless you are getting a used GPU for a desktop that isn't too old, or a relatively newish laptop with a mediocre GPU it's going to run it like crap. 

I have a i5 2.2 quad core with Nvidia 8400M, 8GM RAM and it doesn't run the game well. It was purchased about a year ago, not for gaming, and it was $500ish when I bought it. Certainly not a PS3 level graphics with any reasonable frame rate. 

Gotta figure out how to set these up lol.

Conina said:
Dusk said:
errorpwns said:

Yet somehow my mom was able to open skyrim and just play it. No setting changes, no technical issues. No downloading of patches after buying a disc in a store. Just download it in minutes on steam and play it. She has no technical PC skills. Her PC was cheaper to build than a used PS3 too and runs it better than a PS3 could ever dream of running it. Required no extra talent to run.

Why is it so hard to believe that the download only took minutes for a few hundred MB patches? They had the disc version!

I think he exagerrated with the pricepoint, but that's no reason to get so emotional and insult him. Perhaps the PC was a used model for a good price. The IT of my workplace gives away written off PCs for a few bucks (20 - 50 €) now and then to clear their space... last month some older PCs (Core2Duo, 2 GB RAM, Windows Vista, keyboard, mouse) for merely 10 €, just to get rid of this stuff, some old laser printers or free on top. Of course you would have to add an entry-level graphic card... these PCs were bought for office work, not for gaming.

Missed that part. The rest still stands.

Gotta figure out how to set these up lol.

Around the Network
Dusk said:
TheWPCTraveler said:

I'm serious as well man. You would certainly have to step up the processor as ARM and Atom's aren't in the same league as desktop or even most laptop processors. The problem with those that you are talking about with the $200 price tag won't have enough GPU oomph to run it, and if they do, they certainly won't do it well. Just the processor won't in that thing won't actually cut it not to mention the Intel graphics. Unless you are getting a used GPU for a desktop that isn't too old, or a relatively newish laptop with a mediocre GPU it's going to run it like crap. 

I have a i5 2.2 quad core with Nvidia 8400M, 8GM RAM and it doesn't run the game well. It was purchased about a year ago, not for gaming, and it was $500ish when I bought it. Certainly not a PS3 level graphics with any reasonable frame rate. 

Then I stand corrected. You are right, and i was wrong.

I WON A BET AGAINST AZUREN! WOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

:3

TheWPCTraveler said:

BayTrail-PCs (tablets, netbooks, 2-in1) with their integrated Intel HD4000 GPU and 2 GB RAM aren't fast enough for a decent Skyrim-experience. It starts, but only in low-res with minimum settings and low FPS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXwHn9BEtns

Half-Life 2 and Torchlight 1 + 2 run okay on my Windows-tablet (Lenovo Thinkpad 8 with BayTrail Z3770), but I mostly bought it for point&click adventures, which run great.

the-pi-guy said:
bluemd said:
Exactly what i've been saying for a long time... Last year i bought a pc for my granpa with a 3sli of titan, a raid zero of two 1 tera ssds and 3 i7 with 64 gb of ddr4 and i paid it 50 bucks.
And turns out that day they were giving free oculus rift prototypes so now he is playing battlefield with oculus at 4k 120fps.

All for 50 bucks!

You got suckered on that deal dude. 

I bought 16 titans, 16  3 terabyte ssd + 16 5 terabyte hdds, 4 i7s with 256 GB of DDR4 for only 45$.  

I knew i should have asked for a lower price!

ofrm1 said:

The cost of a mouse and keyboard is around 5 dollars at a thrift store. You might even be able to find a monitor there for 30 dollars as well. Windows is $65 and it unnecessary as you can use Linux.

It's important to know that they really haven't done much of any work. They just went to pcpartpicker, which really does all the work for you.

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/ofrm1/saved/2c8zK8

That's actually a more expensive build, too. I could have cut several corners and dropped the price more than $50.

Just goes to show you that price is no longer an argument for consoles as they easily will cost more than a pc will.

You can't do a comparison like that. If you include 5$ keyboard and mouse, you should substract the price of the DS4 and add a 5$ gamepad. My mouse was 50$ and DS4 costs about the same.

Also how is Windows unnecessary? Very few games  support Lİnux ( though it is improving). With a quality mouse, keyboard, and 65$ Windows, you are way over console price. 

I dount her pc was cheaper than a used ps3, was it 100$ on this computer? Sure not