By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - B-but they say PC requires hours of modding to get games to work... /s

AMD fans this should interest you http://www.tweaktown.com/news/42073/amds-dynamic-frame-rate-control-mind-blowing-power-savings/index.html

Current PC build:

Asus Z97I-Plus, i5 4790K @ 4.6ghz, EVGA GTX 980 ACX 2.0 1377/1853/124%, Corsair Vengence Pro 2400mhz 2x 8192mb, Corsair RM850, Corsair H80i, 120GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD, 750GB Seagate Momentus XT SSHD, 320GB Weston Digital HDD, Corsair 230T, Corsair K50 Raptor, HP XQ500AA mouse, Windows 10 Pro 64bit. iiyama Pro Lite G2773HS 120Hz 1Ms G2G gaming monitor.

Around the Network
alrightiwill said:
So your mom just knew instinctively to get games she would have to download a program called Steam, set up an account and purchase the game?

I think you may be underselling technical ability ;D

Yep.  Just like a PS4 gamer instinctively knows that to play online they will need to purchase PS+ :P

r3tr0gam3r1337 said:
ofrm1 said:

rolltide101x said:

LOL I am a Linux user and I do not even buy that. Lets put the average gamer on Ubuntu and play Windows games using Wine with a garbage keyboard and mouse and a garbage keyboard XD 

Over 18% of all steam games now support linux. That number will rise even more dramatically because SteamOS is their priority at the moment.

michael_stutzer said:

It is easy to play the numbers game. Do BF4 support Linux for example? Unity? The list can go on.PS4 features a high quality controller. A 5$ mouse+keyboard combo will be crappy. I don't know how it is so hard to understand.  You can't just skimp on one of the most vital points in gaming and say this is cheaper. Of course you can find a mouse for free. You can even find a computer for free if you look at garbage bins long enough.

High quality is subjective. Trying to argue this won't get us anywhere because your preferences for quality are going to be different than mine which are going to be different for the next person. The fact remains that you can game with bargain bin stuff, but you can't game on the PS4 without a controller, and that is going to cost way more than $5.

Yeah, the list of AAA publishers is low, but by next year that won't be the case as additional steam machines are released. Also, this is irrelevant as I already stated that I could drop the cost of the build below $450 with a copy of windows. Although I don't personally like using AMD processors for gaming, they do result in sub-400 dollar builds which can edge out the next-gen consoles.

r3tr0gam3r1337 said:

sorry bud but don't get your hope up for the 980Ti as it's very unlikely, http://wccftech.com/tsmc-buys-14b-worth-equipment-16nm-volume-prediction-begins-q2q3-2015/

So is the 380x expected to compete with the 980, or is it supposed to be better than it? Because if it's supposed to be a step above it, then it sounds like Nvidia is going to be in second place for awhile.

i wouldn't get your hopes up either, http://www.tweaktown.com/news/42269/amd-nvidias-next-gen-gpus-delayed-supply-constraints-blamed/index.html

Look up the leaked benchmarks of the 380X prototype.  It beats the 980 by 20% and the 390X skull crushes it by about 50%.  Yeah a newer card will beat an older one, what a surprise.

Captain_Tom said:
r3tr0gam3r1337 said:
ofrm1 said:

rolltide101x said:

LOL I am a Linux user and I do not even buy that. Lets put the average gamer on Ubuntu and play Windows games using Wine with a garbage keyboard and mouse and a garbage keyboard XD 

Over 18% of all steam games now support linux. That number will rise even more dramatically because SteamOS is their priority at the moment.

michael_stutzer said:

It is easy to play the numbers game. Do BF4 support Linux for example? Unity? The list can go on.PS4 features a high quality controller. A 5$ mouse+keyboard combo will be crappy. I don't know how it is so hard to understand.  You can't just skimp on one of the most vital points in gaming and say this is cheaper. Of course you can find a mouse for free. You can even find a computer for free if you look at garbage bins long enough.

High quality is subjective. Trying to argue this won't get us anywhere because your preferences for quality are going to be different than mine which are going to be different for the next person. The fact remains that you can game with bargain bin stuff, but you can't game on the PS4 without a controller, and that is going to cost way more than $5.

Yeah, the list of AAA publishers is low, but by next year that won't be the case as additional steam machines are released. Also, this is irrelevant as I already stated that I could drop the cost of the build below $450 with a copy of windows. Although I don't personally like using AMD processors for gaming, they do result in sub-400 dollar builds which can edge out the next-gen consoles.

r3tr0gam3r1337 said:

sorry bud but don't get your hope up for the 980Ti as it's very unlikely, http://wccftech.com/tsmc-buys-14b-worth-equipment-16nm-volume-prediction-begins-q2q3-2015/

So is the 380x expected to compete with the 980, or is it supposed to be better than it? Because if it's supposed to be a step above it, then it sounds like Nvidia is going to be in second place for awhile.

i wouldn't get your hopes up either, http://www.tweaktown.com/news/42269/amd-nvidias-next-gen-gpus-delayed-supply-constraints-blamed/index.html

Look up the leaked benchmarks of the 380X prototype.  It beats the 980 by 20% and the 390X skull crushes it by about 50%.  Yeah a newer card will beat an older one, what a surprise.

?

Current PC build:

Asus Z97I-Plus, i5 4790K @ 4.6ghz, EVGA GTX 980 ACX 2.0 1377/1853/124%, Corsair Vengence Pro 2400mhz 2x 8192mb, Corsair RM850, Corsair H80i, 120GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD, 750GB Seagate Momentus XT SSHD, 320GB Weston Digital HDD, Corsair 230T, Corsair K50 Raptor, HP XQ500AA mouse, Windows 10 Pro 64bit. iiyama Pro Lite G2773HS 120Hz 1Ms G2G gaming monitor.

r3tr0gam3r1337 said:

That is too bad. 980 is an awesome card  with high efficiency but when you look at top performance it isn't a big jump (it actually behind 780 TI in quite a few areas but makes up for it in others). Since I'll drop 1000+ for two cards I'd like them to be inarguably the best. I'm in no rush though.

Around the Network
ofrm1 said:

michael_stutzer said:

The fact that quality is subjective is the reason Linux game lineup is lackluster.  It is not offering enough for the majority of the people. Steam machines will flop too. Though I am hopeful about Linux gaming with or without Steamboxes. Not in the near future though.

michael_stutzer said:
ofrm1 said:

michael_stutzer said:

The fact that quality is subjective is the reason Linux game lineup is lackluster.  It is not offering enough for the majority of the people. Steam machines will flop too. Though I am hopeful about Linux gaming with or without Steamboxes. Not in the near future though.

I think Linux will continue to gain traction as a gaming platform, but it will be at least 5 years before any serious gamer could consider choosing it over windows.  Linux needs 2 things to succeed:

1) A better interface that allows far easier installation of programs without constantly using the CMD as a crutch.

2) At least 90% of all AAA games on Linux.  It is way better now with Metro: LL and Borderlands, but still not even half of the big games coming out are on Linux.

ofrm1 said:

Borderlands, The Witcher 2, Metro Redux, XCOM, any Valve games. My point is that the number is much better than it was just a year ago and will get even better as more steam machines are released.

I personally do not expect Steam Machines are going to do much of anything. We have no evidence that will say they will, I am interested in them because Steam Machines run Debian at their heart and I love Debian. But right now (native) Linux gaming is still a joke and there is no evidence that will change in the near future. As I said I run pretty much any indie game I want using Wine on Ubuntu. Indie games and strategy games (with occassional RPGs) is all I play on PC but I am interested to see if Steam OS and the Steam Controller can bring strategy games to the big screen! I think the Steam Controller is going to succeed but I think Steam Boxes and Steam OS are going to flop hard. 

errorpwns said:

Yet somehow my mom was able to open skyrim and just play it. No setting changes, no technical issues. No downloading of patches after buying a disc in a store. Just download it in minutes on steam and play it. She has no technical PC skills. Her PC was cheaper to build than a used PS3 too and runs it better than a PS3 could ever dream of running it. Required no extra talent to run.

and now show her how to mod skyrim, the vanilla game sucks ass. sooo many bugs...

currently there are just 1600 games supported on Steam OS while there are close to 10,000 on Windows, for a Steam machine to even come close to taking some of the console market the machines need to be priced around the same price as the PS4 but as that consoles retail price is set to drop this year it'll be even harder to get people to buy it, the Steam OS sounds just like the pipe dream Trip Hawkins had with the 3DO which also had various manufacturers and could possibly suffer the same fate, Steam OS might not flop but the Steam machine is a risk im not willing to take!

Current PC build: