By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Will Sony and MS have the courage to compete with Nintendo in 2016?

How will this play out?

Sony will compete but MS will status quo 98 24.02%

MS will compete but Sony will status quo 21 5.15%

Both twins will compete 152 37.25%

Nintendo won't be hindered. 137 33.58%

Total:408
padib said:
Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:

Its actually not that logical... They havn't even released the n3ds yet into the west which I am sure they will be willing to keep for more than a year because the amount of effort that went into making it... Improved Camera, Improved performance, new buttons, a Cstick and plently more = a whole exclusive production line for it which means that they want to see a nice return on it... If they were to abondon it within less a year, they they wouldn't see much of a return on it at all

Secondly, they said that they are "we have production lines that are working on ideas for what the next system might be."

Working on Ideas... That means that its still in its experimental stages and this is the same thing for every console manufacturer to start developing their next gen console in the mid-life or even before that of their current console because they have to get a lot of things ready which takes tons of time to do. It does not mean anything and I am pretty sure the wiiU will have a standard life cycle and I am also pretty sure that their next console/handheld will not have the same specs on both platforms and they will also have exclusive games on the respective platform

That part's not open to debate though. Nintendo already confirmed that their future OS and software will be like what we have on the iphone and ipad.

Sure a handful of games will be exclusive to one of the other but the general library will be shared. That part really isn't up for debate.

When did they say that their games will be the same? Their OS probably will be to make porting easier for third parties but I never recall that them saying that both systems will have the exact same games...

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network
padib said:
jigokutamago said:
padib said:

Welp, they are already working on the software and the 3DS launched in early 2011. Considering a GBA-style lifespan (given worse sales for the 3DS in the west) and Nintendo's need for a new hardware platform due to staggering sales of the 3DS and U in the west, it's only logical.

Also, if I remember the timeframe for the new business strategies announced at the same briefing (QoL, Unified API) were to come into motion within two years.

Welp, they just made the new 3DS and they are already going to replace it.

Welp, the GBA launched in 2001 and the DS released in 2004-2005.

Welp, more than 3.5 years is the same thing as 2 years at most now.

This thread is a premature ejaculate. Wait and see.

Well, the PS4 will probably outsell the 3DS and the Wii U combined, so it won't help them really...

Also 2016? And you're assuming to much for anyone to take you seriously, basically nothing of what you posted has been confirmed, and any evidence for it is rather weak.

BUT, if all this turns true, neither MS nor Sony need to do anything to compete with Ninty. This system(s) will appeal to the same as all Ninty systems do; Ninty fans. And they'll also get the HH market, but that's decreasing by the second, and the combined HH sales this gen will be lucky to hit anything more than a third of what the DS+PSP did.

They do that and its the final nail in the coffin for the Wii U.

"Say what you want about Americans but we understand Capitalism.You buy yourself a product and you Get What You Pay For."  

- Max Payne 3

Around the Network

Don't compare Sony to Microsoft. They're closer to Nintendo as far as quality titles on their system. That's why I have a WiiU-PS4 combo but of course will have more first party titles and console exclusive titles on my PS4 by gens end by a long shot. Still SM3DW, WWHD, DKCTF, Smash, Kart, and next year Zelda will justify the $200 entry fee I paid. WiiU for local MP and the occasional fun single player and PS4 for the majority of my SP exclusive games along with a healthy helping of free offerings.

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

padib said:
Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:

When did they say that their games will be the same? Their OS probably will be to make porting easier for third parties but I never recall that them saying that both systems will have the exact same games...

Jizz, how do the iphone and ipad compare? You remember that Iwata mentioned this right? That the next Nintendo systems will be like brothers?

The ipad and iphone share the same OS (with mild variations), and share mostly the same software due to a common software API. That's exactly what Nintendo said.

So no proof of them actually saying it then? Ipad/iphone =/= console/handheld

If anything, what Iwata said was that it will have the same architecture (but different specs or else the console will be incrediably weak) and the Same OS but that does not mean that it will have the same games from Nintendo. Cause if it does, then it will butcher the sales of either the console or the handheld cause there would be no reason to get the other one if all the games are avaliable on one of them... And most likely, since Sony and MS still will exist, it will butcher their console sales. The reason why people get the wiiU is cause of its exclusive games and not cause they like playing the games on the TV. If you look at say, the PSvita, the PSvita TV sold only 40k in two months in the US... Sure, its not 100% proof but it is the best that we will have as to why its a bad idea

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

alternine said:
They do that and its the final nail in the coffin for the Wii U.

Pretty much.  It would assure that the Wii U never sees 20 million.

"While Nintendo steals the home console show by basically translating its portable victory across all its devices"
How can you be so sure this will happen? Actually, I'm pretty sure this won't happen at all, since home consoles and handheld devices offer a completely different experience and also a different approach to gaming. To directly answer you question: no. Sony and MS won't release a new console in 2016 or 2017. And why would they? PS4 and X1 are selling quite well and will probably last for at least 4 or 5 more years. Also, releasing a new console in the middle of the current generation (PS4/X1) can be detrimental to Nintendo, especially if PS4 and X1 succeed in becoming a standard, and PS4's (and to a lesser extent X1's) early success makes me think they can do it...they don't really have many alternatives though.

Even if Nintendo makes a console that can compete with the PS4 and XB1 in power, it wont help them much. Its not the power of the hardware that's stopping third parties from releasing their games on the WiiU and that wont change by releasing a more powerful system...

Nintendo should wait until 2017-2018, then release a cheap console that's about as powerful as a PS4. Make great games, improve their online service and the Virtual Console and continue the good relationship they have with indies. The big third party developer ship has sailed. Make games for the people who want them.