By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Will Sony and MS have the courage to compete with Nintendo in 2016?

How will this play out?

Sony will compete but MS will status quo 98 24.02%

MS will compete but Sony will status quo 21 5.15%

Both twins will compete 152 37.25%

Nintendo won't be hindered. 137 33.58%

Total:408

Nintendo will have an unified API, that's a given and if you read the investors Q&A of Nintendo properly, you will find out that there will be still a home console and a handheld device and maybe even a 3 device for their Quality of Life products (QoL). How close Nintendo's unified API will resemble iPhone - iPad we will see. But two things are for sure: Nintendo definitely will neither make a smartphone nor a tablet computer. A new contender in these markets simply has no chance, no matter how good the products are or how much is invested in marketing (anyway a weak point of Nintendo).

Around the Network
padib said:
Normchacho said:

Because it wouldn't be a competitive home console. What about the console in this scenario does anything to make the people who've passed on the WiiU want to buy one? They'd still have a woefully underpowered console with little to no third party support. Everyone but dedicated Nintendo fans and parents shopping for little kids will just laugh at it and buy a Playstation, Like they did with the PS1 and PS2 and they are doing now with the PS4.

Selling the home console for $199 won't be doable. Not at launch at least. Not only do Nintendo need to pay to actually make the console, but to develop it aswell.

They'll have another gen just like this one, crappy home sales with good handheld sales. They might make more money on them, but the OP claims that they will take over the home console market and leave Sony and MS playing catch up or having to do something to counter Nintendo. Which just won't happen, neither MS nor Sony need to worry about what Nintendo does. They are, for all intents and purposes, an also ran.

There will be no such thing as home and portable markets for Nintendo anymore. That's the basic thing you're not understanding.

Why would Nintendo care how many home or portables they sell if they are essentially one unified platform? It's the games they will care about selling, as well as their new beefed-up brand.

And also ran? I think they'll be laughing their way to the bank while you're left scratching your head.

Yes there will be...If they offer a home, and a handheld console then they are going to have two seperate markets. They are going to face different competition, home console owners buy different types of games than handheld owners, they are going to have different power levels, even different target buyers. They are going to have to treat them differently and make adjustments seperatley in order to keep them sucessful. They will be seperate products.

If for next gen Nintendo only offered one console, a handheld that you could bring home, plug into your TV, pick up a seperate controller, and use as a home console, that would be a unified system (and really awesome) What they are talking about now is simply two consoles where one console only gets ports of the other consoles games. Pretty much just like they did with SSB.

Will it be cheaper for Nintendo? Sure, it's certainly cheaper to port a game than it is to make a new one. But this certainly isn't going to win them any new sales or marketshare, and it sure as hell isn't going to prompt any response from Sony or MS. it's simply a way to try and get the same amount of money in without having to put as much money out.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

GTAexpert said:

Even if Tegra K1 is better than PS360 it will make Nintendo next handheld far more expensive than consumers are willing to pay for it and it would also make their next home console severely underpowered if its integrated into it. It has more disadvantages than advantages.

Yes, Tegra K1 surely doesn't fit in the sub-US$200 price of handhelds. And it's puny weak compared to PS4, so why use it on their next console that will have to fight PS5/Nextbox? It would probably end up having 30 to 50 times less horsepower.

Satoru Iwata himself has officially stated on multiple occasions that Nintendo's strategy for their next generation will in fact incorporate a unified API, and that their gaming systems won't be like traditional handhelds and home consoles (as in, separate devices), but rather a 'family of systems' that are alike and will play the same games (thus solving their problem of low software output). He specifically mentioned Apple and their iPad/iPod strategy as an example.

This is not a point that's up for discussion in any shape of form, whatever random internet posters may think or like; it's the way they're headed.

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

padib said:
Normchacho said:

Yes there will be...If they offer a home, and a handheld console then they are going to have two seperate markets. They are going to face different competition, home console owners buy different types of games than handheld owners, they are going to have different power levels, even different target buyers. They are going to have to treat them differently and make adjustments seperatley in order to keep them sucessful. They will be seperate products.

If for next gen Nintendo only offered one console, a handheld that you could bring home, plug into your TV, pick up a seperate controller, and use as a home console, that would be a unified system (and really awesome) What they are talking about now is simply two consoles where one console only gets ports of the other consoles games. Pretty much just like they did with SSB.

Will it be cheaper for Nintendo? Sure, it's certainly cheaper to port a game than it is to make a new one. But this certainly isn't going to win them any new sales or marketshare, and it sure as hell isn't going to prompt any response from Sony or MS. it's simply a way to try and get the same amount of money in without having to put as much money out.

Please read Cheebee's post, it's not really up for debate.

There won't be any porting because development will be done on a cross-platform API. If you need more information on this I'll be glad to provide the sources.

If you refuse to learn the facts, why are you insisting on your points?

The games won't be 1-1. They couldn't be if the consoles will have different levels of power.

Though, I'd love to hear how the games being the same would change anything I said in my first paragraph, or my third for that matter. Your thread clearly claims that Nintendo will "steal the home console show". You say that it will be a "huge gamechanger" and you imply that Sony and MS will struggle to compete.

My point, is that your points are utter nonsense.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Around the Network
padib said:
Normchacho said:

The games won't be 1-1. They couldn't be if the consoles will have different levels of power.

Though, I'd love to hear how the games being the same would change anything I said in my first paragraph, or my third for that matter. Your thread clearly claims that Nintendo will "steal the home console show". You say that it will be a "huge gamechanger" and you imply that Sony and MS will struggle to compete.

My point, is that your points are utter nonsense.

It´s not nonsense, you´re just not paying attention. I mentioned it in OP and repeatedly in the thread.

There will be one software platform, hence there will be no two separate markets. People will be playing the same games, just choosing the hardware flavor they prefer that is not a separate market. They will be serving the same games to all.

This will not just make development cheaper, it will free up considerable development resources. This was also discussed in OP. For more information, reread the OP and follow the links on software library.

If you´ve done that and you still want to talk, I´ll be available. If you won´t get informed I´d rather not waste my time.

Either way, Merry Christmas.

Okay, you seem to keep talking about the Nintendo side of this. But why should MS or Sony be worried at all? Microsoft, for instance, already has just one software library. Better still, they don't have to spend the extra money or resources developing or manufacturing a second piece of hardware to sell it on.

So, I'd like to ask you what scenario you see playing out that leads to Nintendo taking over the home console market.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

padib said:
Normchacho said:

Okay, you seem to keep talking about the Nintendo side of this. But why should MS or Sony be worried at all? Microsoft, for instance, already has just one software library. Better still, they don't have to spend the extra money or resources developing or manufacturing a second piece of hardware to sell it on.

So, I'd like to ask you what scenario you see playing out that leads to Nintendo taking over the home console market.

Thanks. Microsoft, has one console to support that is a very good point. I actually was thinking about that today. Despite strongly supporting two distinct libraries on two distinct platforms, Nintendo has been able to compete in terms of exclusives on home consoles. For example, if we were to compare exclusives for the X1 and exclusives for the U, we would see that Nintendo, despite being torn between two consoles, was still able to compete on that level. However as competitive as they have been, their output can't compete against the combination of 3rd party multi-plats and exclusives on the X1.

The question that comes next is, what happens when Nintendo is able to combine the libraries of the 3DS and the U? We know that Nintendo has seen great success on handhelds since they entered the market. If Nintendo creates a new platform that contains the software of both home and portable lines in the old sense of the terms, it would only follow that the combined platform would have that much more compelling a software library than the best of the two.

For that reason, I expect the next hardware release to propel Nintendo into greater sales due to the combined library. That hardware would usher Nintendo in a cross-platform configuration where their library is very difficult to compete with in terms of 1st party content (which often is the crowned jewel of a console) even when paired with 3rd party multiplats. I was trying to imagine that future, seeing Nintendo with a really strong library which includes all of the home console heavy hitters, all of the portable heavy-hitters, and the 3rd party exclusives of the two like Monster Hunter and Yokai Watch, and making it very difficult for the other two hardware manufacturers to compete in terms of exclusives and especially heavy-hitting ones. Due to the 3DS' success, I expected that new platform to be even more popular due to having at least the same games and then more.

When the multi-device configuration would enter the market, and Nintendo being able to brand all configurations equally and with the same library, in my mind I saw Sony and MS surprised by the success of the new configuration, and later scrambling to emulate it within the first generation of it coming to market (which would be gen 9). Knowing that Nintendo pushed Sony out of the handheld market, I was foreseeing that something similar could happen as a whole once Nintendo consolidated its software library, irrespective of home or portable implementations of the hardware.

That of course is just how I see it, and my question in OP. As long as we both start on the same grounds (confirmed announcements by Iwata last January), I'm okay hearing your view on it even if it's contrary.

While I agree that a unified Nintendo software lineup with certainly be benificial, I don't know if a bigger chunk of the home console pie is going to be one of those benifits.

For one, Nintendo is...different. Them being different is both their greatest strength, and their greatest weakness. Nintendo has a very loyal fanbase and it's because of how unique they are. You simply can't get games like the Nintendo crop on a Playstation or Xbox. Another reason it's such a good thing is that it makes it easy to justify as a second console. If you have a PS4 or and Xbox One,  how do you justify spending the extra money to buy the other? They have something like 85-90% the same games even your only counting retail games. But getting a Nintendo console? You'll have very few crossover games.

The downside, anybody who isn't a Nintendo fan? Anyone who likes darker, more mature games doesn't even give them the time of day. Shooter fans, fans of sports games. Then you have multiplat games, they do very little to help or hurt Sony or Microsoft against one another...but it cripples Nintendo.

Then you have Nintendos own handheld success. What makes the people who have a 3DS but have avoided the WiiU buy the next Nintendo home console? take a hypothetical buyer, he wants a home console, and a handheld. He buys the Nintendo handheld because lets face it, what else is he going to buy? So what does he buy for the home console? Certainly not the Nintendo one, why buy a console that you already have access to all of the games to? He buys an Xbox or a Playstation. 

There are smaller issues aswell. Power, being one of them. In order to have a unified library power will have to be at least in the same ballparke between the handheld and the home consoles. This will no doubt hinder the home console to at least some degree. If Nintendo launches with a console that isn't even as powerful as the Xbox One the simple notion will create negative word of mouth that could drown the console. It'll be seen as dated and not a serious gaming machine by the hardcore gamers, and though that demographic is fairly small. They are largely the voice of the gaming community and have the power to sway the main market.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think Nintendo needs a bigger chunk of the home console market. I think it is better for Nintendo to try and be a gamers second console than it is for them to try and go toe to toe with Playstation for the core gaming market. The changes that have been outlined show that Nintendo is aware of it's position and that they know how to double down and make themselves financially stronger within that position.

I just don't see Nintendo's place in the home console market changing until either they do, or the market does. and I just don't see either happening in the near future.

Bet with Adamblaziken: