By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Will Sony and MS have the courage to compete with Nintendo in 2016?

How will this play out?

Sony will compete but MS will status quo 98 24.02%

MS will compete but Sony will status quo 21 5.15%

Both twins will compete 152 37.25%

Nintendo won't be hindered. 137 33.58%

Total:408
DanneSandin said:
zorg1000 said:
DanneSandin said:

But you gotta remember that that's a lot of cross buying; people that already own a Wii U is likely to also own a 3DS... I mena, a lot of thesales of the 3DS is due to people owning more than one of those...

Yes I did take that into account. Wii U+3DS is at 10.2m this year, if they were unified perhaps sales would be more like 8-9 million or so which is still right between XB1 & PS4.

It'll definetely be interesting to see how a unified Nintendo system stacks up and how much it'll sell. If it only sells to the Nintendo fan base, then I think we can subtract all the 3DS sales...

Why would we subtract the 3DS sales? What would happen to make them not move forward?

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:

So next-gen Nintendo should make a typical handheld and a TV version with all the same games, this brings down R&D costs while being able to pump out more software.

And instead of selling Mario Kart 7 + 8 or Super Smash Bros. 3DS + Wii U the same people, they only sell 1 copy of Mario Kart Fusion or Super Smash Bros. Fusion per customer.

The WiiU is only selling to dedicated Nintendo fans, and parents buying them for their little kids. There is no evidence to suggest that this will change with a new console.

Don't get me wrong, Nintendo can certainly make a living selling to those groups. But they won't be "winning" a console generations like that.

Also, don't bring up Nintendo games as a reason that they'll be able to beat MS or Sony. They aren't, anybody who isn't buying a Nintendo console doesn't give a crap about Nintendo games. I would actually argue that Nintendo games are the reason they are doing so poorly. The rest of the business has moved on, and Nintendo has not.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

zorg1000 said:
DanneSandin said:

It'll definetely be interesting to see how a unified Nintendo system stacks up and how much it'll sell. If it only sells to the Nintendo fan base, then I think we can subtract all the 3DS sales...

Why would we subtract the 3DS sales? What would happen to make them not move forward?

Like I said, if this thing ONLY speaks to the Nintendo fans, the loyalists, then it stands to reason that it won't fare any better than Wii U; 95% of people that's bought the Wii U are the fans, and it goes to show how big that fan base is, thus, why would we expect the Fusion to sell better if only fans bought it? I don't know if I make any sense, but do you understand what I'm trying to say?

This thing needs to sell to as many people as possible, that's all I'm trying to say.

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Conina said:
zorg1000 said:

So next-gen Nintendo should make a typical handheld and a TV version with all the same games, this brings down R&D costs while being able to pump out more software.

And instead of selling Mario Kart 7 + 8 or Super Smash Bros. 3DS + Wii U the same people, they only sell 1 copy of Mario Kart Fusion or Super Smash Bros. Fusion per customer.

And the resources like staff, budget and time that become available by not having to do 2 separate iterations of the same franchise, will go towards developing other projects customers will be able to purchase. As in, more games. Diversifying their portfolio, more variety and different genres. The very thing everyone everywhere claims Nintendo's lacking, all the time. I'd very much like to be informed as to the reality in which this is not a positive thing.

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

Around the Network
Normchacho said:
The WiiU is only selling to dedicated Nintendo fans, and parents buying them for their little kids. There is no evidence to suggest that this will change with a new console.

Don't get me wrong, Nintendo can certainly make a living selling to those groups. But they won't be "winning" a console generations like that.

Also, don't bring up Nintendo games as a reason that they'll be able to beat MS or Sony. They aren't, anybody who isn't buying a Nintendo console doesn't give a crap about Nintendo games. I would actually argue that Nintendo games are the reason they are doing so poorly. The rest of the business has moved on, and Nintendo has not.

The evidence is called the Wii =) It is possible for Nintendo to make something that fans alone want. But I agree, if Nintendo wanna sell more home consoles, they need 3rd party games and parity with Sony's and MS's consoles.

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

DanneSandin said:
JustBeingReal said:

1) I'd agree if moving over to unified memory and advanced, but cheap (if production starts somewhere between July-August 2018) processing technology wasn't easily accessible to them.

It also benefits their own developers.

The past choices only became stupid in hindsight, like N64's cartridge tech, cartridges had been standard for multiple generations and CD had been very expensive prior to PS1 coming out.

Gamecube didn't really have any stupid hardware querks.

Wii was the market leader and it's tech appealed to the masses, outside of the normal gamer crowd, so I'd argue that it's not necessarily stupid what Nintendo has done, at least from a perspective of the kind of technology they've used in their platforms.

X86 becoming a standard within the console market hasn't happened until the 8th gen, it's likely one of the primary reasons why Wii U doesn't get 3rd party support. Nintendo actually wanted 3rd party support for the Wii U, which is apparent from Reggie's comments when Wii U was unveiled, maybe it was all marketing fluff and no actual action (which is one stupid moment for Nintendo I'll give you,  given that devs later said that Nintendo's support for their hardware to external studios was very much lacking) to make the 3rd party/Nintendo relationship a solid one, but from a business and importantly a financial point of view if Nintendo wants money, then they need to develop their next system to work for all of their potential developer base.

Wii U appeals to Indies and Indies are the future too, so even if Nintendo looks to appease both their own studios and indies then they need to use technology that makes everyone's lives easier, which means Universal Memory (because of the flexibility that will bring) and obviously the cheaper, but more advanced AMD tech will just be so much better compared to what is currently in use on basically every console and PC.

The benefits of waiting for this memory  and processing architecture to become a thing are glaringly obvious to anyone that even takes a slight interest in the market, Nintendo are apparently looking to hire talented advisors on this, like Mark Cerny type figures to build their next platform, so it just makes sense that they'd use this tech in their next box.

2) We don't hear these rumblings from anyone besides people that don't develop on PS4 and XB1. At PSX the developers were saying that there's a lot of potential for what can be done on PS4, XB1 is similar architecture so by extension it to has a measure of that same potential, there's quite a bit of life left in both boxes, with GPGPU, HSA and all of those features that can be tapped into, that just hasn't happened yet.

Both consoles have the legs to achieve some amazing things 4-5 years from now, optimization has barely started, right now the results we're seeing are from just filling up the resources of each platform, not using them efficiently and refining code to the upteenth degree.

2019 would mean a 6 year standard, which fits with when Sony has released in the past. Sony and Microsoft don't want to P*** Off all of their install base by releasing too soon. The tech in both consoles isn't weak for it's intended market.

I guess it's always possible that with the tech being available to the industry that Sony and Microsoft will bite earlier and release in say 2018, but I just don't buy they'd be willing to annoy their respective install bases. A 5 year generation isn't really necessary when we haven't yet seen what PS4 or XB1 can really do. It's only when technology has been fully taken advantage of and developers can't do anything new with either system that it becomes necessary to release the successor to your current platform.

You're very much welcome!

I hope you're right about point one! Being a Nintendo fan, I'd like to see them give their HW the best possible chances and tech, so that would be really neat. But considering how Nintendo always seem to flounder with their HW I remain skeptical.

Since this is still early in the gen, I'd expect to see much improvements in the games to come, especially when we start to move away freom last gen more and more, and not trying to make a game fit for 4 different consoles spanning 2 gens... I'm no expert at all about these kind of things, but from what I gather, this gen isn't that big a leap in tech power that the last gen was, no? So that's why I'm thinking it won't last as long, and considering that most gen has lasted about 5 years, that's why I said 2018 - but 2019 isn't improbable at all. Maybe it makes more sense to launch new consoles then, but I don't think we'll have to wait to 2020 to see new systems from Sony and MS.

But the question is, how will Nintendo's console(s) stack up to PS5/XB2 if it's released quite a few yearS before them? I wonder how that'll effect Nintendo...

I'm a Nintendo fan too, well aware of the mistakes they've made in their hardware decisions, but the way hardware design should be handled has all but been laid out for practically every console manufacturer, so the past floundering in hardware design shouldn't happen this time.

The jump in performance compared to last generation is actually much better than most people think, we've gone from 512MBs of memory, to 8192MB, so that's a 16X jump, the bandwidth jump is there, last generation the CPU and GPU were on separate dies, this gen they're on the same one, this decreases the talk time between those components and greatly increases efficiency in coding, so much less of the hardware's potential is wasted.

In the case of PS4 there's only one pool of memory, which reduces the need for excessive reading and writing.

The GPU can handle AI and Physics coding and that can be handled alongside graphics processing.

The performance boost is definitely there compared to last generation, the hardware querks are there to tap with developers having to create new techniques to take advantage of that potential.

Sony has never released a console less than 6 years after their last home platform, even in weak hardware there are always better ways to code for that system to extract more potential out of it, even Wii U will see this happen, regardless of it not being a huge step up from PS3 and Xbox 360, although Wii U has the same kind of GPGPU technology as PS4 and XB1, so it also shares the ability to process physics and AI on the GPU.

If Nintendo launches in 2018, while Sony & Microsoft launch in 2019 there's only a year gap, we're passed the architecture shift, the tech can be very comparable to PS5 and XB2, the performance difference would depend on whether Nintendo decides to go with a small form factor box again, along with cost, although PS4 is noticeably more powerful than XB1, while PS4 actually has the smaller form factor.

If Nintendo doesn't wait until 2018 and decides to bite the bullet and launch with older tech of say 2016 they will be shooting themselves in the foot again, potentially giving themselves a Wii vs PS3/360 situation again and they definitely don't want that, especially if they're not in a situation where they can sell to a much wider audience with a gimmick like motion gaming.

A 2018 launch for the NNES (New Nintendo Entertainment System, it's the name I think Nintendo should go with for their next console) seems like a good and logical time for Nintendo to release their next console, it offers up use of truly next-generation processing and memory hardware, which most importantly starts to become cost effective when you look at future tech developments and how the market works.

Conina said:
zorg1000 said:

Well for one, there is no rule that states Nintendo can't release 2 Mario Kart games on the same platform. Sony releases 2 Gran Turismo titles per platform and Microsoft releases Forza pretty much annually so no reason why Nintendo can't make 2 MK games. Also if they choose to still release one, that leaves them open to make new ip or bring back older forgotten ones. The Mario Kart team could release MK9 in 2017 then bring back F-Zero or make a Need for Speed style new ip with Nintendo's own twist to it.

Also take a look at Mario 3D Land, it released for 3DS and it's on its way to selling 10 million, 3D World released for Wii U and is at 2.5 million. Had it released on 3DS, it could very well have sold 2-4x as much.

So with this unified platform it lets Nintendo release games and not have to worry about them selling poorly because they are on a device with a low install base, they can also pump out games at a more consistant pace due to not having two seperate devices to develop for, whether that be sequels, reboots, spinoffs, or new ip.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

DanneSandin said:
zorg1000 said:
DanneSandin said:

Like I said, if this thing ONLY speaks to the Nintendo fans, the loyalists, then it stands to reason that it won't fare any better than Wii U; 95% of people that's bought the Wii U are the fans, and it goes to show how big that fan base is, thus, why would we expect the Fusion to sell better if only fans bought it? I don't know if I make any sense, but do you understand what I'm trying to say?

This thing needs to sell to as many people as possible, that's all I'm trying to say.

I just don't get why u are throwing 3DS sales out of the equation, these new devices will essentially be Nintendo's next gen handheld plus a TV version of it that share a library. 3DS and every previous Nintendo handheld has gotten solid 3rd party support, mostly niche Japanese titles along with child-friendly licensed games. With this formula 3DS has been able to sell 50 million in just under 4 years and will go on to sell something like 65m or so. If Nintendo releases these devices at the right price with the right marketing and the right games then there is no reason to believe they will only sell 15m combined, it just doesnt make sense.

DanneSandin said:
Normchacho said:

The evidence is called the Wii =) It is possible for Nintendo to make something that fans alone want. But I agree, if Nintendo wanna sell more home consoles, they need 3rd party games and parity with Sony's and MS's consoles.

The Wii was a fad though.  Nintendo hasn't been able to find long term success in quite a while.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.