By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Will Sony and MS have the courage to compete with Nintendo in 2016?

How will this play out?

Sony will compete but MS will status quo 98 24.02%

MS will compete but Sony will status quo 21 5.15%

Both twins will compete 152 37.25%

Nintendo won't be hindered. 137 33.58%

Total:408
Normchacho said:
The WiiU is only selling to dedicated Nintendo fans, and parents buying them for their little kids. There is no evidence to suggest that this will change with a new console.

Don't get me wrong, Nintendo can certainly make a living selling to those groups. But they won't be "winning" a console generations like that.

Also, don't bring up Nintendo games as a reason that they'll be able to beat MS or Sony. They aren't, anybody who isn't buying a Nintendo console doesn't give a crap about Nintendo games. I would actually argue that Nintendo games are the reason they are doing so poorly. The rest of the business has moved on, and Nintendo has not.

Well when u add in 3DS sales, Nintendo will have sold about 60 million units of hardware so far this generation and lifetime could be 80 million or so. That's what this thread is about, Nintendo merging the handheld & console business by allowing either device to have access to the same library.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network

In 2 years PS4 will be at around 40-50 million(XB1 around 20-25 m) and priced around 300$ with huge library to play. How much do you think Nintendo next hybrid going to cost and how many titles it will get in 2016 if still many of their studios are making games for Wii U and 3DS in 2015? Their game development should be already 50% finished if they want to release in 2016. I bet nintendo has lost their Home console and its not possible to get it back to become competitive with Sony/MS. Only thing they can do is try to use Handhelds market differnet way using their IPs which is their big strenth instead of focusing on home console.

GAMING is not about spending hours to pass/waste our time just for fun,

its a Feeling/Experience about a VIRTUAL WORLD we can never be in real, and realizing some of our dreams (also creating new ones).

So, Feel Emotions, Experience Adventure/Action, Challenge Game, Solve puzzles and Have fun.

PlayStation is about all-round "New experiences" using new IP's to provide great diversity for everyone.

Xbox is always about Online and Shooting.

Nintendo is always about Fun games and milking IP's.

Normchacho said:
DanneSandin said:
Normchacho said:
The WiiU is only selling to dedicated Nintendo fans, and parents buying them for their little kids. There is no evidence to suggest that this will change with a new console.

Don't get me wrong, Nintendo can certainly make a living selling to those groups. But they won't be "winning" a console generations like that.

Also, don't bring up Nintendo games as a reason that they'll be able to beat MS or Sony. They aren't, anybody who isn't buying a Nintendo console doesn't give a crap about Nintendo games. I would actually argue that Nintendo games are the reason they are doing so poorly. The rest of the business has moved on, and Nintendo has not.

The evidence is called the Wii =) It is possible for Nintendo to make something that fans alone want. But I agree, if Nintendo wanna sell more home consoles, they need 3rd party games and parity with Sony's and MS's consoles.

The Wii was a fad though.  Nintendo hasn't been able to find long term success in quite a while.

I don't know how you would describe the DS... That's two consoles that's evidence enough that Nintendo might hit it big next gen. But like I said, they need the 3rd parties; it's a lot safer a bet than trying to find the next Wii.

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

With the gap in hardware raw power, between sony/microsoft and nintendo, nintengo could be in 11 genereation already and MS and/or sony wouldnt need to upgrade nothing.

"We all make choices, but in the end, our choices make us" - Andrew Ryan, Bioshock.

zorg1000 said:
DanneSandin said:

Like I said, if this thing ONLY speaks to the Nintendo fans, the loyalists, then it stands to reason that it won't fare any better than Wii U; 95% of people that's bought the Wii U are the fans, and it goes to show how big that fan base is, thus, why would we expect the Fusion to sell better if only fans bought it? I don't know if I make any sense, but do you understand what I'm trying to say?

This thing needs to sell to as many people as possible, that's all I'm trying to say.

I just don't get why u are throwing 3DS sales out of the equation, these new devices will essentially be Nintendo's next gen handheld plus a TV version of it that share a library. 3DS and every previous Nintendo handheld has gotten solid 3rd party support, mostly niche Japanese titles along with child-friendly licensed games. With this formula 3DS has been able to sell 50 million in just under 4 years and will go on to sell something like 65m or so. If Nintendo releases these devices at the right price with the right marketing and the right games then there is no reason to believe they will only sell 15m combined, it just doesnt make sense.

I'm not throwing out the 3DS sales, I'm merely saying that, IF this new device only manages to lure in the already Nintendo faithful, it's impossible to get 3DS sales. I agree completely that that's an unlikely scenario though. I just think it's too early to tell how well it'll sell compared to PS4/X1

Around the Network
biglittlesps said:

In 2 years PS4 will be at around 40-50 million(XB1 around 20-25 m) and priced around 300$ with huge library to play. How much do you think Nintendo next hybrid going to cost and how many titles it will get in 2016 if still many of their studios are making games for Wii U and 3DS in 2015? Their game development should be already 50% finished if they want to release in 2016. I bet nintendo has lost their Home console and its not possible to get it back to become competitive with Sony/MS. Only thing they can do is try to use Handhelds market differnet way using their IPs which is their big strenth instead of focusing on home console.

PS4 will probably have sold around 40-50 million by the end of next year given how many games are coming out on it next year, by the end of 2017 we're probably looking at more like 60-70 million.

Nintendo has quite a number of exclusives releasing next year, enough to definitely support their core buyers, drive new gamers to the system and with a price drop very likely that will only support the profits of the system through moving more software and peripherals. Nintendo hasn't lost their home console and there's still a place for them in the market while they're making exclusives for that home system. Saying that a Nintendo home platform is a lost cause isn't a realistic assessment of how the console market works at all.

zorg1000 said:
Normchacho said:

Well when u add in 3DS sales, Nintendo will have sold about 60 million units of hardware so far this generation and lifetime could be 80 million or so. That's what this thread is about, Nintendo merging the handheld & console business by allowing either device to have access to the same library.

Adding 3DS sales just muddies the waters of WiiU's failure. 3DS is successful because it is a low-priced handheld for little kids and Japanese. Most of its sales are fueled by its low price and a handful of mega-successful franchises that would most likely struggle transpated onto a big screen.

To think that people who bought into DS/3DS would be willing to spend upwards of $300 for the ability to play handheld games on a big screen is a bit naive. Majority of handheld users are little kids who don't have free access to the big screen, and whose parents will not spend extra money on it.

A such proposed fusion console would probably fail as much as WiiU +/-10%. Nintendo just needs to continue supporting the portable market, as the big screen is increasingly more off limits to them, outside the few hardcore fans and kindergarteners...

JustBeingReal said:

If Nintendo launches in 2018, while Sony & Microsoft launch in 2019 there's only a year gap, we're passed the architecture shift, the tech can be very comparable to PS5 and XB2, the performance difference would depend on whether Nintendo decides to go with a small form factor box again, along with cost, although PS4 is noticeably more powerful than XB1, while PS4 actually has the smaller form factor.

If Nintendo doesn't wait until 2018 and decides to bite the bullet and launch with older tech of say 2016 they will be shooting themselves in the foot again, potentially giving themselves a Wii vs PS3/360 situation again and they definitely don't want that, especially if they're not in a situation where they can sell to a much wider audience with a gimmick like motion gaming.

A 2018 launch for the NNES (New Nintendo Entertainment System, it's the name I think Nintendo should go with for their next console) seems like a good and logical time for Nintendo to release their next console, it offers up use of truly next-generation processing and memory hardware, which most importantly starts to become cost effective when you look at future tech developments and how the market works.

But how likely is it that Nintendo will wait until 2018 to launch new hardware? 3DS is down YOY, and will only decline further, Wii U isn't selling well at all, so what choice to they have? 2017 seems pretty reasonable to me. I agree that they should delay the launch for as long as possible, so that they have a comparable console to sonys and MSs, but considering their situation....

i expect 2017....

i like the idea of fusion... but can be a little risky.... at least when home console fail... nintendo can extract money from their handheld...

but oh well... nintendo can take my money

pokemon on big screen..... drool

zorg1000 said:
Normchacho said:

So? and if you combine the PS3 and PSP sales they are over 164 million. What do either of those have to do with anything? The thread is about Nintendo somehow taking over the home console buisisness. Nintendo merging the handheld and console business brings them no closer to that.

What is Nintendo's plan anyways? Try to prop up it's home consoles by attaching them to the handhelds? How many WiiU owners don't already have a 3DS? What do you think is holding back the WiiU?

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.