By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Will Sony and MS have the courage to compete with Nintendo in 2016?

How will this play out?

Sony will compete but MS will status quo 98 24.02%

MS will compete but Sony will status quo 21 5.15%

Both twins will compete 152 37.25%

Nintendo won't be hindered. 137 33.58%

Total:408

Cross platform games and/or cohesive OS's do not n necessarily spell a win for Nintendo though especially when we know nothing about the competition.

There are far too many variables and so little we know to boldly predict anything.

Around the Network
padib said:
Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:
Wait, why do you think that Nintendo will release their console in 2016?

Welp, they are already working on the software and the 3DS launched in early 2011. Considering a GBA-style lifespan (given worse sales for the 3DS in the west) and Nintendo's need for a new hardware platform due to staggering sales of the 3DS and U in the west, it's only logical.

Also, if I remember the timeframe for the new business strategies announced at the same briefing (QoL, Unified API) were to come into motion within two years.

Nintendo will launch their next handheld in the next two years. Their console won't launch before 2017.

DanneSandin said:
JustBeingReal said:

If Nintendo launches in 2018, while Sony & Microsoft launch in 2019 there's only a year gap, we're passed the architecture shift, the tech can be very comparable to PS5 and XB2, the performance difference would depend on whether Nintendo decides to go with a small form factor box again, along with cost, although PS4 is noticeably more powerful than XB1, while PS4 actually has the smaller form factor.

If Nintendo doesn't wait until 2018 and decides to bite the bullet and launch with older tech of say 2016 they will be shooting themselves in the foot again, potentially giving themselves a Wii vs PS3/360 situation again and they definitely don't want that, especially if they're not in a situation where they can sell to a much wider audience with a gimmick like motion gaming.

A 2018 launch for the NNES (New Nintendo Entertainment System, it's the name I think Nintendo should go with for their next console) seems like a good and logical time for Nintendo to release their next console, it offers up use of truly next-generation processing and memory hardware, which most importantly starts to become cost effective when you look at future tech developments and how the market works.

But how likely is it that Nintendo will wait until 2018 to launch new hardware? 3DS is down YOY, and will only decline further, Wii U isn't selling well at all, so what choice to they have? 2017 seems pretty reasonable to me. I agree that they should delay the launch for as long as possible, so that they have a comparable console to sonys and MSs, but considering their situation....

It's very likely, because that's when costs will start to become reasonable for them to produce their next home console, it's when the tech is at a mature production level, sooner than 2018 and it's expensive or they're stuck with last generation technology. It's not really a delay, because it's a 6 year gen, which is pretty much normal now. Launching in 2016 only gives them a 4 year generation, basically flipping the bird to the people that bought a Wii U.

As for 3DS we have New 3DS, which will likely launch early next year in the west, that prolongs the 3DS architecture until Nintendo launches their fusion system. Wii U will likely see growth next year, considering the games coming too it and we have no idea about the games that will come in 2016 onwards for that system. The situation is what Nintendo makes of it, they can certainly ride out the rest of the 8th gen for another 3-4years, then the demand will be there for their next system, it's certainly not there yet and Nintendo certainly hasn't tapped out what can be creatively done on the Wii U.

Burek said:
zorg1000 said:
Normchacho said:
The WiiU is only selling to dedicated Nintendo fans, and parents buying them for their little kids. There is no evidence to suggest that this will change with a new console.

Don't get me wrong, Nintendo can certainly make a living selling to those groups. But they won't be "winning" a console generations like that.

Also, don't bring up Nintendo games as a reason that they'll be able to beat MS or Sony. They aren't, anybody who isn't buying a Nintendo console doesn't give a crap about Nintendo games. I would actually argue that Nintendo games are the reason they are doing so poorly. The rest of the business has moved on, and Nintendo has not.

Well when u add in 3DS sales, Nintendo will have sold about 60 million units of hardware so far this generation and lifetime could be 80 million or so. That's what this thread is about, Nintendo merging the handheld & console business by allowing either device to have access to the same library.

Adding 3DS sales just muddies the waters of WiiU's failure. 3DS is successful because it is a low-priced handheld for little kids and Japanese. Most of its sales are fueled by its low price and a handful of mega-successful franchises that would most likely struggle transpated onto a big screen.

To think that people who bought into DS/3DS would be willing to spend upwards of $300 for the ability to play handheld games on a big screen is a bit naive. Majority of handheld users are little kids who don't have free access to the big screen, and whose parents will not spend extra money on it.

A such proposed fusion console would probably fail as much as WiiU +/-10%. Nintendo just needs to continue supporting the portable market, as the big screen is increasingly more off limits to them, outside the few hardcore fans and kindergarteners...

What are u even talking about? If the console is merely a console version of the next handheld why would it cost $300+? Look at Vita/Vita TV, the handheld is $199 with a game and memory card, the console version is $139 with a game, controller, and memory card. This is similar to what I'm talking about Nintendo doing, release a handheld then have a console version of it that is a bit more powerful in order to play games at a higher resolution on the TV. Either device could retail for $199. It depends on whether u prefer playing on a handheld or a console.

This allows Nintendo to save on R&D costs while being able to have stronger software output. So in theory if Nintendo is able to keep a majority of its handheld market next gen then this unified approach will sell 50-70 million. The sales from the console version is just icing on the cake, a device that brings in profits even if it only sells similar to Wii U.

I don't know at all how u think most of 3DS successful franchises wouldn't translate well to the big screen since outside of Pokemon pretty much all of 3DS' big sellers originated on consoles.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Normchacho said:
zorg1000 said:
Normchacho said:
The WiiU is only selling to dedicated Nintendo fans, and parents buying them for their little kids. There is no evidence to suggest that this will change with a new console.

Don't get me wrong, Nintendo can certainly make a living selling to those groups. But they won't be "winning" a console generations like that.

Also, don't bring up Nintendo games as a reason that they'll be able to beat MS or Sony. They aren't, anybody who isn't buying a Nintendo console doesn't give a crap about Nintendo games. I would actually argue that Nintendo games are the reason they are doing so poorly. The rest of the business has moved on, and Nintendo has not.

Well when u add in 3DS sales, Nintendo will have sold about 60 million units of hardware so far this generation and lifetime could be 80 million or so. That's what this thread is about, Nintendo merging the handheld & console business by allowing either device to have access to the same library.

So? and if you combine the PS3 and PSP sales they are over 164 million. What do either of those have to do with anything? The thread is about Nintendo somehow taking over the home console buisisness. Nintendo merging the handheld and console business brings them no closer to that.

What is Nintendo's plan anyways? Try to prop up it's home consoles by attaching them to the handhelds? How many WiiU owners don't already have a 3DS? What do you think is holding back the WiiU?

It's not about selling more home consoles, it's about merging the platforms in order to have a unified console and handheld. 2 devices with the same architecture, operating system, online infrastructure, similar specs that share a library. Combined Nintendo might be able to sell 70 million or so devices.

It's about maximizing software sales by not having games like Tropical Freeze, Mario Kart 8, 3D World suffer low sales because they are on a device with low install base. These games can all be 5-10 million sellers if they had the handheld side of the business to sell on as well.

What's he's saying is next gen there will be Playstation 5, Xbox 4 and Nintendo Fusion which is split up into 2 seperate devices similar to Vita/Vita TV.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
DanneSandin said:
Normchacho said:
DanneSandin said:
Normchacho said:

The evidence is called the Wii =) It is possible for Nintendo to make something that fans alone want. But I agree, if Nintendo wanna sell more home consoles, they need 3rd party games and parity with Sony's and MS's consoles.

The Wii was a fad though.  Nintendo hasn't been able to find long term success in quite a while.

I don't know how you would describe the DS... That's two consoles that's evidence enough that Nintendo might hit it big next gen. But like I said, they need the 3rd parties; it's a lot safer a bet than trying to find the next Wii.

I'm talking home consoles, they are a very different game. There is simply no reason to think that Nintendo will be able to just add the WiiU sales to the 3DS sales.  How many WiiU owners don't have a 3DS? Why would people who decided against buying a Nintendo home console just hop on board because the 3DS was more popular...

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Nintendo's success won't affect Sony/MS that much. Nintendo's audience differs from Sony and Microsoft's. Unless this system manages to get all the 3rd party titles and manages to change Nintendo's reputation as a kids company I don't think they'll damage Sony and MS that much, even if it ends up being a huge success.

The amount of sheer ignorance in here's sort of baffling. It's really painfully obvious that some people have no shred of a clue what is being said, and blatantly ignore each and every point of insight offered to them. It's like saying 'I'm going on a vacation tomorrow', and having them answer 'so you're staying at home tomorrow then?'.

They're not getting what's being said at all.

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

If this rumor get enough traction it will finally kill Wii U sales.

dd if = /dev/brain | tail -f | grep games | nc -lnvvp 80

Hey Listen!

https://archive.org/details/kohina_radio_music_collection

padib said:
radha said:
Is this hoax get enough traction it will finally kill Wii U sales.

Why is it a hoax?

Hmm, i edited it since I should have said Rumor not hoax.

dd if = /dev/brain | tail -f | grep games | nc -lnvvp 80

Hey Listen!

https://archive.org/details/kohina_radio_music_collection