By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sexism in Gaming

Okay, I just wanted to throw this out there after seeing a reply to one of Nintendo's tweets. The tweet is written as follows:

"Who is your favorite Nintendo underdog? Are you a Captain Toad fan? Or do you like Little Mac's rags-to-riches tale?" to which someone replied  "My favorite "nintendo underdog are all the women who have to deal with the poisonous sexism of gaming culture @NintendoAmerica"

...Are you kidding me? First of all, how is a Nintendo tweet the correct platform to talk about this issue? Second of all, since when is Nintendo sexist? 

Nevermind that they birthed one of the most prevelant and strong woman characters in the industry, Samus Aran (who, by the way, wasn't even revealed to be a woman until the end of the original game).

Nevermind that they support other strong female leads like Bayonetta, who can literally tear apart heaven and hell.

Nevermind that most Nintendo games have options to play as female characters.

Nevermind that recently, they've drifted away from their "damsel in distress" storyline in games like Super Mario 3D World and Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker by having female characters like Peach, Rosalina and Toadette as heroines in their respective games.

And this doesn't even apply to just Nintendo either. I'm super tired of hearing that all women are just sexualized and victimized in gaming culture and there aren't any role models. Take, for example, Lara Croft, who is also a strong, independent character in the Tomb Raider franchise. In fact, they've even made her more relatable and endearing as a character in the reboot. I guess you could make the argument that she's still somewhat sexualized, but it's not like women don't look like that ever. She's not any more sexualized than Nathan Drake (at least now).

Another example is Jill Valentine from the Resident Evil series. Does she have to be a female? No. Does it define her as a character? No, not really. She just is. And she isn't victimized in any way. In fact, she's gone out of her way to save a male character in Chris Redfield. 

Yes, there are cases of blatant sexism in gaming culture. Just like any culture. It's wrong, but it is so inaccurate to say that all developers are sexist and hate women. So many developers are just too scared or lazy to go out on a limb and create minority characters because it's much easier and safe to make a young, white guy as that's what the public has come to expect. This does need to change, but completely disregarding the people that do incorporate women into the gaming media in a positive way is just downright disrespectful, in my opinion.

Official Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Thread

Around the Network

You use Samus in defence against sexist behavior when you can get her in a bikini. I mean. Come on.

Look I'm no decrier of portrayal but you don't have to look far to the most popular titles to see there's a discrepancy.
Also, Peach called and says she's tired of being a Macguffin

Why? lol Why bring up this nonsense again?

"Say what you want about Americans but we understand Capitalism.You buy yourself a product and you Get What You Pay For."  

- Max Payne 3

mZuzek said:
To be honest Nintendo had a bit of that "sexism" in the older Metroid games, but nowadays? Nah.

Now they just address whatever sexism they're accused of with reverse sexism. For example, the costume of Zero Suit Samus in revealing clothing in SSB was addressed with a costume of Shulk in nothing but essentially underwear and shoes. In my opinion, that's genius. 

On the plus side, I will say they are trying better. Still I wouldn't list bayonetta who's power is to strip to hurt people a great example either. You can be sexually empowered without being sexually exploited.

Around the Network
CavemanCavan said:
You use Samus in defence against sexist behavior when you can get her in a bikini. I mean. Come on.

Look I'm no decrier of portrayal but you don't have to look far to the most popular titles to see there's a discrepancy.

You can also get Shulk in underwear. I don't see the issue. Yes, it was more of a thing before, but now? I don't think so.

Le sighh! Idiots shall forever be idiots!

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

mZuzek said:
Skullwaker said:
CavemanCavan said:

You can also get Shulk in underwear. I don't see the issue. Yes, it was more of a thing before, but now? I don't think so.

I don't mind the SSB costumes, it's not like they can't possibly be wearing stuff like that. I only mind the "play better for less clothing at the end" thing in the older Metroid games.

Yeah, that was a bit messy. It didn't even make any sense in context of the character or story. Thankfully they don't do that anymore, lol.

CavemanCavan said:

Yes thats quite funny

heres when they revealed she's a woman for the first time

Skullwaker said:

since when is Nintendo sexist? 

According to today's peanut gallery, 1985

In all seriousness though, what bollocks.

"You should be banned. Youre clearly flaming the president and even his brother who you know nothing about. Dont be such a partisan hack"