By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
tsogud said:

Since there's so much sexism against women in gaming, I propose that for recompense all male characters, lead or supporting, should be really fit, either dressed in speedos or really tight clothing, and be... ahem... generously proportioned. In fact this should also be carried over into film and TV to, you know, be fair and such.

This...this is something I can get behind. Y'know, for equality. And science. And stuff.

Official Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Thread

Around the Network

I hope that all the people that think the way that guy/girl does find the brain cells that they lost while getting hit in the head as kids.

I'm now filled with determination.

I think of women as equals but I'm completely comfortable at looking at a attractive woman in a lewd way and thinking of lewd thoughts. :D I won't feel guilty about it.

As far as women being depicted in video games in a sexual way. Every form of entertainment displays attractive/ideal men and women in everything. They are supposed to be the ideal of humans. Video games depict women as strong, beautiful and in some position of power but they are sometimes barely dressed. So what. They are the ideal women in a lot of ways. I think it's completely fine seeing other people in a sexual way because we're supposed to do that.

Watch the channel, lifetime. Everyone in their shows or movies is attractive except for old people. Guys sometimes have their shirts off. It typically depicts women as victims of some crime or injustice by males. Now what's that saying.....I think it's the pot calling the kettle black.

Which is actually worse for women? Being portrayed as attractive heroines or attractive victims?

There has been more sexist behavior for gaming as a all-male boys club than actual development. If you want to face the real issue....there it is. 8/10 when a man is creating a game about a woman it is created from the male perspective or the fantasy, no different than a stylized comic book. Men draw scantily clad women with powers and fake tits because thats what the artists find attractive and feel is the ideal of how the character should look. That is artistic freedom. Women draw effeminate men on deviant art all the time. They like skinnier more effeminate men in some of the drawings they do. Thats not sexism..thats artistic freedom. Sexism is discrimination against a person because of their sex.

Isn't this just a problem of demographics? Most games are purchased by young males and young males have their images/fantasies on how ideal women should be. I remember when they asked the guy who does divinity's artwork to redraw the game cover because some feminist protested that the girl was "too unclad". Come on, how many women play that game? It's just fantasy, why do they care about something they don't like anyway. This "forced equality" pressure we are enduring today is just as bad as discrimination. It's becoming crazy, like that woman that made the rosetta scientist cry and apologize because he had a couple of pin-up on his shirt.

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:

There has been more sexist behavior for gaming as a all-male boys club than actual development. If you want to face the real issue....there it is. 8/10 when a man is creating a game about a woman it is created from the male perspective or the fantasy, no different than a stylized comic book. Men draw scantily clad women with powers and fake tits because thats what the artists find attractive and feel is the ideal of how the character should look. That is artistic freedom. Women draw effeminate men on deviant art all the time. They like skinnier more effeminate men in some of the drawings they do. Thats not sexism..thats artistic freedom. Sexism is discrimination against a person because of their sex.

Bingo. What people don't realize is that games =/= real life. Unless a game is purposefully trying to emulate real life in every way, and showing blatant discriminatory beliefs towards a group as a result of the developer's values, then I don't see how this is an issue. Non-representation is more of an issue, but downright sexism? Not so much.

Official Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Thread

Skullwaker said:
SlayerRondo said:
I agree with your opinion, and believe that the way to get companies to produce games with more and better female characters is through positive methods like supporting games with strong female leads, getting more women to enter the games industry as they will have more of a passion to write female characters then men (and vice versa) and getting more women into gaming so the demand for female protagonist increases beyond what the male audience would traditionaly want.

Gaming companies/developers, contradictory to what Anita says, do not hate women or want to promote sexism, but are playing to their own and the audience taste. Most game developers are males and thus are more likely to write male characters that they can better identify with and the male gaming audience on average prefers male protagonist to female protagonist and the gaming companies provide more male characters who are better fleshed out.

I think that their is greater demand for more and better female characters then is currently being provided for gamers (including men like myself) but that will change are that information becomes more apparant, more girls play major game titles and more female get into game development.

What hurts the proponents of having more and better female characters is the negative campaigns like those of Anita Sarkesian. She takes the fact that the gaming companies offer games geared more towards men and rather than admitting its because men are traditionally the primary audience for these games calls the developers sexist at best and promoting hate towards women at worst. This is over the top and will cause people to disconnect from the issue entirely.

Anita is surely hurting the situation more than she's helping it. She's contributing to whatever sexist opinions exist in the gaming culture by not being reasonable whatsoever. I'm pretty sure she's not even a gamer, and she never really knows about the games she speaks out against. 

The only way there can be more representation for races, sexes and sexualities in gaming is for there to be a positive air about them. We can't have this dark, negative propaganda floating around because it freaks companies out and sets them back from making the first step. It's sad, but true.

anita is a scam, a pretty talking face, nothing more. she doesnt write her stuff, she is just reading it.

Sexism is quite widespread in gaming, and Nintendo is part of the problem - but I'd say they're doing a better job than most to try to stay away from that.

If you don't think games are sexist, or that Nintendo haven't had sexism in their games, or "who cares anyways", then you don't understand what sexism is and why it's bad.

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Skullwaker said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Bingo. What people don't realize is that games =/= real life. Unless a game is purposefully trying to emulate real life in every way, and showing blatant discriminatory beliefs towards a group as a result of the developer's values, then I don't see how this is an issue. Non-representation is more of an issue, but downright sexism? Not so much.

Anita Sarkeesian wants women to be portrayed as no different men. No doubt they can do what do and they can hold their own, but they dont do it the way in which we do it nor are they built like us. It cannot be copied. They way they do things much like ours is beautiful because it is different and individual, but in Anita's world...there is no difference. I've seen a transgender fighter go into a boxing league and wreck women. I am talking about hardened fighters within the womens leagues. Even women bigger than the transgendered competitor. I am a feminist myself, but there is a difference and at some point she needs to stop and smell the roses and accept what makes us both beautiful as seperate sexes (gender roles aside).

Meisha Tate on Fallon Fox
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtW0KbpN-UA

Rhonda Rousey (UFC womens champion)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9XU4QOqVbQ

DanneSandin said:
Sexism is quite widespread in gaming, and Nintendo is part of the problem - but I'd say they're doing a better job than most to try to stay away from that.

If you don't think games are sexist, or that Nintendo haven't had sexism in their games, or "who cares anyways", then you don't understand what sexism is and why it's bad.

Explain how games are discriminating against a specific sex. By definition since thats what sexism means...explain it.