By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
CavemanCavan said:
Not at all. I'm just saying that Nintendo has just as many roots in the department as the others and was pointing out the flaws of the OP, which was Nintendo based.

You don't have to be a fan of video games to be against women's representation in them. It's not a hard concept to grasp.

I'm not exactly sure you read the entirety of my post. Yes, I started it by referring to Nintendo but then I segued into other companies and their characters. My point wasn't that of "Nintendo is above everyone else" it was that a lot of cases in which people cry sexism, there exists none. And also that not all of the gaming media is sexist. That is literally all I was saying.

Official Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Thread

Around the Network

I honestly wonder were all of this "The industry is sexist" propaganda started. Most of it seems to revolve around women showing some skin, or lack of women in videogames. However I don't see either of those as a message that women are inferior or lesser than men.

And I agree that there's not always sexism. I was just pointing out your examples are flawed, skull.

If I was to pick out an excellent female lead, okami comes to mind. Even though his companion IS sexist, he's admonished often for being so.

I don't disagree with you that not every game is sexist and sometimes we try hard to find it where it doesn't exist (Anna Is a shite analyst) but there was parts that you talked about that actually countered your argument and I pointed them out.

CavemanCavan said:
And I agree that there's not always sexism. I was just pointing out your examples are flawed, skull.

If I was to pick out an excellent female lead, okami comes to mind. Even though his companion IS sexist, he's admonished often for being so.

I don't disagree with you that not every game is sexist and sometimes we try hard to find it where it doesn't exist (Anna Is a shite analyst) but there was parts that you talked about that actually countered your argument and I pinter them out.

I appreciate that, then. 

CavemanCavan said:
RolStoppable said:
This has the potential to be a great thread by drawing out the social justice warriors who see it as their duty to defend women because they are perceived as being incapable of doing so themselves.

You can be against something you see as wrong regardless of who or what is wronged.   That's called human empathy.

that wasn't his point 

then again i'm not surprised that you can't see that

Around the Network

what i find funny is that its never a problem when male video game characters are proportioned or dressed in a "sexist" way such as batman for example
a man could lift all his life and have a perfectly balanced diet and never even get near to the physique that batman has
in addition to that batman's outfit as with most male superheroes is very form fitting.... but does this raise criticism about sexism? no because it only matters when its a female issue

o_O.Q said:
what i find funny is that its never a problem when male video game characters are proportioned or dressed in a "sexist" way such as batman for example
a man could lift all his life and have a perfectly balanced diet and never even get near to the physique that batman has
in addition to that batman's outfit as with most male superheroes is very form fitting.... but does this raise criticism about sexism? no because it only matters when its a female issue

Precisely. This is also why I compared Lara Croft with Nathan Drake. Neither character is particularly unrealistic in appearance, yet Lara is far more likely to get flack for being "sexist." It just doesn't make sense. I think people are just conditioned to think that everything is offensive and harmful when in actuality, it's not.

There is no sexism in fiction. As much as there is no racism or any other -isms. Fictional characters cannot be oppressed or exploited, they're fictional. They're invented to please a certain target audience. An audience that will not be offended and more than often be delighted by whatever these fictional characters are or do. If you're offended then you're not the target audience. Then the fictional piece isn't made for you and as such you have no right to change it. You don't even have a right to be offended at something that you are not a part of and never will be.

If you think that certain fictional works cause any -isms in the real world then you better have a study to prove it. If not, butt out of other people's past times and get your own.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

CavemanCavan said:
IkePoR said:
Skullwaker said:

since when is Nintendo sexist? 

According to today's peanut gallery, 1985

In all seriousness though, what bollocks.

You use words like peanut gallery to under cut people.  But it doesn't undercut the point that for years Mario rescued a woman from a reptile or an ape or whatever the baddie of the day was.  You pointing out the graphical limitations of the day does NOT mean it's not sexist. 

So you're telling me if I saved a kidnapped girl from a kidnapper, I'm sexist?  

"You should be banned. Youre clearly flaming the president and even his brother who you know nothing about. Dont be such a partisan hack"

CavemanCavan said:
You use Samus in defence against sexist behavior when you can get her in a bikini. I mean. Come on.

Look I'm no decrier of portrayal but you don't have to look far to the most popular titles to see there's a discrepancy.
Also, Peach called and says she's tired of being a Macguffin

what is sexist about a women in a bikini?  there is nothing sexist about tits or the showing of them.  if samus likes to shower with you after you two beat the game, thats her decission...