By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Media Create/Famitsu week ending Dec. 14th; Yokai Watch 1.2m, PS4: ~66k

Kerotan said:
DélioPT said:
Last year, same week, Wii U did 72k/74k.

This doesn't bode well for Wii U in Japan.
I wonder what Nintendo will do next year when all japanese games seem to be heading only to PS4.

This is pure specualtion on my part.

Fro mwhat I see Ninty have just decided to play this generation as safe as possible and make back as much money from the Wii U as they can. I really can't see them spending big money securing all these games for the Wii U at this stage. They seem to get them for the 3DS by default as the PSV is so far behind it so maybe they'll settle for that in Japan. 

If Sony flex their musscles the PS4 could be a massive succes over there. Resident Evil, DQ11, Monster Hunter, Yokai Watch, Final Fantasy, GTA 6, KIngdom Hearts 3, MGS5, next tales game. And I'm sure you can think of some more. It's not out of the realms of possibility they could secure all of those and they'd sell millions upon millions of extra PS4's in Japan with all those games (many already confirmed). Due to the PS4 success WW they'd also shift plenty of units for each of them (some a lot more than others) outside of Japan. 

The other thing is the xbox one doing so bad. The 360 hit the ground running and built up a user base. MS further built on that by doing some big 3rd party deals. I can't see them or the Japan 3rd partys wanting to do something similar. Especially with the momentum for the PS4 starting to pick up in Japan. 

They probably won't invest heavily anymore - maybe even choosing other franchises for investments - but they can't play it safe anymore.
If they have only themselves to support Wii U - and i'm only talking about Japan here - they are pretty much dead there.
What do they have left to reignite their home console segment? A Pokemon game (Pokken or some Stadium kind of game), Animal Crossing and Zelda. Those are the titles that will keep the console selling for months. Yes, they have other franchises but those aren't big hitters: Kirby, Yoshi, Xenoblade, Paper Mario.

What i find really worrying is that what we are seeing is the result of negotiations that failed one or two years ago, probably even more, before the Wii U was a commercial failure. That or after Wii U started doing those numbers, deals started getting anulled like there was no tomorrow.

It's a really bad sign for the future of Nintendo in the home console business when deals couldn't have been made in the past, even with 3DS selling like crazy since 2011. Not even 3DS' success served as a bargaining tool to get some deals cut for Wii U.
For example, even Wii had 2 Square-Enix games, with at least one being announced along with the console.

Vita might not have as many games as 3DS, but after awhile even Vita started getting a lot of support. Why? Because of what PSP meant for the market and because Sony either made good deals before the console came out or was able to keep them or was strong enough to bring developers to their side.

I don't think that despite Wii U's condition and PS4's upcoming rise, Sony can get their way with everyone. Nintendo is losing support in the home console market so they will do what they can to secure certain deals.
MS simply paid for the development (my theory).

Around the Network

Looking at those XB1 numbers makes me play sad violin music in my head...

Dr.Vita said:
PS4! :o
Youkai Flop 2...

I never laughed so hard at a comment!

KLXVER said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuNhTLVgV2Y

Wow at that PS4 boost!

Yokai Watch 2 doing amazing as well. I'm still waiting for the first one to make it over to US :(

Around the Network
ExplodingBlock said:
Dr.Vita said:
PS4! :o
Youkai Flop 2...

I never laughed so hard at a comment!

Was irony lol...

outlawauron said:

Captain Toad retails for 4000 yen and bayonetta 2 retails for 8300 yen. That's more than double.

Oooh, I read it as development costs!

KLXVER said:

It might be the worst selling console in Japan ever...

RavenXtra said:
Wow at that PS4 boost!

Yokai Watch 2 doing amazing as well. I'm still waiting for the first one to make it over to US :(

Early 2015 my babe!:P

KyleeStrutt said:
13./17. [WIU] Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker (Nintendo) {2014.11.13} (¥3.996) - 14.628 / 80.510 (+24%)
Captain Toad didn't skipped leg day, Bayonetta should watch and learn.

100k this week!Hurray!