By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Wii U beaten by the Dreamcast - what now?

fluky-nintendy said:
darkknightkryta said:
fluky-nintendy said:
Nintendo still is profitable but the question is: until when they can sustain being more and more niche? Nintendo seems to be heading to a more and more selective audience and if they want to keep living, they will have to be more open to Smartphone technologies and the 3rd party or else the revenue will keep decreasing until they post results at loss and nothing can be done about it anymore. Decisions are coming Ninty's way, they have to make things right.

Didn't Nintendo post a loss last quarter, which was profitted due to the yen exchange?

I think they posted ~$200M of profit, not loss.

They had an operating loss from what I recall going around.  The Yen exchange gave them the profit.

Around the Network
tbone51 said:
bananaking21 said:

they did try. but their entire strategy was just not gonna work. it bombed, and they abandoned it. 

Support in 2012 wasnt bad, and 2013 as well. Just that this year felt abandoned.

Yet ask any Vita owner, and they will tell you 2014 has been the best year for Vita software yet.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

MikeRox said:
tbone51 said:
bananaking21 said:

they did try. but their entire strategy was just not gonna work. it bombed, and they abandoned it. 

Support in 2012 wasnt bad, and 2013 as well. Just that this year felt abandoned.

Yet ask any Vita owner, and they will tell you 2014 has been the best year for Vita software yet.

Yeah i seen it in japan threads, tons of games. 

thegamerpad said:
ps4tw said:
vivster said:
How can it be beaten by the Dreamcast if it's still selling and some of its biggest games are yet to come out?

Dreamcast sold quicker and yet was still seen as a failure. Begs the question why Nintendo are still flogging a dead horse. 

1. Sales and market share aren't all that matters, as a matter of fact they're less important than profits.  Profits are #1 to the business.  It's worthless if the XBox One sells at $50 apiece and grabs up 80% marketshare while selling their consoles at a huge loss

2. Sega and Nintendo are different.  Sega had multiple failures, and did not have any where close to the amount of money Nintendo has.  The Wii, 3DS and DS have made Nintendo plenty of money, plus on top of that their software, almost everything they publish ends up a million seller on the Wii U.

3.  The Dreamcast was already selling for $99 and below at this period of it's life and was on clearance, that's what caused a sales spike towards the end of it's life.

4.  I don't even know why I'm responding to you, hopefully you will actually read and learn something instead of being stubborn.

What certain people also forget, or rather selectively ignore, is that the Dreamcast was being gutted by piracy; Wii U isn't.

Nintendo's current situation isn't even remotely similar to Sega's predicament two years into the Dreamcast's life. Even the OP knows this.

Nintendo are fantastic developers. But I think they should release next time a powerful machine and focus more on 3rd party support. They can still deliver their unique games, 3rd party support should have nothing to do with their exclusive games. Then, maybe the could develop some new IPs ? Or make a Mario Adventure in glorious 3D next time? Open world, with beautiful looking 3D environments ? Why to continue all the time with the same games ?
Just wondering. I loved N64 and Game Cube. Now it's like Nintendo don't want anymore to go ahead with software.
Come on Nintendo, WOW us next time, put some hardware into the box and make new games, we want fresh things.

”Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.”

Harriet Tubman.

Around the Network

Nate4Drake said:

Nintendo are fantastic developers. But I think they should release next time a powerful machine and focus more on 3rd party support. They can still deliver their unique games, 3rd party support should have nothing to do with their exclusive games. Then, maybe the could develop some new IPs ? Or make a Mario Adventure in glorious 3D next time? Open world, with beautiful looking 3D environments ? Why to continue all the time with the same games ?
Just wondering. I loved N64 and Game Cube. Now it's like Nintendo don't want anymore to go ahead with software.
Come on Nintendo, WOW us next time, put some hardware into the box and make new games, we want fresh things.

The thing is I doubt simply making a powerful, easy to develop for console will cause Nintendo's console to sell very well. Look at the Gamecube, cheap, powerful, easy to develop for, had pretty solid 3rd party support from the big western publishers (EA, Activision, Ubisoft, ect), yet it still sold poorly. Fans of the mainstream AAA western games are firmly established on PS/XB and this likely won't change unless one of them exits the console business which i don't see happening.

And I don't know what u mean by Nintendo not making new games. Xenoblade, Steel Diver, Nintendo Land, Wonderful 101, Splatoon are all new ip from Nintendo post-2010. Kid Icarus, Luigi's Mansion, Pikmin, Star Fox are all games that didn't see installments for 10+ years so are completely new experiences for many people. And even with existing ip, they many times change up the formula. Mario 64, Sunshine, Galaxy, 3D World all play differently, same goes for many Kirby games (Canvas Curse, Mass Attack, Epic Yarn), even Metroid has changed its gameplay style many times (2D Metroid, Prime, Hunters, Other M).

Who cares if some games share the same characters, especially if they are games that don't really rely on strong characterization or story, if the game is offering new experiences and new ways to play then why does it matter if they belong to the same ip?

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:

Nate4Drake said:

The thing is I doubt simply making a powerful, easy to develop for console will cause Nintendo's console to sell very well. Look at the Gamecube, cheap, powerful, easy to develop for, had pretty solid 3rd party support from the big western publishers (EA, Activision, Ubisoft, ect), yet it still sold poorly. Fans of the mainstream AAA western games are firmly established on PS/XB and this likely won't change unless one of them exits the console business which i don't see happening.

And I don't know what u mean by Nintendo not making new games. Xenoblade, Steel Diver, Nintendo Land, Wonderful 101, Splatoon are all new ip from Nintendo post-2010. Kid Icarus, Luigi's Mansion, Pikmin, Star Fox are all games that didn't see installments for 10+ years so are completely new experiences for many people. And even with existing ip, they many times change up the formula. Mario 64, Sunshine, Galaxy, 3D World all play differently, same goes for many Kirby games (Canvas Curse, Mass Attack, Epic Yarn), even Metroid has changed its gameplay style many times (2D Metroid, Prime, Hunters, Other M).

Who cares if some games share the same characters, especially if they are games that don't really rely on strong characterization or story, if the game is offering new experiences and new ways to play then why does it matter if they belong to the same ip?

He does have a point about Mario though; making their big Wii U 3D Mario a 3DS sequel was a bit of a dumb move, a Mario 64 successor was what gamers wanted.

Nintendo is really financially stable though i don't understand how these threads come about.

Mad55 said:
Nintendo is really financially stable though i don't understand how these threads come about.

Simple, the OP is something I'm not allowed to say here because it violates forum rules. Check out his user name and posting history.

If Nintendo wants to succeed in the console space then they should start another "revolution". They need to change the paradigm of what a console is. It needs to be super innovative. I'm sure they have one in the oven.

If they make a console that is just more powerful, even if they have all the 3rd party support Sony and Microsoft has, then it will fail miserably.