By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
Lyrikalstylez said:
Ka-pi96 said:
IMO the greatest innovation that Nintendo could possibly do would be..... Nintendo games on PlayStation/Xbox consoles.

I agree let's get this done nintendo

Nope. Nintendo games on PC.

Xbox is a terrible choice for Mario and other Nintendo branded games. Cause that's "teh hardc0r3 1337 g4m3r c0ns0l3"

PC is a far more solid choice because every already has one and Nintendo designs their games to play on underpowered hardware (at least for Wii and Wii U, the GameCube was a beast of a console) Not that PS4 and Xboner piece of shit MS box aren't already severely underpowered.

User was moderated for this post - Conegamer 

Around the Network
se7en7thre3 said:

The DSWii era is coming to an end.  2016 will be the 12th and 10th years for those line of systems, and the situation is ripe for a new Nintendo innovation.

The Fusion concept is popular to discuss & predict, but its actually a "safe" move for Nintendo.  How else can, and will Nintendo, change the (way we) game once again?

Please no. I just bought the damn WiiU. I don't need another system coming out in 2 years.

I would like the new console to be backwards compatible with Wii and Wii U, so I can try out stuff I missed, never owning a nintendo console in my life.

I would also like it to be more powerful than the PS4. And, I'm not talking about PS3-Wii U leaps. But, nothing too massive either. Only way to get me to consider a new nintendo console is it being more powerful than PS4.

I don't care how they "change the way," because that has turned me off from the N64, Gamecube, and Wii. I want a normal controller, which I'll get anyway, so it's no concern. Just want something I'd enjoy. Because, you know... I've spent less than 5 hours my entire life on Nintendo consoles.  And even 5 hours is being generous.

Burning Typhoon said:

I don't care how they "change the way," because that has turned me off from the N64, Gamecube, and Wii. I want a normal controller, which I'll get anyway, so it's no concern. Just want something I'd enjoy. Because, you know... I've spent less than 5 hours my entire life on Nintendo consoles.  And even 5 hours is being generous.

How did Nintendo innovate with the GameCube? It's idleness in that department is probably one of the reasons it failed.

sc94597 said:
ICStats said:
sc94597 said:
Ka-pi96 said:
IMO the greatest innovation that Nintendo could possibly do would be..... Nintendo games on PlayStation/Xbox consoles.

Too bad that would devastate their profits. It's not going to happen with a company like Nintendo. They are not Sega. Even in their worst time as a gaming company their losses were vastly miniscule compared with other big developers. Nintendo benefits from the control it has over its games. They wouldn't flourish as they do, in terms of game development, on another platform where they don't call the shots. That is just how Nintendo works as a company. They need entire control over their games, otherwise they turn out - not that great. Costs as a third party publisher >>>>> costs as a first party publisher. And if there is anything that hurts a company as conservative fiscally as Nintendo it is high development/publishing costs. 

What makes you think they would give up control?  3rd party has power.  EA, Activision, Rockstar, Ubi, etc. have power over Sony & MS.

Costs as a platform holder >>>>>>> costs as a third party publisher.  The platform holder has to pay for developing the hardware, tools and libraries, OS and apps, and usually to sell the hardware at loss to compete.  They have to pay for developer support.  They have to pay 3rd parties for exclusive games or features.  They have to pay for 3rd parties marketing.  All that requires a large user base and lots of games sold to recoup.

I don't think being a platform owner is working for Nintendo, because the platform holder business needs large user base, and the game business needs large userbase.  Nintendo is both, and it doesn't have a large user base now.  Being a platform holder is hurting their game business.

It can not fix it's platform business by publishing on PS/XB, but it can fix it's game business.

Nintendo doesn't even need it's own platform to sell accessories.  Amiibo can sell on other platforms, just like Skylanders & Disney Infinity.  Wiimote or balance board? Sure, just need a USB driver.  Every game on Wii could've been made on PS3/360 if they wanted.

The costs of hardware development, at least in Nintendo's case are evenly met (or even exceeded) with hardware sales. So that isn't an issue. We are talking solely about developing software. As for control, as it is now Nintendo can make its games however it wants with no limitations from platform-holders. With Sony or Microsoft that wouldn't be the case. So the logical conclusion is that Nintendo loses control.

How do you know their costs are evenly met?  When they say hardware is not selling at a loss, it means they are making a "gross profit" on each console.  However that doesn't say anything about wether it covers the R&D cost of the hardware, supporting software, marketing, devrel, etc.

For example if they make $10 profit on each Wii U then that's a gross profit.  But if they have say $200 million of associated R&D costs, the hardware is not profitable until they sold 20 Million units at $10 profit each.  Ofcourse we don't know exactly what is Wii U's R&D cost, marketing costs, etc.

As for software, there is a development cost, marketing cost, and a profit for each game.  Selling to more userbase would give them more profit.

Sure they would need to follow certain Sony/MS requirements, but they would have creative control over their games.  I'd like to see a real argument why their game quality would suffer.

As for cost, the cost of development tools for a platform is not high compared to the sales potential.  For example for $10 million you can build a team of ~100 developers with tools, and have them port all of Nintendo's major games.  It would be a drop in the bucket for Nintendo's $1.5 Billion yearly budget.  Nintendo makes million selling games, so porting cost is not even a consideration.

My 8th gen collection

Around the Network
NintendoPie said:
Burning Typhoon said:

How did Nintendo innovate with the GameCube? It's idleness in that department is probably one of the reasons it failed.

I never said they innovated the gamecube.  And, it was innovative in ways.  Specifically, I meant that controller.  I hated the N64 controller and the Gamecube controller.  They both left very bad first impressions and confused me.  I was done.

Burning Typhoon said:

I never said they innovated the gamecube.  And, it was innovative in ways.  Specifically, I meant that controller.  I hated the N64 controller and the Gamecube controller.  They both left very bad first impressions and confused me.  I was done.

You did say, "change the way" which is pretty much the definition of innovate. 

Anyhow, I don't necessarily see how the controller was innovative, but it definitely did turn some people off.

NintendoPie said:
Burning Typhoon said:

You did say, "change the way" which is pretty much the definition of innovate. 

Anyhow, I don't necessarily see how the controller was innovative, but it definitely did turn some people off.

I never said innovative.  I said "Changed the way."  And, that GC controller is by definition, a change.  Don't try to see more than what I'm said, when I'm telling you that's not what I meant.

RenCutypoison said:
Just got my PS4 so what Nintendo needs right now imo is more comfort for players.

PS4 is considered the least innovative console for a lot of good reasons, but features smooth OS interface while playing, playing the game without downloading it totally, installing games while playing etc adds a comfort to the player experience I couldn't without anymore. These are innovative features in a way.

Not innovative. Been done on the PC before the PS4 game out. They're very useful for sure though.

errorpwns said:
RenCutypoison said:
Just got my PS4 so what Nintendo needs right now imo is more comfort for players.

PS4 is considered the least innovative console for a lot of good reasons, but features smooth OS interface while playing, playing the game without downloading it totally, installing games while playing etc adds a comfort to the player experience I couldn't without anymore. These are innovative features in a way.

Not innovative. Been done on the PC before the PS4 game out. They're very useful for sure though.

No, they weren't. Steam added support to play as you download months after Sony annouced it. And PS4 install times are unprecedent. Tell me a 38GB game like Killzone that installs and is ready to play in 2 minutes on any other platform.