By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Final Fantasy XV mostly inspired by III, IV, V and VI

Tagged games:

But not IX and X, my favourites

Oh well, I do enjoy playing Kingdom Hearts and this still looks like a KH battle system put into Final Fantasy

Around the Network
outlawauron said:
sc94597 said:
outlawauron said:
sc94597 said:
Damn't that makes me want this game more. I wish there was an archetypal villain. FFXII and FFXIII lacked strong villains and they were somewhat boring in that area. Yeah, it is kinda a cliche, but that's what makes Final Fantasy unique. You have the stereotypical good vs. evil with twists here and there. Anyway, I can't see myself getting a PS4 or XBONE for many years, so hopefully either there is a PC release of this game that isn't very, very late or I can get my hands on a console for a week and rent this game.

Did you complete both games? FF12 was praised for its villians and FF13 certainly wasn't the worst in the series.

Yes, and I've played XII again very recently (last month.) I prefer the villains in X much better as far as the PS2 games are concerned. And my point wasn't about villains being present in general or even being good characters. It was about archetypal villians. Kefka, Sephiroth, Ultimecia, Kuja, and Yu-Yevon/Jecht (sin) were all archetypes for evil which you find more about and it gets more complicated. They are menacing throughout the whole game and never feel very distant. The closest thing XII has to that is Vayne, but he is just the embodiment of the empire in the form of a character. It is the empire that feels evil in that game, and Vayne is its leader, but that's it. Vayne was probably the most human bad-guy, but that just doesn't fit in the mold I was presenting with the archetypal fantasy evil. Nothing is wrong with that though. 

As for XIII, I haven't played it in ages (2010) and didn't finish it when I had. I stand corrected however. There is a big bad archetypal evil in that game, it just didn't feel like it. Which I guess fits with the story of manipulation. 

The Judges as group/organization were the villians. They were BAMF. I liked having a group of enemies banding together much like I was against them.

Yeah, don't get me wrong. I didn't think it was a necessarily bad thing how FFXII set up the enemy/villians (or its story in general.) In fact it was far more realistic than other Final Fantasies. For some reason I like the idea of a nostalgic ridiculously irrational  enemy who starts out as a flat character and becomes more complicated or who starts out as a seemingly rounded character and becomes a flat character who is the embodiment of evil. It is something only really seen in video-games and maybe children fantasy novels. 

I just want open world turn based Final Fantasy as a major title release.

This is the game play style that started my love affair with Final Fantasy, It saddens me that they are moving further and further away from that.

Also, I would really love to see a new major release Tactics game from the Final Fantasy club, just nothing like that craptastic "Advanced" version they released a while back.

To me Major release = full console version with major production value and high quality sound, portables need not apply.

deskpro2k3 said:
RenCutypoison said:
The Fury said:

3 to 6 are lesser known? Yet these are the games we idealise and want new FFs to be like (you know, jsut with flashy new graphix!!)

According to vocal majorities any FF that is not like VII is worthless.

As far as monster design is concerned it's clearly 3-6, and I hope the OST can be on VI level.

fixed

Weird how majorities don't represent sales.

FFX, XII and XIII all sold more than 50% of FFVII sales.

Job System confirmed? Probably not.

I still think they will design this one specifically to disgust me. They're only talking about 5 to get my hopes up. Bastards.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network
vivster said:

I still think they will design this one specifically to disgust me. They're only talking about 5 to get my hopes up. Bastards.

Isn't gambit system kind of a job system ? You define different patterns of abilities probably giving you passive for different situations, just like you would change jobs.

RenCutypoison said:
vivster said:

Isn't gambit system kind of a job system ? You define different patterns of abilities probably giving you passive for different situations, just like you would change jobs.

Also in the international version you have an actual outlined job system. Which was a great treat when I replayed the game with that version on my PC's emulator a month ago. 

I have never played a final fantasy so this means nothing to me... :/

sc94597 said:
RenCutypoison said:

Also in the international version you have an actual outlined job system. Which was a great treat when I replayed the game with that version on my PC's emulator a month ago. 

You actually just persuaded me to download FFXII international immediatly. Thank you.

This just makes me wonder, what are considered the good and bad FF games pre VI?? I mean we never really talk about them, its always about VI-XIII