By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Final Fantasy XV mostly inspired by III, IV, V and VI

Tagged games:

Ljink96 said:
What? I don't see the resemblance. I guess they have a reason to be inspired by 3 and 4 because they've remade it like a kajillion times. I wish the original FF guy, Sakaguchi I think, was still leading FF. After he left, FF lost its way and how coincidental that X was the last game that he worked on for Square. Now, the only hope I have is Dragon Quest and KH. Well, enough ranting. I hope I can see more of the inspiration when the game is shown off more.

The last FF Sakaguchi directed was FFV, in 1992. After that, he wasn't that much involved with the other games, serving mostly as producer. He actually had little to do with FFX, being credited as Localization Executive Producer. So this common assumption FF is worst without him actually doesn't have much basis. Another thing as that he's credited in FFXII as "Original Producer" and "Special Thanks". So yeah.

sc94597 said:
I've realized a few years ago that Final Fantasy was never about the combat system. Every game has a different system with some things in common, even when looking at the turn-based games alone. It's the world and the atmosphere that makes a final fantasy game, not the timing of the battles or the micromanagement system. People who complain about Final Fantasy games going ATB or even fully Action are no different from those who complain about Metroid, Mario, or Zelda going 3D. There will always be turn-based RPG's from SQENIX (Bravely Default and Dragon Quest for example) and plenty of turn-based RPG's not from SQENIX (SMT, Pokemon) I see no problem with FF becoming an action-RPG or hybrid, and don't think every installment will be an action-RPG. The battle system does not matter, as long as it is done well. FFXV looks to be done well.

This man speaks the truth.

wolfofthepack said:
does square really think we are going to fall for this ! this game looks like it was inspired SOLELY by that GARBAGE FFXIII

There are no similarities at all between XIII and XV. At least try to hide your senseless hate =P

ktay95 said:
This just makes me wonder, what are considered the good and bad FF games pre VI?? I mean we never really talk about them, its always about VI-XIII

I and II are nearly 30-year old and it really shows, even the remakes. I'd play them only for bragging rights. III is better, though you have to tolerate old school mechanics still (the combat was before ATB, there are no save points, no Phoenix Down for sale, etc). Yes, even in the remakes. Had fun with it though.

IV is where FF became FF, if that makes any sense. Possibly the best starting point for the series. FFV was delicious with that job system, but it's mostly ignored because it didn't came to the US back then. To me, IV and V > VI. Yes.

Around the Network
wolfofthepack said:
AZWification said:

But when will we get a FF game which is inspired by the masterpiece that is FFIX, SE?!

that is all i have been dreaming about for the past few years but sighhh

Yeah... It's a shame the best FF game ever doesn't get much love.. :/

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

artur-fernand said:
Ljink96 said:
What? I don't see the resemblance. I guess they have a reason to be inspired by 3 and 4 because they've remade it like a kajillion times. I wish the original FF guy, Sakaguchi I think, was still leading FF. After he left, FF lost its way and how coincidental that X was the last game that he worked on for Square. Now, the only hope I have is Dragon Quest and KH. Well, enough ranting. I hope I can see more of the inspiration when the game is shown off more.

The last FF Sakaguchi directed was FFV, in 1992. After that, he wasn't that much involved with the other games, serving mostly as producer. He actually had little to do with FFX, being credited as Localization Executive Producer. So this common assumption FF is worst without him actually doesn't have much basis. Another thing as that he's credited in FFXII as "Original Producer" and "Special Thanks". So yeah.

sc94597 said:
I've realized a few years ago that Final Fantasy was never about the combat system. Every game has a different system with some things in common, even when looking at the turn-based games alone. It's the world and the atmosphere that makes a final fantasy game, not the timing of the battles or the micromanagement system. People who complain about Final Fantasy games going ATB or even fully Action are no different from those who complain about Metroid, Mario, or Zelda going 3D. There will always be turn-based RPG's from SQENIX (Bravely Default and Dragon Quest for example) and plenty of turn-based RPG's not from SQENIX (SMT, Pokemon) I see no problem with FF becoming an action-RPG or hybrid, and don't think every installment will be an action-RPG. The battle system does not matter, as long as it is done well. FFXV looks to be done well.

This man speaks the truth.

wolfofthepack said:
does square really think we are going to fall for this ! this game looks like it was inspired SOLELY by that GARBAGE FFXIII

There are no similarities at all between XIII and XV. At least try to hide your senseless hate =P

ktay95 said:
This just makes me wonder, what are considered the good and bad FF games pre VI?? I mean we never really talk about them, its always about VI-XIII

I and II are nearly 30-year old and it really shows, even the remakes. I'd play them only for bragging rights. III is better, though you have to tolerate old school mechanics still (the combat was before ATB, there are no save points, no Phoenix Down for sale, etc). Yes, even in the remakes. Had fun with it though.

IV is where FF became FF, if that makes any sense. Possibly the best starting point for the series. FFV was delicious with that job system, but it's mostly ignored because it didn't came to the US back then. To me, IV and V > VI. Yes.

I'm no FF Lord so yeah, I guess I was just spitting at the ball there. Still, he has had much influence on the series. I was being generous by saying FFX was their last "Final Fantasy" but in all reality, FF hit the tank after VII...the last one he did the original story and design for. Yeah, IX was a'ight. FFV is actaully my second favorite FF game so I'm honored. All I knows is post FFVII=blegh...with the rare exception of IX. But that's another thread isn't it.

Ljink96 said:
outlawauron said:
Ljink96 said:

If that's the case, what do you think of Sakaguchi's way? He's been making mobile games after all of his console titles flopped.

I'm just saying, after he left then went ATB and the rest of the series. A saying goes that you only get around 10 years in the sun, he had his.

There was an ATB system in FF13.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

outlawauron said:
Ljink96 said:
outlawauron said:
Ljink96 said:

If that's the case, what do you think of Sakaguchi's way? He's been making mobile games after all of his console titles flopped.

I'm just saying, after he left then went ATB and the rest of the series. A saying goes that you only get around 10 years in the sun, he had his.

Okay... I miss Final Fantasy 1-10's battle system. That's what I'm trying to say.

Around the Network
Ljink96 said:
outlawauron said:
Ljink96 said:
outlawauron said:
Ljink96 said:

Okay... I miss Final Fantasy 1-10's battle system. That's what I'm trying to say.

ATB (Active Time Battle) was the battle system for FFIV  all the way until FFIX. XII had a system called ADB (Active Dimension Battle.) XIII had a system called CSB(Command Synergy Battle.) XI and XIV had RTB (Real-Time Battle),  and Final Fantasy X had CTB (Conditional Turn Battle.) I-III were the only FF's which had traditional turn-based systems. 

ATB, CSB, and CTB are essentially the same system with some minor differences on control of characters and when turns happen. All of these are turn-based battle systems. 

sc94597 said:
Ljink96 said:
outlawauron said:
Ljink96 said:
outlawauron said:
Ljink96 said:

ATB (Active Time Battle) was the battle system for FFIV  all the way until FFIX. XII had a system called ADB (Active Dimension Battle.) XIII had a system called CSB(Command Synergy Battle.) XI and XIV had RTB (Real-Time Battle),  and Final Fantasy X had CTB (Conditional Turn Battle.) I-III were the only FF's which had traditional turn-based systems. 

ATB, CSB, and CTB are essentially the same system with some minor differences on control of characters and when turns happen. All of these are turn-based battle systems. 

cool info bro, I guess I miss turn based bs, they were much more strategic. I recall having more game overs and close calls in those games than the ones we have now.

Ljink96 said:

cool info bro, I guess I miss turn based bs, they were much more strategic. I recall having more game overs and close calls in those games than the ones we have now.

That has more to do with games becoming easier than the battle system. Final Fantasy games have always been pretty easy though. It's hard to justify a game to the mainstream gamer that makes you backtrack a lot if you die. As for strategy, real-time games can have a decent level of strategy as well. Think of a game like Xenoblade. Anyway. you seemingly like the KH series, so obviously you like its battle system. That is essentially the system XV will have, but probably with more depth, not less. 

Ljink96 said:

Hum, FFXIII is kinda turn-based. Most people don't see it that way, but it kinda is. And FF is a pretty easy series, I recall only having close calls on III and some parts of IV.

artur-fernand said:
Ljink96 said:

Hum, FFXIII is kinda turn-based. Most people don't see it that way, but it kinda is. And FF is a pretty easy series, I recall only having close calls on III and some parts of IV.

Oh, like you fought Omega and Omniscient without close calls...