By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Rumor of cancelled Metroid 3ds

Maybe its buried somewhere in this thread so sorry if I didn't catch it, but how sure are we that this isn't just more information on the Next Level Games Metroid game for 3DS that we already know was cancelled? This guy could just be releasing more info on that project while Nintendo's still working on their own Metroid 3DS game :)

Around the Network
RavenXtra said:
Maybe its buried somewhere in this thread so sorry if I didn't catch it, but how sure are we that this isn't just more information on the Next Level Games Metroid game for 3DS that we already know was cancelled? This guy could just be releasing more info on that project while Nintendo's still working on their own Metroid 3DS game :)

Yeah, I've already mentioned this a couple of times. And I don't care so much for a Metroid 3DS game, I want a Wii U one. 

Really curious for Next Level Games' next project though! It's almost been 2 years.

Samus Aran said:
bouzane said:
@Samus Aran

I guess we've got something in common. While I did enjoy Metroid II, III and Fusion I greatly prefer Prime. I stand by my point that dismissing a game based upon length is foolish though, especially considering the fact that many of the greatest games from the third and fourth console generations only offered an hour of content of less.

Thanks, I'm going to buy Fusion next year and give it a new shot. I heard it's more linear than Super Metroid. I like non-linearity in a 3D game, but in a 2D game it greatly confuses me for some reason. 

It sounds like you're having difficulty getting immersed in 2D environments. In that case both Metroid II and Fusion would be worth your consideration due to their relative linearity.

bouzane said:
Samus Aran said:
bouzane said:
@Samus Aran

I guess we've got something in common. While I did enjoy Metroid II, III and Fusion I greatly prefer Prime. I stand by my point that dismissing a game based upon length is foolish though, especially considering the fact that many of the greatest games from the third and fourth console generations only offered an hour of content of less.

Thanks, I'm going to buy Fusion next year and give it a new shot. I heard it's more linear than Super Metroid. I like non-linearity in a 3D game, but in a 2D game it greatly confuses me for some reason. 

It sounds like you're having difficulty getting immersed in 2D environments. In that case both Metroid II and Fusion would be worth your consideration due to their relative linearity.

Yeah, that's a big reason I think. I do love exploring in DKC: TF though (collecting all the puzzle pieces and what not). 

Damn, mZuzek went to town in here.

And that sucks. I was anticipating this 2D Metroid that Nintendo sheepishly announced.

Around the Network
Samus Aran said:
bouzane said:
@Samus Aran

hmmm...can you confess how far you've gotten in Super Metroid?  I'm not trying to attack you, but I like to know the facts of things. You claim that Super Metroid doesn't hold up well compared to modern games.  In my opinion, modern side-scroll throwbacks still don't hold a candle to what Super Metroid accomplished, both in gameplay and in scope.  Your admission that you get confused my non-linearity in 2D gaming gives me the impression that you haven't had the patience (or desire) to figure out the maze that is Super.  I can relate, as I often have a difficult time mustering the patience to achieve the skill required to play games like Kid Icarus which I never owned when I was a kid and didn't really get to sit down with until the Wii era. 

super_etecoon said:
Samus Aran said:
bouzane said:
@Samus Aran

hmmm...can you confess how far you've gotten in Super Metroid?  I'm not trying to attack you, but I like to know the facts of things. You claim that Super Metroid doesn't hold up well compared to modern games.  In my opinion, modern side-scroll throwbacks still don't hold a candle to what Super Metroid accomplished, both in gameplay and in scope.  Your admission that you get confused my non-linearity in 2D gaming gives me the impression that you haven't had the patience (or desire) to figure out the maze that is Super.  I can relate, as I often have a difficult time mustering the patience to achieve the skill required to play games like Kid Icarus which I never owned when I was a kid and didn't really get to sit down with until the Wii era. 

I gave up after a couple of hours. Not sure where exactly I got, probably not too far lol. 

I am starting to think Nintendo doesn't know how to develop/market past their main evergreen titles.

mZuzek said:
leon.hart said:
I am starting to think Nintendo doesn't know how to develop/market past their main evergreen titles.

As in, we just got a Fire Emblem and Pikmin last year, Kirby and Yoshi this year, and we're getting Kirby, Yoshi, Xenoblade and Star Fox next year alongside two new IPs. Come on. You can tell for sure Retro Studios is working on a Wii U Metroid game right now, and as for a 3DS Metroid, well, this is just a rumor and even if true it could be about that horrible looking thing that was confirmed to be canceled a while ago.

Believe it or not, those games are main evergreen titles (I'm referring to), and are also niche titles.

as long as we have cranky kong....