By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Rumor of cancelled Metroid 3ds

mZuzek said:
Samus Aran said:

So I guess Sonic also sells more than Metroid.

Oh wait, Lost World Wii U/3DS and Sonic Boom Wii U/3DS all tanked. And Sonic Colors sold less than Metroid Prime 3. 

Oh, so that's the argument? Ok then, let's think a bit about how relevant for a sales discussion a 12 year old game still is. Guess what, not much. You want it or not, as long as Star Fox games were Star Fox games, they outsold Metroid and they did so by a considerable margin. And even when the games were bad and disappointed their fanbase, they still outsold several Metroid entries in the process. As I've said, Metroid had two remakes over it's lifespan (one of them being a collection of 3 (THREE) of the most acclaimed games in the franchise), and Star Fox's only remake (which also disappointed people by not having online multiplayer and being in a far more restricted userbase) has outsold one and is almost outselling the other one.

And there's reasons for this. Have you watched that video where the girl goes around on the streets asking people the names of Super Smash Bros. characters? Well, a lot of people seemed to remember Fox's name despite him having disappeared from the map for a long time and having had poor games that didn't sell as well. Samus, on the other hand, didn't have that much recognition, despite her franchise being around for a lot longer and having way more games and quality games at that. Star Fox is a very well known franchise because of what it meant back in the SNES and N64 days. People have been waiting for a true sequel ever since, and it's been almost 2 decades now.

And the Sonic argument is garbage. Lost World and Sonic Boom tanked because they're bad games in a franchise that has been having bad games for a while and keeps disappointing fans over and over and over and over (just like Star Fox did). These games stopped moving units because people lost confidence, but Sonic is still a slightly more well-known and recognizable character and franchise than Samus' Metroid. Again, please.

To be honest I was overreacting to that "even" on the post that started this argument. I get a bit touchy when people want to dismiss a franchise I love and haven't been able to enjoy with new experiences for almost 2 decades, but I don't even think that was an attempt at dismissing it. I can't forgive your attitude towards it, though - we're all Nintendo fans and I'd expect Nintendo fans, and especially Metroid fans to understand this feeling. You had a very tough time during the N64 days when Star Fox was shining as Nintendo's biggest star outside of the main juggernauts as the franchise went 8 years without a single installment. I'm not fond of every game Nintendo's ever made, but I respect their franchises and their fanbases because I know what they can mean to some people, and if you think Star Fox is "just another on-rail shooter" then you're really missing what makes it so special for some people.

Edit: oh god, so many edits. I'm sorry, I don't think I'll be replying to all of them. But rest assured I have replies just in case.

There were rumors out there that Miyamoto's Star Fox title for the Wii U is considered a big joke by the rest of Nintendo. I wouldn't hold my hopes up high, especialyl after seeing Miyamoto's two gamepad projects at E3. I'm almost certain a lot of them will be incorperated into this new Star Fox title. What makes you think this Star Fox game will be any good?

It's a fact that the Metroid franchise is of higher quality than the Star Fox franchise (I think we can agree to that). Obviously that impacts sales, but why should we ignore that? 

Around the Network
Samus Aran said:
mZuzek said:
Samus Aran said:

The last 3 Star Fox titles sold less than any Metroid game has sold. Star Fox: Adventures, that released in the same year as Metroid Prime, also sold far less than Metroid Prime. 

Star fox is on on rails shooter. So yeah, that franchise can fuck off for all I care. I hope a third party studio is making it. 

Star Fox SNES sold more than the best selling Metroid game and Star Fox 64 sold over a million more than that. Adventures was poorly received by the fans for being a huge departure from the series and a big disappointment overall, and it still sold better than every Metroid game apart from the first one and Prime. It's no big surprise that sales would have declined after disappointing entries, and Assault being another weak game it's no wonder it sold even less, but it still sold better than a few Metroid games at that, and the only Star Fox remake is about to outsell the both Metroid remakes in a console with a far smaller userbase than either the GBA or Wii had. The only Star Fox game to not outsell a Metroid one is Command, which was the third disappointment in a row, had a terrible artstyle, no voice acting, touch controls and an atrocious story.

So please don't say Metroid sells more. Star Fox has more wide recognition and appeal and it's games tend to sell more than Metroid when they're good, and even when they're bad they can sometimes outsell stellar Metroid entries, which also obviously cost way more to develop because of them usually being more ambitious titles.

Star Fox is an on-rails shooter. So yeah, it's fucking awesosome

SNES and N64 games aren't relevant examples anymore. And there has never been a good Star Fox game, so what you're saying confuses me. You said it yourself, you can finish Star Fox 64 in an hour. 

And with that line, you lost any remaining credibility you had and proved your whole argument is based purely on baseless fanboyism. Just stop now and come clean. mZuzek took the high road and extended the olive branch, so you might as well take the offer.

burninmylight said:
Samus Aran said:
mZuzek said:
Samus Aran said:

The last 3 Star Fox titles sold less than any Metroid game has sold. Star Fox: Adventures, that released in the same year as Metroid Prime, also sold far less than Metroid Prime. 

Star fox is on on rails shooter. So yeah, that franchise can fuck off for all I care. I hope a third party studio is making it. 

Star Fox SNES sold more than the best selling Metroid game and Star Fox 64 sold over a million more than that. Adventures was poorly received by the fans for being a huge departure from the series and a big disappointment overall, and it still sold better than every Metroid game apart from the first one and Prime. It's no big surprise that sales would have declined after disappointing entries, and Assault being another weak game it's no wonder it sold even less, but it still sold better than a few Metroid games at that, and the only Star Fox remake is about to outsell the both Metroid remakes in a console with a far smaller userbase than either the GBA or Wii had. The only Star Fox game to not outsell a Metroid one is Command, which was the third disappointment in a row, had a terrible artstyle, no voice acting, touch controls and an atrocious story.

So please don't say Metroid sells more. Star Fox has more wide recognition and appeal and it's games tend to sell more than Metroid when they're good, and even when they're bad they can sometimes outsell stellar Metroid entries, which also obviously cost way more to develop because of them usually being more ambitious titles.

SNES and N64 games aren't relevant examples anymore. And there has never been a good Star Fox game, so what you're saying confuses me. You said it yourself, you can finish Star Fox 64 in an hour. 

And with that line, you lost any remaining credibility you had and proved your whole argument is based purely on baseless fanboyism. Just stop now and come clean. mZuzek took the high road and extended the olive branch, so you might as well take the offer.

Nope, I truly think the whole Star Fox franchise is mediocre at best. A game you can finish in one hour is not worth my money. I recently bought Super Mario Land 3: Wario Land, a gameboy game, and it took me around 4-5 hours to complete it. And I replayed it as well. That's €4 well spent. What's Star Fox's excuse of being only one hour long? 

Samus Aran said:
EricFabian said:
Samus Aran said:

It was one of the first (if not the first) 3D game.

Unless you think a game can still sell 4 million units on the account of being in 3D the new Star Fox won't sell anywhere near 4 million. Hence the example is not relevant in the slightest. 

and why another Metroid is relevant if it's in the same boat? Because I really doubt that another Metroid would sell more than 2mil on Wii U

Nobody is claiming it will sell that much. It won't need to sell 2 million to beat Star Fox Wii U in sales. 
The only thing holding Metroid back is Nintendo's console sadly, this game could be huge if it released on the other consoles. 

You cannot prove that at all. 

Samus Aran said:

Nope, I truly think the whole Star Fox franchise is mediocre at best. A game you can finish in one hour is not worth my money. I recently bought Super Mario Land 3: Wario Land, a gameboy game, and it took me around 4-5 hours to complete it. And I replayed it as well. That's €4 well spent. What's Star Fox's excuse of being only one hour long? 

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2012/03/super-metroid-speed-run-record-broken/

Click HERE and be happy 

Around the Network
mZuzek said:
Samus Aran said:

There were rumors out there that Miyamoto's Star Fox title for the Wii U is considered a big joke by the rest of Nintendo. I wouldn't hold my hopes up high, especialyl after seeing Miyamoto's two gamepad projects at E3. I'm almost certain a lot of them will be incorperated into this new Star Fox title. What makes you think this Star Fox game will be any good?

It's a fact that the Metroid franchise is of higher quality than the Star Fox franchise (I think we can agree to that). Obviously that impacts sales, but why should we ignore that? 

Ok, I promise myself this is the last reply.

I've no idea where you got these rumors from, but I'm pretty sure Nintendo will never consider a Miyamoto game just a "big joke", let alone when it's a new entry for one of their biggest ever franchises. It's funny because you're trying to downplay the importance of Star Fox to Nintendo when this entire thread is dedicated to a very believable rumor of a Metroid game being canceled. I think this Star Fox will be good because the person behind it is the only one who has ever delivered good Star Fox games and is the most legendary game developer ever. This might not be the most ambitious adventure yet, but I'm confident he an deliver a good game because Miyamoto delivers good games.

Yes, the Metroid franchise as a whole has had a much higher standard than Star Fox, and that's exactly the point I'm getting at. Even when Metroid had super ambitious titles that were hyped to the heavens as the best games on their systems and one of the best games ever, they still couldn't outsell the lesser Star Fox games.

Except that the last 3 Star Fox titles sold nowhere near the least selling console Metroid game. Which means the franchise has lost a lot of its flair. And Miyamoto isn't the producer he used to be anymore. I'm fairly confident in that. That's ok, he's old, and wants to take things slower. He's earned it. 

And the cancelled Metroid game isn't really a rumour, it was confirmed that Next Level Games was working on a Metroid game that didn't get approved by Nintendo. That shows Nintendo cares a lot about not releasing another crappy Metroid game. (the concept art looked very bad)

mZuzek said:
Samus Aran said:

Well I promised my last post was my last reply, but I just couldn't stop after reading this. That said, this isn't as much a big reply as it's just a bit of info to show how wrong you are.

I've played over 95 of Star Fox 64 3D. That's $40 well spent, isn't it? Just because the game can be beat quickly it doesn't mean it doesn't offer enough value. I can "beat" Super Smash Bros. for Wii U in less than 10 minutes and I'm not bitching about my $60 dollars.

95 hours is more than my entire Metroid play times combined, over 3 Super Metroid playthroughs, one Metroid Prime playthrough and a few minutes of trying to get into Fusion and Prime 2. So no, it's not a waste of money.

Star Fox might not be your type of game, but dismissing it's quality like that is a big mistake. With that out of the way, I have to say this really was my last reply and I need to leave, so... bye.

What do you think modern critics would do to a game that has a campaign of only one hour? Doesn't matter if you replay it over and over again, most people would be pissed off. 

I've replayed Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze over and over again, but I'll admit that the game is a little bit light on content... And looking at the scrapped gameplay ideas in the image section I wish the game was delayed to have more levels... 

*suffers mental breakdown*

EricFabian said:
Samus Aran said:

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2012/03/super-metroid-speed-run-record-broken/

I don't like Super Metroid!

Shocking, isn't it? :p 

I'm more of a Retro Studios fan than a Metroid fan really. 

Ps: I actually like the last game Rare made for NIntendo more than the N64 Star Fox. 

Samus Aran said:
burninmylight said:
Samus Aran said:
mZuzek said:
Samus Aran said:

Sorry but dismissing Star Fox based upon it's length is assinine, especially considering that it takes multiple playthroughs to experience all of the content available. Additionally, I find it baffling to see a Metroid fan criticizing anything based upon length when several Metroid games can be finished in under an hour including Super Metroid.

@OP

As a huge Metroid fan I find this news disheartening to say the least. I do not currently own a WiiU or a 3DS but a new Metroid would certinly change that.