By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Tekken 7 Producer: Lucky Chloe Character is Exclusive to Europe & East Asia. Americans get an MMA Character

kupomogli said:
The Fury said:
kupomogli said:
I'm sure her being exclusive in Europe and the west getting a bald MMA fighter is a joke. A racist joke, but a joke nonetheless. Harada said during Tekken Tag 2's release that characters in a game are like chess pieces so that's why they won't charge for DLC and all the characters will eventually be available(preorder DLC ones were later free to all players.) If he does this then he's went back on what he's stated.

How is it racist? I mean in anyway.

The generalization of it is racist.  It's disparaging an entire country by generalizing and stating we want a bald headed MMA character because the sport is big over here.  It doesn't matter how subtle it was, it was still a racist comment.  It's like if he came out and said that Japan would also get their own exclusive character.  Japan's exclusive character being a 12 year old girl and her pet tentacle monster whose tentacles are wrapped provocatively around her legs and under her dress.  Maybe Harada should announce a black guy holding a bucket of chicken during the fight.  He could create a black MMA fighter who eats chicken during the battle and the more chicken he has stored the more attacks he gains and the more powerful certain attacks become.

how is it racist? europeans didnt complain and we get her

Around the Network
kupomogli said:
The Fury said:

How is it racist? I mean in anyway.

The generalization of it is racist.  It's disparaging an entire country by generalizing and stating we want a bald headed MMA character because the sport is big over here.  It doesn't matter how subtle it was, it was still a racist comment.  It's like if he came out and said that Japan would also get their own exclusive character.  Japan's exclusive character being a 12 year old girl and her pet tentacle monster whose tentacles are wrapped provocatively around her legs and under her dress. 

Maybe Hanada should announce a black guy holding a bucket of chicken during the fight.  He could create a black MMA fighter who eats chicken during the battle and the more chicken he has stored the more attacks he gains and the more powerful certain attacks become.

No, the generalisation is a stereotype. What he said wasn't racist, at all. You are as bad as the rest of them complaining about the character, slapping him with a term you do not know the meaning of.

He is making light of the situation, the idea that these 'dude-bro gamers' don't want a pretty girl as a character when they could have a big manly man as one.... makes you think doesn't it, these guys don't want girls they want bears

Hmm, pie.

This is stupid in my opinion.

PSN & XBOX GT : cutzman25

KylieDog said:
kupomogli said:

The generalization of it is racist.  It's disparaging an entire country by generalizing and stating we want a bald headed MMA character because the sport is big over here.  It doesn't matter how subtle it was, it was still a racist comment.  It's like if he came out and said that Japan would also get their own exclusive character.  Japan's exclusive character being a 12 year old girl and her pet tentacle monster whose tentacles are wrapped provocatively around her legs and under her dress.  Maybe Harada should announce a black guy holding a bucket of chicken during the fight.  He could create a black MMA fighter who eats chicken during the battle and the more chicken he has stored the more attacks he gains and the more powerful certain attacks become.

I don't think you understand what racism is.

Or I do but because I was already quoted stating racism when I meant discrimination, I tried to defend my statementeven if I knew I was wrong.  Look at it this way though.  Harada is Japanese and he's bashing an entire nation that the Japanese are in the minority.  He could be bashing the US because the minority is Japanese.  So yeah.  The racism comment still works.

Everyone needs to realize that the complaint is that the character is the silliest introduced yet. Even more so than Alisa. She represents the increasingly less serious tone of the series with each iteration since harada took over. Most new characters are joke characters and previously important and serious characters are being reduced to jokes. Characters like Kuma and and Roger actually weren't jokes anyway at first. I don't think the presence of supernatural and sci-fi elements make fetish pandering fit in any more.

The "just ignore them" argument doesn't really hold up though in a fighting game. There are resources that are put into these characters and those resources could have instead been used for a character that would be better received. It is essentially taking up a spot.

It also wasn't nice of Harada to assume everyone on Neogaf was american or to associate the opinions of neogaf with an entire country. He did just use the incident to make it clear he was joking and is listening to player feedback.

Around the Network
Weedlab said:
Great ... so I suffer because of Americans just because I technically live in NA too. Not like I'll put time into playing with her so I don't give two shits lol

No you suffer because the person making the game is an absolute idiot.  If the post is not tongue and cheek then its blatant stereotyping which is even worst.  With all of the fighting games including Tekken to come out in the US and people in the US actually use those quirky characters just as much as your basic muscle build, I find it hard to believe the attitude coming from this guy.  Why would anyone developer change a character because the most vocal and probably minority group that tweeted him asked to remove a character.  Seems really dumb on all fronts.

Trentonater said:
Everyone needs to realize that the complaint is that the character is the silliest introduced yet. Even more so than Alisa. She represents the increasingly less serious tone of the series with each iteration since harada took over. Most new characters are joke characters and previously important and serious characters are being reduced to jokes. Characters like Kuma and and Roger actually weren't jokes anyway at first. I don't think the presence of supernatural and sci-fi elements make fetish pandering fit in any more.

The "just ignore them" argument doesn't really hold up though in a fighting game. There are resources that are put into these characters and those resources could have instead been used for a character that would be better received. It is essentially taking up a spot.

It also wasn't nice of Harada to assume everyone on Neogaf was american or to associate the opinions of neogaf with an entire country. He did just use the incident to make it clear he was joking and is listening to player feedback.

I played Tekken when it first appeared in the arcades a long time ago.  The series was never serious.  It always had that tongue and cheek type of story and the charcters prove it from the beginning.  I remember at the time when Tekken first arrived and it was compared to Virtual Fighter.  The same people during that time talked about Tekken as not being a serious fighter like Virtual Fighter etc. At the end of the day, no one plays Tekken for the story but instead for the characters and how they work and if they are fun to play with.

Machiavellian said:

No you suffer because the person making the game is an absolute idiot.  If the post is not tongue and cheek then its blatant stereotyping which is even worst.  With all of the fighting games including Tekken to come out in the US and people in the US actually use those quirky characters just as much as your basic muscle build, I find it hard to believe the attitude coming from this guy.  Why would anyone developer change a character because the most vocal and probably minority group that tweeted him asked to remove a character.  Seems really dumb on all fronts.

Hardy har har? :D

I honestly don't see a big deal though. She stays, she goes ... no big deal. Criticism ... really? Who cares. I'm surprised he caved so easily, and that's a bad precedent in my view.

Playstation = The Beast from the East

Sony + Nintendo = WIN! PS3 + PSV + PS4 + Wii U + 3DS

Weedlab said:
Machiavellian said:

Hardy har har? :D

I honestly don't see a big deal though. She stays, she goes ... no big deal. Criticism ... really? Who cares. I'm surprised he caved so easily, and that's a bad precedent in my view.

I made my post before reading a lot of comments in this thread.  If he was just taking a jab at people complaining all the time then no big deal.  I was mostly talking about caving in to internet noise as I see it.  The most vocal usually is the minority on the net so changing your stance based on that feedback is the wrong direction to go.

Machiavellian said:
Trentonater said:

I played Tekken when it first appeared in the arcades a long time ago.  The series was never serious.  It always had that tongue and cheek type of story and the charcters prove it from the beginning.  I remember at the time when Tekken first arrived and it was compared to Virtual Fighter.  The same people during that time talked about Tekken as not being a serious fighter like Virtual Fighter etc. At the end of the day, no one plays Tekken for the story but instead for the characters and how they work and if they are fun to play with.

Tekken was known for its dark and complex story for a fighting. It was the factor that made it stand out from virtua fighter. If you pay attention you will see a big difference in the portrayals of paul phoenix and marshall law before and after tekken 4. The new character additions as well.