By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - When's the Xbox One gonna overtake the PS4 in the US?

Tagged games:

When will the Xbone overtake the PS4 in the U.S.?

Late 2014 32 2.87%

1st half of 2015 51 4.57%

2nd half of 2015 92 8.25%

1st half of 2016 22 1.97%

2nd half of 2016 12 1.08%

2017 6 0.54%

2018 and beyond 10 0.90%

Never 794 71.21%

See results 95 8.52%

Total:1,114

I don't think it will ever outsell PS4 in the US. Sony is not really putting up a battle right now. They have not just turned their backs of course, we still had the BF bundles, and the current 4 pick 1, but that is just the minimum as people have been trained to expect better deals in the holidays.

If things start to get troubled looking Sony will take a much more aggresive approach. They already said in post E3 2013 interviews they were prepared to launch at $349 had MS announced $399. So they have plenty of room now with production cost even lower, to take the battle back to MS.

Next year Sony will be launching a full on assault of AAA titles nearly every single month. This will culminate with the big daddy Uncharted 4. They also have massive plans to bolster their media capabilities to match and surpass XBO. PS4 will be getting PS Vue, and a massive overhaul to its local media and DLNA capabilities in the comming year.

Finally, in the land of hypothetics. Sony still has major franchises that can debut on PS4. I fully expect Gran Turismo to be shown next year, and it will be coming with genre defining partenerships, and exclusive deals. It will also be the poster child of project morpheus. Together GT and Morpheus will begin a new era in video games, and PS4 will be the only place to experience, the revolution.

And that is why I think XBO will not only never catch PS4, but will stall, ...and fall, to a dracmatic deficit.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Around the Network

Hard to believe it, but sustainability of XBO sales into 2015 may well hinge upon $50, specifically whether the MSRP permanently drops to $349/$449 or the temporary sale on all XBO SKUs indeed ends.

What I have a hard time believing, is that there will be equal or greater demand for the XBO core SKU than the PS4 at the same $399. The $499 Kinect bundle at this point almost doesn't even merit mentioning.

At $330, I was tempted to pick up an XBO holiday bundle, paired with additional Target deals ($50 gift card) even though I currently have no desire to play on more than one platform with the current software catalogs. At $399, with no free games or added incentive, the XBO suddenly drops right off my radar once again. This is not to say that I represent the typical consumer, but at pre-holiday prices, the incentive to buy an XBO simply isn't that great and won't change until some of the key exclusive titles affiliated with the XB brand are released.

Never ever not in this world. Just look objectively on what it took for the X1 to manage PS4 like sales for a month and you'll understand its short term and they wont be able to do it month after month.

Impossible to really tell before we see at least a three months trend starting from November 2014. During last gen it happened different things in different years: sometimes Halo (or any other big system seller on any platform) launch and/or BF sales were revealed as just Xmas sales in advance, other times the momentum created then was kept or even increased.
Not to mention that this is a function of not jut one variable, XBOne sales trend alone, but two, PS4 sales trend too.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Alby_da_Wolf said:
Impossible to really tell before we see at least a three months trend starting from November 2014. During last gen it happened different things in different years: sometimes Halo (or any other big system seller on any platform) launch and/or BF sales were revealed as just Xmas sales in advance, other times the momentum created then was kept or even increased.
Not to mention that this is a function of not jut one variable, XBOne sales trend alone, but two, PS4 sales trend too.

Nothing impossibe.  Its was a dozen factors that led to X1 sales, most will not be present in to the new year.  Sounds rather simple enough to me to arrive at its temporary.  

Around the Network
Drazgonow said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:

Nothing impossibe.  Its was a dozen factors that led to X1 sales, most will not be present in to the new year.  Sounds rather simple enough to me to arrive at its temporary.  

Well, some people are swearing MS would be ready to bleed money for years to make it reach and keep US leadership, I don't believe it, but who knows, we saw more bizarre things happen. Although against them happening again there's the fact that Nadella is a well-balanced guy, while Ballmer was a paranoid obsessed not only with money, but also power, control and domination.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

If Sony dont match the price, I guess it should be done on the 2nd half of 2015.

Alby_da_Wolf said:
Drazgonow said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:

Well, some people are swearing MS would be ready to bleed money for years to make it reach and keep US leadership, I don't believe it, but who knows, we saw more bizarre things happen. Although against them happening again there's the fact that Nadella is a well-balanced guy, while Ballmer was a paranoid obsessed not only with money, but also power, control and domination.

Sure but some are sensible and know better, while they will eat some loses trying to stay relevent.  But to maintain PS4 type sales all year even in NA alone would be financially catastrophic for the xbox division.   

thismeintiel said:
Really, guys? Did common sense just walk out the door? First of all, I think anyone with common sense would admit there must be some overtracking/undertracking going on here, cause there's no way MS beat Sony by ~ 400K, like VGC shows. This whole year's sales are going against that. IF the PS4 was outsold, it may have been by 100K or so. If the gap was that big, MS would have already been dropping hints, as well as released BF PR.

Second, have you forgot how the sales have gone this year? The PS4 won every month, so far. Some months by over 100K. Do you honestly think the XBO is going to keep this newfound momentum going all year, without any notable exclusives launching until Fall 2015? The drop from 2013 to 2014 says no. Hell, even with exclusives, like Titanfall, the PS4 won.

Finally, and here's the real kicker, the PS4 is 100% getting a pricecut to at least $349 next year, with possibly a BF bundle for $299. We all know how well the XBO competes against the PS4 when they are the same price. Which also means that if MS doesn't keep the pricecut permanent, the PS4 will probably gain back whatever it's lost Nov and Dec (if anything at all) within 2-3 months.

NPD:

X1: 1.2 million

PS4: 800K (compared to 1.14 million last year,let that sink in)

Also using results from the last 10 NPD to conclude who wins the next one? I don't think that's common sense buddy:).

Proud to be a Californian.