By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Does Mario Maker mean 2D Mario will likely be on hiatus for a while?

So The Game Awards had a new trailer  for Mario Maker, and the customization looks pretty extensive. A lot more than I originally thought. And from LBP and Portal 2 we know people are insane and have incredible ideas for custom levels and so on.

So with this game and it's level creation content generation, will Nintendo creating another 2D Mario be put on the back burner for now? Maybe even until the end of this Gen or until Next gen completely? I think they will probably put 2D mario on hold for a while, though unlike most people I dont think the games are repetitive or bland or casual or anything. I could never get tired of 2D mario myself.

And as a second question, what is your favourite 2D mario art style? Spinoffs like the Wario games included.

Mine, is the clear choice, Yoshi's Island

Mario Maker looks amazing btw, though I'm still hoping for a Yoshi'd Island skin.

Around the Network

It needs a break and this should satisfy for awhile. the NSMB series was kinda milked 2 years ago.

Beside we got Yoshi Wolly World next year!!!

Yep, but we'll probably end up getting New Super Mario Maker next for Wii U2

That would be the only positive thing about Mario Maker if that's true!
2D Mario is bland, repetitive (you fight the same bosses like 17 times in one game, looking at you Boomboom), uninspired, incredibly artificial and stale level design, etc.

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze is the opposite of all that: dynamic, organic, creative level design.

I'm really excited that Mario Maker has Super Mario Bros. 3 and World's sprite style. Wouldn't mind paying 60$ for this now.

Around the Network
Samus Aran said:

2D Mario is bland, repetitive (you fight the same bosses like 17 times in one game, looking at you Boomboom), uninspired, incredibly artificial and stale level design, etc.

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze is the opposite of all that: dynamic, organic, creative level design.

You're killing me. 2D mario has amazing level design. (Boss Battles are not the important part of any 2D mario and I cant fathom people expecting them to be memorable.)

Tropical Freeze does make use of it's environemt better, but I'd say DKC is more just a different experience.

t3mporary_126 said:
I'm really excited that Mario Maker has Super Mario Bros. 3 and World's sprite style. Wouldn't mind paying 60$ for this now.

It's actually pretty sad that those styles look a lot better than the modern style.

forethought14 said:
Yep, but we'll probably end up getting New Super Mario Maker next for Wii U2

I'm more hoping we get a portable Mario Maker (much later/next Gen, dont want to caniballize the sales of this one) because handhelds are all I'd realistically be able to afford.

Smear-Gel said:
Samus Aran said:

You're killing me. 2D mario has amazing level design. (Boss Battles are not the important part of any 2D mario and I cant fathom people expecting them to be memorable.)

Tropical Freeze does make use of it's environemt better, but I'd say DKC is more just a different experience.

Nintendo can't make good bosses, most of them suck. Retro Studios is an exception to this, although some of their bosses are very low on my list as well. Bosses are a part of the game, so it should be just as good as the rest of the game. The only decent Mario boss fight I can remember is the final Bowser fight in 3D World. I love Mario games (3D ones at least), but the bosses suck, plain and simple. 

For the record: I'm talking about the modern 2D Mario games. I love Super Mario Land 2. 

I think it just means you shouldnt expect anymore 2D Mario on Wii U.