By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - MK8 Is More 'Casual'/Easier Than MKWii

Tagged games:

They're both casual because they have crap Battle Modes. Bring back Double Dash!

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

Around the Network
Einsam_Delphin said:
To think of single player as anything more than a track tutorial/warm-up only makes you a casual!

You aren't trying to disprove my argument so I'll take that as support.

NintendoPie said:
Einsam_Delphin said:
To think of single player as anything more than a track tutorial/warm-up only makes you a casual!

You aren't trying to disprove my argument so I'll take that as support.

Well yeah as there is no argument. How casual or hardcore you want Mario Kart to be is up to you. If you choose to play against predictable brain dead CPUs in single player then that's on you!

Einsam_Delphin said:

Well yeah as there is no argument. How casual or hardcore you want Mario Kart to be is up to you. If you choose to play against predictable brain dead CPUs in single player then that's on you!

So you want to forego a whole part of a game because it proves my point? Or are you still agreeing with me?

NintendoPie said:
Einsam_Delphin said:

So you want to forego a whole part of a game because it proves my point? Or are you still agreeing with me?

Neither, did you even read what I said? Mario Kart is only as casual or hardcore as you make it. Whether it's either or isn't universal. Now if you just want to say MKWii's singleplayer is harder to 3 star, then that's no argument either as it's a fact. MK8 lacks all those hidden requirements like how long you're in first for, how many times you fell off, etc. You simply have to get first every race, don't matter how you do it.

Around the Network

I felt the exact opposite. Ultimately, the only way I think to determine which is true is to look at item probability and I don't know where to find that.

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." -My good friend Mark Aurelius

Einsam_Delphin said:

Neither, did you even read what I said? Mario Kart is only as casual or hardcore as you make it. Whether it's either or isn't universal. Now if you just want to say MKWii's singleplayer is harder to 3 star, then that's no argument either as it's a fact. MK8 lacks all those hidden requirements like how long you're in first for, how many times you fell off, etc. You simply have to get first every race, don't matter how you do it.

Considering the single-player is indeed part of a game, I would say that supports the fact that MKWii, as a whole, is in fact more challenging/harder. MK8's lax stance on qualifications makes it more casual, in the literal sense.

I would say the difference really is the feeling of control... I could never get a good consistent control on Mario Kart Wii, while I found that Mario Kart 8's controls to be tighter and more consistent.

Current gaming platforms - Switch, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Wii U, New 3DS, PC

NintendoPie said:
noname2200 said:
What is this, 2009? Casuals are now all either gone and dead, migrated to mobile games, or have simply vanished from existence like third-party Wii U games according to the bloggers, so the new Mario Kart game is not referred to as "casual," just "easy."

I'm using the term people used to downplay MKWii to "downplay" MK8, a game on a console that's widely considered a "hardcore" console for Nintendo fans. (This could lead to more general discussion about Wii versus Wii U in the same stance.)

But the Wii U is a failure, so unlike its predecessor few folks feel any real need to downplay its games. I mean, even on this site the number of folks who take swipes at the Wii U is barely any higher than people who bother taking potshots at the Vita!

My tongue was pretty firmly in cheek with my previous post, but there was more than a grain of truth to it. "Dumbed down" never really meant "casual," even last generation: it was an insult invented to replace "kiddy" for games where the boys and man-children of the world weren't the sole or even primary focus. Basically, it was internet forum geeks' version of this. Since the people who bought a Wii have largely spurned the Wii U, there is no need to apply that term to the latter console, and thus it has largely miraculously vanished from the lexicon. Things might be different if the Wii U had sold more copies than, I dunno, ET The Game, but that would require it to be a different system, so...

But like Dracula, it awaits its revival at some unspecified future date when its creators need some quick money answer to a cataclysmic threat to their world.

noname2200 said:

But the Wii U is a failure, so unlike its predecessor few folks feel any real need to downplay its games. I mean, even on this site the number of folks who take swipes at the Wii U is barely any higher than people who bother taking potshots at the Vita!

My tongue was pretty firmly in cheek with my previous post, but there was more than a grain of truth to it. "Dumbed down" never really meant "casual," even last generation: it was an insult invented to replace "kiddy" for games where the boys and man-children of the world weren't the sole or even primary focus. Basically, it was internet forum geeks' version of this. Since the people who bought a Wii have largely spurned the Wii U, there is no need to apply that term to the latter console, and thus it has largely miraculously vanished from the lexicon. Things might be different if the Wii U had sold more copies than, I dunno, ET The Game, but that would require it to be a different system, so...

But like Dracula, it awaits its revival at some unspecified future date when its creators need some quick money answer to a cataclysmic threat to their world.

First, I would like to point out that I was never being completely serious with the use of the word 'casual' as you can see with my use of it in the first paragraph. Still, what you say is not wrong.

Second, I edited the title.

Third... do you have any say on my actual argument?