By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - MK8 Is More 'Casual'/Easier Than MKWii

Tagged games:

Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:

You do realize that the reason why its easier ways to dodge/destroy the blue shell is cause Nintendo fans whined about it right? And now you are whining about the fact that its too easy to dodge/destroy it? Nintendo really can't make their fans happy now can they?

And I mean... With MK8, its never really about the single player... Its always about the multiplayer so calling the game more casual mostly based on the Single Player seems pretty lolz to me.

I'm not every Nintendo fan, so that doesn't really need to be mentioned.

Also, to both you and tbone, that could very easily be said about MKWii. The online wasn't as fleshed out with MKWii, but it was extremely popular and still used the points system which increases competition.

Around the Network

Pff, MK8 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

toot1231 said:

Never played online on Mk Wii but I have played the single player a ton and this is what hes talking about.

Just to make it clear, I'm not just talking about single player. I used that to support my argument.

@Your other post; If you had the skill to employ your items at the right time you wouldn't get hit.

toot1231 said:
Cream147 said:
toot1231 said:
Mk Wii defines casual there is no skill at all when compared to Mk8.
MK8 even has advanced techniques like fire-hopping.
Mario Kart 8 is risk reward play style that has a giant skill gap compared to MKWii where a 3 year old could get first place just because he got the best items. Mk 8 is not like that at all you have to know the best way around the track and when to use the items.

You were obviously never particularly good at MKWii.

Never played online on Mk Wii but I have played the single player a ton and this is what hes talking about.

It's exceptionally easy to win single player on both, but much harder to 3 star on MKWii. If you want to compare single player, it's no contest, MKWii is significantly more difficult. I think that's a very false way to compare though, when this is a series that has become all about the online.

What is this, 2009? Casuals are now all either gone and dead, migrated to mobile games, or have simply vanished from existence like third-party Wii U games according to the bloggers, so the new Mario Kart game is not referred to as "casual," just "easy."

Around the Network
noname2200 said:
What is this, 2009? Casuals are now all either gone and dead, migrated to mobile games, or have simply vanished from existence like third-party Wii U games according to the bloggers, so the new Mario Kart game is not referred to as "casual," just "easy."

I'm using the term people used to downplay MKWii to "downplay" MK8, a game on a console that's widely considered a "hardcore" console for Nintendo fans. (This could lead to more general discussion about Wii versus Wii U in the same stance.)

NintendoPie said:
Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:

You do realize that the reason why its easier ways to dodge/destroy the blue shell is cause Nintendo fans whined about it right? And now you are whining about the fact that its too easy to dodge/destroy it? Nintendo really can't make their fans happy now can they?

And I mean... With MK8, its never really about the single player... Its always about the multiplayer so calling the game more casual mostly based on the Single Player seems pretty lolz to me.

I'm not every Nintendo fan, so that doesn't really need to be mentioned.

Also, to both you and tbone, that could very easily be said about MKWii. The online wasn't as fleshed out with MKWii, but it was extremely popular and still used the points system which increases competition.

The issue with MKwii is that it was far more frustrating to play for a lot of people than it is for MK8... The game has a flow going that Nintendo wants to keep and when you got hit in MKwii, the flow basically stopped and a lot of people got frustrated by it. What MK8 intends to do is keep the flow going by not punishing the players as roughly. MK is at its best when the racers are in a group cause the items are intended to be used like that hence why they needed a lot less stops and instead, replace it with slow downs if you know what I mean. Extra Credits had a thing on this and I do agree with them

I don't call it being "dumbed down" rather than fixing an issue that got the people frustrated with everytime something unfortunate happens since the game is so random and unpredictable, MK8 lessens that frustration by trying to speed up the recovery time while making sure the Pros still get their advantage

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Both are as hard or as easy as you make it, which is great when I want to introduce video games to family, play with friends with intermediate skill levels, or go hardcore online.

The only difference in strategy I can really think of is Mario Kart Wii's bike exploit, and that was like the "L-cancel" of Mario Kart Wii: Only fun for those who exploited it.

Play online on Mario Kart 8 with anyone with a ranking over 9000 and come back to tell me it's "casual."

Cream147 said:
No, I didn't really notice this. "Casual" is a term that is so overused it doesn't really mean anything now anyway. I consider Mario Kart Wii to be an "accessible" game and Mario Kart 8 the same. (Incidentally I use motion controls for both for maximum fun)

One point you make that is definitely true - it's a lot easier to 3 star all cups on MK8. On MKWii I still haven't managed that to this day (I did manage 1 star on all cups, but no more). However, that's a transition that started on MK7, where it was also super-easy to do that.

At the end of the day, does it actually matter if the game is "casual" or not? The question is whether it's fun. Both MKWii and MK8 deliver very strongly on the fun factor for me - and online is still a fantastic challenge on MK8 simply because even if the game is easy, online it's easy for everyone!

I've explained my use of the word 'casual' to NoName.

Anywho, it seems you are agreeing with me. However, you go off course at the end. This thread isn't about which one is better than the other/which is more fun, because difficulty isn't the only defining factor in a game. Still, difficulty makes a game have more replay value as you keep trying to do better, because there's always expanses of room to improve. With MK8 I got bored quickly because I already reached a max level, at least single-player wise.

To think of single player as anything more than a track tutorial/warm-up only makes you a casual!