By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Why would PS4 win December NPD?

kowenicki said:
SweetTalia said:

Man it's amazing how times has changed. almost a year ago many claimed price did not matter for Microsoft....but now it's price, price, price.. very cute :-p

edit: but yes i believe MS has a great chance of winning december because of price advantage :-p

Dont I know it.

This "fire sale" and "giving away for nothing" hyperbole needs to stop too.  Its so transparent and quite annoying. 

If cutting the price by 34% ($500 --> $329), packing in 2 games for free (AC: Unity and AC: Black Flag) plus the choice of a retail 3rd game (at MS Store) or $30/$50 (Walmart and Target) gift cards to help incentivize sales even more to finally get a noticeable sales boost isn't a "fire sale" and "giving it away for nothing"....then I don't know what is.

"Bu...bu..but. It's not 'reducing the price'. They removed Kinect. Different SKU. It was only a $70 price cut"

Don't care. End of the day, Mr. Price is 95% of the Reason, sales were low at $500 and did not pick up til $329. It's not "hyperbole" when it's facts.

edit: and I'm very well aware that my comment may be reportable/moderation worthy, but I'm tired of all the whining because 12 months of facts and data doesn't sit well with certain people.

Around the Network
thx1139 said:
GribbleGrunger said:

It depends on what they announce. I'm under no delusion that the event itself will drive PS4 sales, but what they announce and potentialy release, could and probably WILL IF at least one unannounced and highly anticipated game gets released this year. Have I, or will I, invest entirely in that notion? OF COURSE NOT. That is why I say we should wait until the Playstation Event to decide on who wins December.

How Sony fanboys think is not in any way related to how I think.

So you think they are going to drop a highly anticipated game between the date of the event and December 25th that will cause people to rush out and purchase a PS4.  No retailers advertisements about the game (Weekly advertisements for week starting December 14th have already started leaking).   Seriously is that what you claim will happen?

I've given you a little help. Are you incapable of thinking in anything but absolutes?

The PS5 Exists. 

thx1139 said:
soony_xbone_U said:
thx1139 said:
GribbleGrunger said:

I think it's best to watch the Playstation Event before we decide if Sony will win December ... (In America).

Seriously people think that Joe/Janet Consumer our shopping for Christmas presents will have any idea about some Playstation Event?  Some event that previews some future games is going to move Christmas shoppers.  People really need to understand the event drives people in forums like this, but not someone looking for gifts.  Only way it moves shoppers if during the event it is announced that for the remainder of the year PS4 $50 off.

Yes. Such events only drive preoders for the announced future games. But not immediately hardware sales.
The only question is will there be the 399 game bundles available for the rest of December, or not.
If yes, Sony has a chance to win. If not, Sony has now chance to win and will lose quite badly.
And at least the first batch seems to be sold out. I'm not sure, if more will come. Amazon back in stock is no good indicator. They said 5 times the white Xb1 or the CoD bundle will come back. Both did not happen...

Yes and retailer sales advertisements which get posted at CheapAssGamer.Com give previews of what retailers have planned. Advertisements for week starting December 14th have started to popup and no sign of discounted price or the bundle continuing for the PS4.  That will leave 1 more week before Christmas.   

Damn. So that bundle is really limeted? Would suck for every one, who wants a Ps4 for christmas.

GribbleGrunger said:
thx1139 said:
GribbleGrunger said:

It depends on what they announce. I'm under no delusion that the event itself will drive PS4 sales, but what they announce and potentialy release, could and probably WILL IF at least one unannounced and highly anticipated game gets released this year. Have I, or will I, invest entirely in that notion? OF COURSE NOT. That is why I say we should wait until the Playstation Event to decide on who wins December.

How Sony fanboys think is not in any way related to how I think.

So you think they are going to drop a highly anticipated game between the date of the event and December 25th that will cause people to rush out and purchase a PS4.  No retailers advertisements about the game (Weekly advertisements for week starting December 14th have already started leaking).   Seriously is that what you claim will happen?

I've given you a little help. Are you incapable of thinking in anything but absolutes?

No, but even considering that notion that not only is Sony holding back some incredible software title that will drive people to the stores for a surprise release is just plain silly.   No leaks, no planned advertisements, just some incredible title.  Yes you put in a disclaimer or 2, but also said wait until the event because apparently you do think there is a real chance.

Its libraries that sell systems not a single game.

Serious_frusting said:
Well being as everything the xbone had going for it and it only squeaked a win on black Friday according to preliminaries, I think the PS4 has a good chance to win December NPD.

Lol. I didnt even make it past the first page before this post made me burst out in laughter. Well done. 

Around the Network

of course xbox will win dec npd,.. it's been a solid 5 weeks since xbox's last price cut so it's overdue for another. when xbox hits $250 sales are going to beast.

SweetTalia said:
Intrinsic said:
kowenicki said:

How does that change what we are saying?  It is the buying season and price is determining a great deal of what is happening.  That is all we are saying.

And just as many are eating crow on the ONE.  It was dead, it would be beat 2:1 in the US and UK, 10:1 elsewhere... etc etc.

The ONE is hammering the 360's performance and doing just fine.

Fair enough, but being cheaper than the PS4 with two free games is very different from being sold at the exact same price.

And as for the XB1 doing fine, and how well or not its beaten or not... I think you should calm down a bit. The XB1 is doing well this season (and for obviously good reason). But this is not a victory. What happpens if at the end of the year the XB1 has managed 10-11M in sales while the PS4 has done 20M to 21M? What happens when come january the PS4 goes right back to outselling the XB1 every month till november next year? What happens when this time next year the PS4 costs $300-$350 too?

I am not knocking the XB1s accomplishments, I feel any sane sensible person would have known thatthe XB1 would most likely take november with allthey were doing. But I just feel that some are jumping to conclusions way too early. Especially when it means ignoring the obvious white elephant in the room. 

Which is; if the PS4 manages 20M sold at the end of 2014 and the XB1 manages 11M. It would mean that in 2014, both consoles sold 16M and 8M respectively. Anyways, lets forget about that. I am sure some will say this has nothing to do with how well the XB1 is selling right now. I just think if XB1 can win a few months during the slow period of the year... it would be overall better for them.

Huh? What are you talking about? I am puzzled....

All we said was many claimed in the beginning that price was never a factor for people not buying an xbox one.

And yes, many also claimed that the x1 was dead.. all those doom threads about the x1 in the past year... I am not sure what is so wrong about what we said. Everything we said is the truth.. PS4 can do down to 299 tomorrow but it does not stop the fact that price is a factor to consumers. You going too deep on this.

OK, stop this. Many who? I've never seem any significant number of people claim what you say many claimed.

Intrinsic said:

If the basis of those doom threads was that the XB1 is so far behind that there is no way it will make a comback? then what is happenning now does not change that. And will only get worse as the generation goes on. Once both consoles are under $300, it won't matter how much cheaper the XB1 can be at that point. 

and people "claimed" that price was not a factor when before MS removed kinect. They said that even without kinect and the XB1 being the same price with the PS4 the PS4 will still outsell it. They said, that the XB1 has to be cheaper to stand a chance. Those people were not wrong, thast what I am saying. You guys seem to be claiming victory for a battle that was never fought.

This is on the other hand is what I remember many people saying. That price parity wasn't enough, it needed to be cheaper, that a comeback worldwide is really difficult if not impossible, but in the US is not totally out of the question. After MS reveled their November deals most people have been predicting their victory in NPD. what people differ is the margin of that victory.

It's the best place to play! ;)

vivster said:
It seems I stand corrected. I guess nobody was saying that PS4 will win December for sure in US.

Also the reason why I'm focusing on US so much is that the WW race is already done. It's just too easy for the PS4 to sell well elsewhere. So it's boring now.
It only gets juicy if you win on someone else's home turf.

No, some people do think PS4 could win December, but you need to realize that this ultimately depends on the deals available. I mean Xbox have their bundle again at $330 and PS4 doesn't even have any bundles available on Amazon, maybe they're having difficulties to meet demand, this all makes it difficult to predict.

For example I always expected that Sony would have the GTA Bundle the day of release of the game not at the end of the month and their Black Friday bundles to be a little more aggressive. None of this happened, that can fuck up expectations.

PS4 hav more chance to win Deceber because on November for XO is coming Halo MCC and the COD-AC Unity bundle...
It will sell even on December, but the boost was on November...
On November for XO was coming more games than for PS4, so, this time will be a fight "no games VS no games"...
Also, the PlayStation Experience...

But for sure XO have a good chance for won even December.