By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Assassins Creed Unity is clearly the best looking game ever.

The validity of the statement in this headline is clearly a matter of personal taste.

Whether in motion or not.

Around the Network
ps3-sales! said:

When standing completely still. 

I thought the same thing. The game looks great...

Unless you're running or watching a cutscene. The lack of polish can be jarring.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

The game looks good but has performance issues (not broken like some would have u believe though). In no way does it come close to the best looking though, even at a standstill.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

It doesn't look bad when I watched a buddy play it on his PS4, but I still don't think it's the best. inFamous caught my eye a lot more, even if it didn't have shittons of pointless NPCs roaming all over the place and getting in the way. ;)

0331 Happiness is a belt-fed weapon

DialgaMarine said:
It doesn't look bad when I watched a buddy play it on his PS4, but I still don't think it's the best. inFamous caught my eye a lot more, even if it didn't have shittons of pointless NPCs roaming all over the place and getting in the way. ;)

don't forget infamous worls is tiny compared to AC unity. The level detail fro a world as big as unity with that many NPCs is impressive. theres alot of detail in the game.

Around the Network

Yeah it looks good when not in motion, but I still think Driveclub looks even better, whether in motion or not. Though of course AC: Unity is a lot more demanding and is open-world, but as it is Driveclub looks better even when not in motion.

GTAexpert said:
Yeah it looks good when not in motion, but I still think Driveclub looks even better, whether in motion or not. Though of course AC: Unity is a lot more demanding and is open-world, but as it is Driveclub looks better even when not in motion.

In regards to drive club. when to mighty ape launch party ( game retailer in nz) and they had driveclub to play. from what i saw , the graphics weren't that great to me.for me it was good looking but not phenomenal as the environment didn't look as detailed as everyone claimed it was in the review. I would say based on what i saw forza horizon 2 looked better.  i even got to drive in taht game. the driving is kk very simplistic but no wehere as good as froza or gran turismo . howveer itgs better then NFS games. 

dane007 said:
GTAexpert said:

In regards to drive club. when to mighty ape launch party ( game retailer in nz) and they had driveclub to play. from what i saw , the graphics weren't that great to me.for me it was good looking but not phenomenal as the environment didn't look as detailed as everyone claimed it was in the review. I would say based on what i saw forza horizon 2 looked better.  i even got to drive in taht game. the driving is kk very simplistic but no wehere as good as froza or gran turismo . howveer itgs better then NFS games. 

I've played both and Driveclub looks better though FH2's visual style is really appealing. The driving would obviously be more simple than Forza Motorsport and GT as its not a sim racer.

I completely disagree as do most PC gamers. It's not even in the top 5 of the best looking PC games, easily outclassed by Crysis 3, Metro LL, Ryse: Son of Rome, Skyrim/GTA IV modded.

Here are the main isssues:

1) Low polygon NPCs look ugly up close; they also have very poor /primitive facial animations.

2) Pre-baked lighting model is miles behind Godrays of games like Crysis 3 and Far Cry 4. The shadows are primitive, with many in-game objects appearing as if they are floating above the ground/floor. None of the shadows or lighting in the game is dynamic which produces unrealistic shadows/missing shadows in many parts of the game. Lighting and shadow model especially in the interior of buildings is completely broken in the game, and has no realism to it.

3) In general the game is ridden in Low polygon characters and low polygon objects. The detail level on Geralt in the Witcher 3 is above any details of in-game characters in Unity in cut scenes! On top of that you have character model clipping even in places where are not a lot of NPCs.

4) Poor level of detail in far draw distance. Anything much beyond 15 meters looks washed out in terms of textures. Textures are also very low quality for foliage/grass, and in game objects up close.

5) Lack of any realistic physics models / object interaction. Main character falling into a hay cart does nothing to the cart. Physics model is nowhere near Crysis 1 from 2007.

6) The hair in the game, especially in cut scenes, looks horrible.

Examples:
- Horrible textures, broken shadow/lighting model, low polygon characters/faces:
https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3949/15574968439_514217d84e_o_d.png

- Unrealistic looking hair and facial animations
https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3955/15762446942_ed5c398153_o_d.png

Those Ubisoft pre-rendered PR shots are nothing but BS. The final game looks nothing like them in real life/in motion. At best the in-game graphics are at 2010/2011 PC level.

You can cherry-pick a ton of games that look amazing in select screenshots.

Optimization is also horrendous as maxed out it looks like crap in many scenes.
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7569/15596990070_3e380e526f_o.png
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7506/15161842084_5e48998b77_o.png
http://postimg.org/image/93ye16jhn/full/
http://postimg.org/image/5igz6lltf/full/

To call this game the best looking game is an insult to gaming graphics or you've been playing on consoles for too long. Total Biscuit agrees with all of my main points:

"Texture quality is awful, even on characters clothing, huge popin, incorrect lighting, faulty texture streaming "

Star Citizen, Witcher 3, Project CARS will all make Unity look "last generation" in comparison. Unity is still between half to a full generation behind Crysis 3, nevermind these other games.

Ruler said:
bloodborne will look better and run better

Well, Bloodborne surely looks good but the artstyle is totally different. Technically it is not very impressive but it is fluid and has a wonderful atmosphere.