By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - What do yo think will be the hardware specifications of PS5 if it arrives arround 2019-2020?

Kirin_gaming said:
Captain_Tom said:

Kirin_gaming said:

This is actually true but, we have to remember that the 4k we have today won't be the same 5 years later,it'll actually be much more harder to run.I think it is very unlikely we are going to see the PS5 running native 4k since I believe we aren't gonna see a middle range card capable of runnign 4k at 60fps in the next 5 years,consoles have to be cost effective,so I don't think they would put a middle-high range card inside the console.

We are just going to have to disagree on that.  5 years is a very long time.

Actually yeah,I take that back.Sometimes I forget that there are other quality settings besides ultra. 

So now, I'm guessing we could see it running 4k at medium-high settings,I hope you are right about the cpu though, a powerful 8-core cpu would be more than enough for that resolution, a 16-core would be interesting as well, so that some cores are used for background tasks and the ones left are all used for gaming.

Well remember I said a powerful 8-Core + a backup quad-core for background tasks.

Around the Network

It would pretty much have to be 4K compatible at that time. So...

3.6 GHz 8 core i7 CPU (2 cores dedicated for OS).

GPU equivalent to 2015 second highest level graphics card.

16 GB of unified DDR5 RAM (4GB reserve for system).

No disc drive models (cheaper models without disc drive, and premium models with).

64 GB unremoveable SSD (for system OS) and 3 TB upgradeable HDD (5 TB on model with no disc drive).

x64 architecture

Overall, I think they follow the same gameplan as this gen- release relatively mid-range specs that just meet the resolution requirement for a lower price than normal (expect around $400-500 again).

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

ICStats said:
SvennoJ said:

What makes you think that's enough to do 4K at 30fps? Thats a 4x increase in resolution, while ps4 already has trouble maintaining 30 fps with a 2.25 increase in resolution.

An 8x faster GPU with 10x faster memory bandwidth would handle the 4x increase in resolution, unless the extra power is used on bigger effects.

With the pixels being finer, they can reduce some things like anti-aliasing as well.  For example on a regular PC monitor, you need LCD sub-pixel font rendering to make text look nice, but on a Retina resoution screen the pixels are so fine that you don't need sub-pixel fonts.

And that's the problem. PS4 is also has a GPU that's about 8x faster, with 7x higher memory bandwidth. And sure, it can run TloU at 1080p at mostly 60fps, yet the improved shadows are only available with 30fps lock. So 4K at 30fps should indeed be achievable, ie without any further enhancements.

Anti aliasing is already at a minimum in most console titles. Cheap solutions to reduce shimmer is about the most you get. You'll still need that at 4K.

Bigger effects will come first, otherwise people still without a 4K tv will literally see no difference. (Well I guess they'll be enjoying 4xFSAA by downsampling to 1080p)

I'm conflicted, I love a big screen with high resolution, yet I'm also eager to see some actual ray tracing used for realistic lighting, and VR needs 60 or even 75fps. 4k x2 @ 75fps ray traced VR games, not in 2020.

Recently console games have switched away from using MSAA because post process techniques are giving typically better AA quality for the cost, e.g. approximating 4x4 MSAA quality. On 2160p, using 2x2 hardware MSAA may be just fine in terms of quality, and so the cost per pixel will be lower than using post-process AA. Either that or they use a post-process AA with smaller filter size... still reducing the cost per pixel.

To be honest, unless you look up close it's hard to see the 4k difference except on a very large format screen so in next console generation we may see 4k output but not full native 4k resolution, for example 1920x2160 scaled by 2x horizontally, or using hybrid AA.

In a way I think we can think of 4k as needing not 4x the power, but closer to 2x~2.5x because of the advantages of smaller pixels and visual limits.  A comparison is 4k Blu-ray spec is not 4x the spec for 1080p Blu-ray but about 2.5x capacity and max 2.5x the bitrate.

My 8th gen collection

ICStats said:

Recently console games have switched away from using MSAA because post process techniques are giving typically better AA quality for the cost, e.g. approximating 4x4 MSAA quality. On 2160p, using 2x2 hardware MSAA may be just fine in terms of quality, and so the cost per pixel will be lower than using post-process AA. Either that or they use a post-process AA with smaller filter size... still reducing the cost per pixel.

To be honest, unless you look up close it's hard to see the 4k difference except on a very large format screen so in next console generation we may see 4k output but not full native 4k resolution, for example 1920x2160 scaled by 2x horizontally, or using hybrid AA.

In a way I think we can think of 4k as needing not 4x the power, but closer to 2x~2.5x because of the advantages of smaller pixels and visual limits.  A comparison is 4k Blu-ray spec is not 4x the spec for 1080p Blu-ray but about 2.5x capacity and max 2.5x the bitrate.

Isn't it because MSAA only anti aliases the geometry? All the post process effects, transparancies and temporal aliasing effects still need to be dealt with.

Plus the 4K difference will be very noticeable in VR, next-gen 4K VR glasses should be very possible. OR is already aiming for 1440p and there are rumours Sony is too. And 4K smart phone screens are on their way.

Blu-ray 4k does use 4x the bandwidth, you're forgetting that h.265 is about twice as efficient as h.264 (and more than 4x as computationally expensive)

But yes 2560x2160p (2.6x 1080p) and 1600p (2.5x 1080p) upscaling is probably the max we'll get next gen.

Around the Network
CrazyGPU said:
I dont think it will be 10 time more powerfull, but I hope it will be 6-7 times more powerfull. that would give it arround 12-14Teraflops, enough for 4k at high quality. 32 GB of RAM would be nice. And probably a 2 TB Hard disk drive. SSD is too expensive, but it might replace a disk like that. A bandwith of 0.8-1 TB/s would be great too. I would like a CPU at least 2 times faster than the current. Anyway, its going to be a long time, I guess six years after PS4 Launch, 2019. But if Microsoft and Nintendo continue selling a lot less, then next gen could come earlier.

I revive my post posted more than 3 years ago, maybe some new people want to guess, after all we probably have 3 more years to wait for a 2020 PS5. Its funny some people that posted are banned!. 

So Nintendo continued selling a lot less, and the switch came in less than 5 years. I was half right there. Microsoft updated the One.

As you can read, at the end of 2014 some of us were predicting 4k 30 fps, others 1440p and some even 4k 60 fps. Ryzen was not here, so it wasn´t named. And still its just a posibility. Also there are rumors now about a discrete graphic card for PS5, if true cost would rise. If not, Ryzen APU is the most obvious guess.

2020 PS5 Specs

CPU: Anyway I said 2x the PS4s CPU performance and maybe I´ll be right.

RAM: Many people thought 16 GB of ram would be enough. Other scalated to 64.

I still say 32GB of ram would be nice, but now I think 24 or 16GB have more chance to become the final number. So maybe I was being too willing, we´ll see.

GPU: I thought about a GPU with 12-14 teraflops in 2014. Of course I would love that, but now I think 10-12 Tf  will be more of a real thing. Again, we´ll see.

I still think of 2TB drive or a hibrid one with the same storage.

I also stated 0.8 to 1 TB/s bandwith, but that is not gonna happen, Im wrong there for sure.

2017 GPUs have better optimization of data transfer and compression, I don´t think we are going to get more than 0.5 TB/s. Also HMB2 is too expensive and hard to find. DDR6 will be the memory of choise.

Anyway, we are half way there (2020 PS5).

What do you think the PS5 hardware especifications will be by 2020?

CrazyGPU said:
CrazyGPU said:
I dont think it will be 10 time more powerfull, but I hope it will be 6-7 times more powerfull. that would give it arround 12-14Teraflops, enough for 4k at high quality. 32 GB of RAM would be nice. And probably a 2 TB Hard disk drive. SSD is too expensive, but it might replace a disk like that. A bandwith of 0.8-1 TB/s would be great too. I would like a CPU at least 2 times faster than the current. Anyway, its going to be a long time, I guess six years after PS4 Launch, 2019. But if Microsoft and Nintendo continue selling a lot less, then next gen could come earlier.

I revive my post posted more than 3 years ago, maybe some new people want to guess, after all we probably have 3 more years to wait for a 2020 PS5. Its funny some people that posted are banned!. 

So Nintendo continued selling a lot less, and the switch came in less than 5 years. I was half right there. Microsoft updated the One.

As you can read, at the end of 2014 some of us were predicting 4k 30 fps, others 1440p and some even 4k 60 fps. Ryzen was not here, so it wasn´t named. And still its just a posibility. Also there are rumors now about a discrete graphic card for PS5, if true cost would rise. If not, Ryzen APU is the most obvious guess.

2020 PS5 Specs

CPU: Anyway I said 2x the PS4s CPU performance and maybe I´ll be right.

RAM: Many people thought 16 GB of ram would be enough. Other scalated to 64.

I still say 32GB of ram would be nice, but now I think 24 or 16GB have more chance to become the final number. So maybe I was being too willing, we´ll see.

GPU: I thought about a GPU with 12-14 teraflops in 2014. Of course I would love that, but now I think 10-12 Tf  will be more of a real thing. Again, we´ll see.

I still think of 2TB drive or a hibrid one with the same storage.

I also stated 0.8 to 1 TB/s bandwith, but that is not gonna happen, Im wrong there for sure.

2017 GPUs have better optimization of data transfer and compression, I don´t think we are going to get more than 0.5 TB/s. Also HMB2 is too expensive and hard to find. DDR6 will be the memory of choise.

Anyway, we are half way there (2020 PS5).

What do you think the PS5 hardware especifications will be by 2020?

You're a little vague in your predictions, like what type of cpu are you expecting? A jaguar or ryzen, maybe something else??

6x master league achiever in starcraft2

Beaten Sigrun on God of war mode

Beaten DOOM ultra-nightmare with NO endless ammo-rune, 2x super shotgun and no decoys on ps4 pro.

1-0 against Grubby in Wc3 frozen throne ladder!!

I wrote down these specs in another post recently:

"I expect a 4 core cpu with 8 threads (2,8ghz), 9 TF gpu, 16 GB gddr6 (448 GB/s bandwidth) and a mechanical hard drive for laptops (140+ mb/s read speed)."

But I'm changing that, I now expect a 8 core with (most likely zen2 will the architecture) 2,6 ghz clock speed. With 6 cores available for games and 2 core is for the OS. Rest of the specs remain the same in my prediction.

A 4 core cpu would just not be good enough for next-gen system especially with 1 core being taken by the OS.

Last edited by Trumpstyle - on 18 February 2018

Beaten DOOM ultra-nightmare with NO endless ammo-rune, 2x super shotgun and no decoys on ps4 pro.

BraLoD said:
I don't understand why people are wanting to talk about the PS5 yet.
PS4 is doing great and we still have so many great games to hit, let us talk about the PS5 when we need it.
Of course Sony has been developing it for a while now but there is no hurry.
After TLOU2 hits we may focus on the PS5 xP

It's just for fun dude :)

What I'd LIKE them to do? Release something that has a power leap of PS2 to PS3. I'd like them to eat the cost on hardware and then recoup on software, like the industry use to do oh... forever until this generation?

What WILL they do? Probably exactly the opposite of that and pull another PS4/Xbox One where it's basically a PS4 Pro 1.5. They'll try and tell us it's next generation because the OS is "snappier" or how great it is at uploading video streams that only 1% will actually be able to monetize to any useful degree.