By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - What do yo think will be the hardware specifications of PS5 if it arrives arround 2019-2020?

BraLoD said:
I don't understand why people are wanting to talk about the PS5 yet.
PS4 is doing great and we still have so many great games to hit, let us talk about the PS5 when we need it.
Of course Sony has been developing it for a while now but there is no hurry.
After TLOU2 hits we may focus on the PS5 xP

The PS4 has been on the market for fucking... almost five YEARS. I think it's well overdo to talk about it.

Around the Network
Trumpstyle said:

I wrote down these specs in another post recently:

"I expect a 4 core cpu with 8 threads (2,8ghz), 9 TF gpu, 16 GB gddr6 (448 GB/s bandwidth) and a mechanical hard drive for laptops (140+ mb/s read speed)."

But I'm changing that, I now expect a 7 core with 14 thread ryzen cpu (most likely zen2 will the architecture) with 2,3 ghz clock speed. With 6 cores available for games and 1 core is for the OS. Rest of the specs remain the same in my prediction.

A 4 core cpu would just not be good enough for next-gen system especially with 1 core being taken by the OS. If you wondering why exactly 7 cores instead of 8 cores it's cause it will be cheaper to produce with 1 core disabled.

SMT (2 threads by core) is not ideal for a console, apparently it's kind of random. I think it would make much more sense (and be less expensive anyways) for 8 cores, 8 threads. Also BC with PS4 would be much easier like this.

AMD produce their CPU by chunk of 4. So it would be 6 cores (with 2 disabled) or 8.

Powered by fairy dust and unicorn hoofs with one of hideous kojimas testicles added to the mix.

PSN ID: Stokesy 

Add me if you want but let me know youre from this website

If PS5 is coming in late 2019 - 2020.

CPU - Ryzen 8 Core/ 8 Thread with tech from the next unreleased Ryzen revision.

GPU - AMD Next Gen Architecture, 14 TFLOP/s

RAM - 32GB HBM or GDDR6

Storage - 2TB M.2 NVMe Drive

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

AlfredoTurkey said:

What I'd LIKE them to do? Release something that has a power leap of PS2 to PS3. I'd like them to eat the cost on hardware and then recoup on software, like the industry use to do oh... forever until this generation?

What WILL they do? Probably exactly the opposite of that and pull another PS4/Xbox One where it's basically a PS4 Pro 1.5. They'll try and tell us it's next generation because the OS is "snappier" or how great it is at uploading video streams that only 1% will actually be able to monetize to any useful degree.

No.

Hunting Season is done...

Around the Network
CrazyGPU said:
CrazyGPU said:
I dont think it will be 10 time more powerfull, but I hope it will be 6-7 times more powerfull. that would give it arround 12-14Teraflops, enough for 4k at high quality. 32 GB of RAM would be nice. And probably a 2 TB Hard disk drive. SSD is too expensive, but it might replace a disk like that. A bandwith of 0.8-1 TB/s would be great too. I would like a CPU at least 2 times faster than the current. Anyway, its going to be a long time, I guess six years after PS4 Launch, 2019. But if Microsoft and Nintendo continue selling a lot less, then next gen could come earlier.

I revive my post posted more than 3 years ago, maybe some new people want to guess, after all we probably have 3 more years to wait for a 2020 PS5. Its funny some people that posted are banned!. 

So Nintendo continued selling a lot less, and the switch came in less than 5 years. I was half right there. Microsoft updated the One.

As you can read, at the end of 2014 some of us were predicting 4k 30 fps, others 1440p and some even 4k 60 fps. Ryzen was not here, so it wasn´t named. And still its just a posibility. Also there are rumors now about a discrete graphic card for PS5, if true cost would rise. If not, Ryzen APU is the most obvious guess.

2020 PS5 Specs

CPU: Anyway I said 2x the PS4s CPU performance and maybe I´ll be right.

RAM: Many people thought 16 GB of ram would be enough. Other scalated to 64.

I still say 32GB of ram would be nice, but now I think 24 or 16GB have more chance to become the final number. So maybe I was being too willing, we´ll see.

GPU: I thought about a GPU with 12-14 teraflops in 2014. Of course I would love that, but now I think 10-12 Tf  will be more of a real thing. Again, we´ll see.

I still think of 2TB drive or a hibrid one with the same storage.

I also stated 0.8 to 1 TB/s bandwith, but that is not gonna happen, Im wrong there for sure.

2017 GPUs have better optimization of data transfer and compression, I don´t think we are going to get more than 0.5 TB/s. Also HMB2 is too expensive and hard to find. DDR6 will be the memory of choise.

Anyway, we are half way there (2020 PS5).

What do you think the PS5 hardware especifications will be by 2020?

I think your right about most of these, atm I share the same expectations.... except for the CPU.
I think the new CPU will be a bigger step-up than a x2 factor (like x5 or more).

Gpu ~10-12 TF.

Yes I could see 16GB for gameing, and 4-8gb for OS ect (20-24 gb total).

I think 1tb hhd will be the norm.... but there probably will be 2tb sku's.

As powerful As Three PS4 duct-taped together

CPU: Definitely RYzen something. And also one with 8 cores. And based on Ryzen CPU architecture alone when compared to jaguar; even if it were running at the same clock of the jaguar cores we would be seeing around 2x the performance and I am certain it would be running at at least higher than 2.5Ghz. So that would translate to at least 3-4x the performance compared to what we have in the PS4 now.

GPU: At least 12TF. By at least 12TF i mean that's literally the worst they could do. Taking fabrication processes into account, they can get 36(40 actual CUs with 4 deactivated) in a console form factor in the PS4pro on a 16nm process. On the XB1 x we have 40CUs(44 actual) on a slightly bigger SOC. On a 7nm process we an at the very least double that CU count. So we are looking at 80/90 CUs in a SOC the size of what's in the PS4pro today. Couple that with better thermals and higher clocks we are looking at at least 12TF. Then add in any other architectural designs and that theoretical performance can only go up.

If they opt for a split hip design, where the have a dedicated cpu chip and dedicated GPU chip, then you could even double everything i just said about the GPU right now. I have a sneaking suspicion that this may be what they do, have my reasons for that but thats another story.

RAM: To HBM2 or not to HBM2. The PS5 wont got with HBM2, at least not initially. I believe it will come with 16 GB of ram spread across 8 ram modules with a bandwidth of around 570GB/s+. if they are going with just 8 modules to hit 16GB. 

Mind, such Ram doesn't exist yet cause that would require 16Gbit ram modules (technically they do, caise samsung just started making them this year GDDR6). To put things in perspective, PS4 launched with 4Gbit ram modules (512MB) and had 16 of them in a clamshell config (8 on front and 8 on back of MB). Today it has 8Gbit ram modules (1GB) and thus only needs 8 modules to get an 8GB system. I dont think its far fetched that we could have 2GB modules by 2020. 

They will also have a seperate pool of 8GB LPDDR4 ram reserved exclusively for the OS. Bringing total console ram to 24GB.

STORAGE: I believe the PS5 (and next Xbox) will finally jump to solid state drives. And of the M.2 variety. While the consoles will support PCIEx4 based nvMe drives by default (~2000Mb/s + reads) the consoles will come with a 1TB sata 3 based m.2 drive instead (~500Mb/s reads). Right now you can get a 512GB M.2 sata ssd for under $150.

Thats not what it would cost for sony and those prices will come down in the next 2/3yrs. Drives will be user upgradeable of course.

Last edited by Intrinsic - on 16 February 2018

AlfredoTurkey said:

What I'd LIKE them to do? Release something that has a power leap of PS2 to PS3. I'd like them to eat the cost on hardware and then recoup on software, like the industry use to do oh... forever until this generation?

What WILL they do? Probably exactly the opposite of that and pull another PS4/Xbox One where it's basically a PS4 Pro 1.5. They'll try and tell us it's next generation because the OS is "snappier" or how great it is at uploading video streams that only 1% will actually be able to monetize to any useful degree.

The only time Nintendo ever sold their consoles at a loss were the Wii U and post pricecut 3DS.... Sony did eat some cost on the PS1 and PS2, and they ate an enormous cost on the PS3, which contributed to almost bankrupting them.... Yeah, somehow I don't think that's a good idea. You'd kill the industry.

It will have a ryzen CPU so all games will be 60 FPS .and an 11 TF GPU and 16 gigs of memory.the CPU in the ps4 is a bottleneck even the pros CPU sucks