By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - What do yo think will be the hardware specifications of PS5 if it arrives arround 2019-2020?

Weird question. How can anybody’s guessing of what the specs will be really matter?? I don’t get it.

Around the Network

8 core cpu hopefully at 3.0ghz
16gb ram is more than sufficient
The gpu should be equivalent to a 1060 or rx580
1tb hdd

But I'd prefer them to ditch off the shelf parts and go for unique architecture like the ps3 and ps3

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

CrazyGPU said: 

if they go for premium cooler and stuff like Xbox one X, If they do, and if 7 nm is ready, they can perfectly reach 12 Teraflops as you explained up there.

then you get 8,4 x 1.139% = 9,57 Teraflops. With a new architecture, probably more.

Let´s give the same treatment for 12 Teraflops Xbox one X like machine. x 1.139 = 13,67 Teraflops.

And the magic marketing numbers are 10, for being the first 10 Tflop machine or more than 12, that´s 2 times Xbox One X.

So my first estimation in 2014 was 12-14 Tf. My actual one is 10-12 Tf, but with your calculation my old estimation can be achievable too. I still think that 15  high, it also depend on the bandwith to feed it. A wide bus translates in more power consumption. But I see your reasons now and I think is perfectly doable.

I hope they get there. A 14 Tf PS5 would be 7,6 times more powerfull than original PS4. A nice jump for 4k and VR.

Thanks. Now about them going for the PS4pro double..... I think that is strategically impossible. Whatever the case here, we are looking at at least double the PS4pro or XB1X. Now it would just be a flat out bad business decision to double the PS4pro when we all know that MS will at the very least double the XB1X. And if we use your calculations, we are talking about at leat 9.5TF vs 13.6TF. Thats almost 3TF worth of muscle being left on the table. That would be marketing and design suicide for sony. 

I do agree with you though that 15TF is a little high, I mean there are a number of factors that could prevent them from pushing their designs that far... reliability and longevity being two of the most important amongst them. So its possible that even if the hardware can hit 15TF, the could settle for something like 12-13TF.

But this comes down to what MS is gonna do. Neither of them is going to let the other have any meaningful performance advantage out of the gate this time around. MS knows what it cost them this gen, sony knows how it favored them. 

Skeeuk said:
8 core cpu hopefully at 3.0ghz
16gb ram is more than sufficient
The gpu should be equivalent to a 1060 or rx580
1tb hdd

But I'd prefer them to ditch off the shelf parts and go for unique architecture like the ps3 and ps3

That will make 3rd party developers very unhappy, especially the very small indie studios. It will also make the PS5 way more expensive.

10 TB of memory with a 8K/120FPS output on the new round and curved 3D 12K TVs if you use the new HDMI-44X.2 GPU cable. And a 15" VR/HD/Tri-fold screen will snap off the top to take with you. It will fold out around your head, resting on your shoulders. You will be able to bake PopTarts in the "SNAX' slot, but not bagels. That will come in '26 with the PS5.5Semi-Pro units selling for $999. But no more BluRay player...

Around the Network
Intrinsic said:

The OG XB1 APU had a chip size (with all of its 1.2TF GPU) of 368mm sq. The 16nm XB1X (with a 6TF GPU) has a chip size of 360mm sq. Its not only smaller than the OG XB1 but its drawing less power and generating less heat. The reason MS went with a more expensive cooling solution is cause they wanted to go for that super slim form factor. Hence its even smaller than the OG XB1 and the PS4pro.

Although I agree with you. I disagree with this particular statement.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/11992/the-xbox-one-x-review/6

Intrinsic said:

Not all TFs are the same. Basically, 6TF in whatever GPU architecture used in 2020 will be better than the 6TF found in the polaris architecture today. And this is something else a lot of posters here aren't taking into consideration.

And it annoys me to no end.

Intrinsic said:

Lol no..... consoles wouldn't channel their investment more towards an SSD when making a premium console. The bulk of whatever is spent would be on a better GPU and a very slightly better CPU and more Ram.

You are starting to sound more like me as time goes on. - When did that happen?

CrazyGPU said:

I will add that also, in doing what you are explaining, they can perfectly run 1/4 th of the cores and mantain compatibility with PS4 if the hardware is close enough. As they did with PS4 pro. I think this time it will be a brand new architecture.

Or. They could simply not and use some extra performance to... I dunno. Let games run better? Xbox does it.

If the GPU ISA has deviated significantly from the GCN chip in the Playstation 4, they can use the power of abstraction to negate any compatibility issues.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:

Although I agree with you. I disagree with this particular statement.

Intrinsic said:

Lol no..... consoles wouldn't channel their investment more towards an SSD when making a premium console. The bulk of whatever is spent would be on a better GPU and a very slightly better CPU and more Ram.

You are starting to sound more like me as time goes on. - When did that happen?

Ooops, yes you are right. Didn't feel right when i typed it either..... I think what i was thinking is that its more efficient, and not that it draws less power.

Lol@sounding like you..... maybe we always sounded alike but this is just the first time we are on the same side of a discussion.

Errorist76 said:
withdreday said:

But it proves that most PS4 owners don't deem it worth it to fork over 400 bucks to upgrade. New owners are still going with the base model. The Pro, unless it sees a price drop to $349 or even $299, sales will stay stagnant compared to the more powerful One X.

The Pro has been selling for 349,- for months now. And looking at Amazon it is indeed outselling the X1X at the moment. I can assure you during 2018 the amount of PS4Pros will rise far above the 5:1 ratio it had last year. 

The base price is still $400 and that's the price that it is in most stores right now, including Amazon. The only reason the sales ticked up was because of the price drop for the holidays. 

If it's a chose between $400 console and the $299 1 TB version, most new buyers will go for the latter every time.

Pemalite said:
fatslob-:O said:

That may have used to be true in the past but now I'm not so sure anymore since there's nothing stopping their recent momentum. (industry on the verge of transitioning to EUV, Rambus reuniting with JEDEC(!) and higher demand than ever for higher performance DRAM) Before memory standards used to have a much lower turnover rate but currently their bringing out new memory standards faster than they did in the past. GDDR3 standard wasn't developed by JEDEC since they adopted it from ATi Technologies at the time, the specifications for the GDDR4 standard was released in 2006 by JEDEC, GDDR5 standard was released in 2007, GDDR5X standard was released in 2016 and the GDDR6 standard released a year after that. Consequently the original HBM standard was adopted in 2013, HBM 2 standard was finalized in 2016 but HBM 3 standard could get finalized by as early as the end of this year ... 

The final DDR5 standard is about to be published this year too ... 

Well. GDDR5X protocol and interface training sequence are similar to those of the GDDR5, but adopts the 16n prefetch that GDDR6 is adopting.
We could say it is an extension of GDDR5 rather than something new, the name of the DRAM backs that up.

It mostly existed because GDDR6 was so late to the table, we needed an interim solution.

I'm just going to take a wait-and-see approach on GDDR7, if we get it before 2020 then great.

Errorist76 said:

That’s highly unrealistic to assume, just for the fact the new CPU will be much faster for sure. GPU will also be at least Vega based. The X1X doesn’t even use Vega features - the Pro does though.

It will use AMD's next gen GPU architecture and not Vega which is a GPU architecture that released in 2017.

And I highly doubt they will even choose Navi, but it really depends how long AMD flogs that horse.

withdreday said:

But it proves that most PS4 owners don't deem it worth it to fork over 400 bucks to upgrade. New owners are still going with the base model. The Pro, unless it sees a price drop to $349 or even $299, sales will stay stagnant compared to the more powerful One X.

The Pro isn't really offering a new experience.

withdreday said:

And didn't even know about GDDR6. In that case, I can't wait. As I stated though, don't expect to even hear about a PS5 until the PS4 hits 100 million which is easily doable at the end of this holiday season.

Once the Playstation 4 hits market saturation and sales rate declines... Then Sony's incentive to release it's next-gen platform increases.
Microsoft and Nintendo also apply some additional competitive pressure.

Throwing out arbitrary numbers/claims like: "New PS5 when PS4 hits 100 mill sold" isn't really something I can adhere to.

withdreday said:

Remember when people said the no console would ever sell 100m again because of stupid mobile phones and tablets (which turned out to just be just a huge fad btw)? Aah, those were the days...

I wasn't one of those people.

fatslob-:O said:

In terms of memory bandwidth, it's absolutely top notch and I don't wish for 4K, I wish for physically based dynamic global illumination ... (BW might become a severe bottleneck when doing ray traversal in ray tracing so I want this mitigated as soon as possible for next generation) 

Also the difference is much larger than 50 GB/s. The fastest HBM 2 memory module can let us achieve rates as high as 1.25 TB/s on a 4096-bit bus width while the maximum a GDDR6 standard memory module can achieve on a 512-bit bus width will net 1 TB/s. GDDR6 has a massive 20% BW deficit compared to the fastest HBM 2 memory module ... 

GDDR6 is cheaper though for it's given capacity, which is why it will be leveraged for next-gen.
Unless GDDR7 is ramped up before then, but I have my doubts.

With that in mind... If AMD drives home the memory controller, I am sure they could push the bandwidth, AMD and nVidia pushed GDDR5 to it's absolute limits, power consumption be damned even.

I'm not saying they'll launch right then. I'm just saying there's zero chance for it to be announced before the PS4 hits 100 million. It's sales suicide and it's pointless with the console at least being a year or 2 away.

And never said you were one of the silly ones saying that, but man was it hilarious watching them grasp for straws once the PS4 started selling like hotcakes. The most common excuse was "well, this is just the early adopters!" 74 million consoles later and they're nowhere to be found.

Classic.

Pemalite said: 
Intrinsic said:

Not all TFs are the same. Basically, 6TF in whatever GPU architecture used in 2020 will be better than the 6TF found in the polaris architecture today. And this is something else a lot of posters here aren't taking into consideration.

And it annoys me to no end.

CrazyGPU said:

I will add that also, in doing what you are explaining, they can perfectly run 1/4 th of the cores and mantain compatibility with PS4 if the hardware is close enough. As they did with PS4 pro. I think this time it will be a brand new architecture.

Or. They could simply not and use some extra performance to... I dunno. Let games run better? Xbox does it.

If the GPU ISA has deviated significantly from the GCN chip in the Playstation 4, they can use the power of abstraction to negate any compatibility issues.

Just for clarifying with Intrinsic.

In gaming when most people speaks about flops comparing gaming gpus, a flop is a 32 bit single precision floating point operation. And that´s now, 10 years ago and in the future, heheh. Teraflops doesn´t change, they are a measure, like meters, or grams. Hehehe yes, it´s annoying to think about changing Tf. Like Pemalite says. A teraflop is 1000 billons of flops operations. If you have to do 3,2 x 2,2. It is a flop operation. If you you have to do 3 x 2 is an integer operation. 

Most companies use Tf for marketing. Switch was marketed as a 1 Teraflops machine, but that was misguided, cause they were using 16 bit precision numbers for calculating the number of operations. While it is correct mathematically, if everybody compares 32 bit numbers, speaking about 16 bit performance without saying that they are using other bit chain is kind of cheating. 

When comparing Scientific computing or high performance computing (HPC). Computers consisting in hundred of thousands of cores, or even millons they usually talk about performance with double precision 64 bit operations.

Now on the other subject. Of course they can. Actually in the beggining they dissabled half ps4 GPU to mantain compatibility, but then they add ps4 pro mode, and recently supersampling for running games better in 1080p screens on the pro. So yes, they have plenty of choises if they have enough Tf. 

Intrinsic said:

Ooops, yes you are right. Didn't feel right when i typed it either..... I think what i was thinking is that its more efficient, and not that it draws less power.

Indeed it is more efficient.
Hence why the Xbox One X actually does consume less power than the base Xbox One in a multitude of scenarios. (I.E. Blu-ray playback, instant on, energy saving etc'.)

A large chunk of that is attributed to the much more efficient power supply, which means less energy is wasted.

withdreday said:

I'm not saying they'll launch right then. I'm just saying there's zero chance for it to be announced before the PS4 hits 100 million. It's sales suicide and it's pointless with the console at least being a year or 2 away.

Well. Let's wait and see.

withdreday said:

And never said you were one of the silly ones saying that, but man was it hilarious watching them grasp for straws once the PS4 started selling like hotcakes. The most common excuse was "well, this is just the early adopters!" 74 million consoles later and they're nowhere to be found.

Classic.

For me, I don't really care if a console sells 10 units of 10 million or 100 million. As long as it meets my needs/wants/desires. - Which thankfully usually often lines up with fairly healthy sales. (I.E. More consoles sold, more financial incentive for more games/features.)

I'm one of the "rare" few who isn't aligned with any particular console brand though.

CrazyGPU said:

In gaming when most people speaks about flops comparing gaming gpus, a flop is a 32 bit single precision floating point operation. And that´s now, 10 years ago and in the future, heheh. Teraflops doesn´t change, they are a measure, like meters, or grams. Hehehe yes, it´s annoying to think about changing Tf. Like Pemalite says. A teraflop is 1000 billons of flops operations. If you have to do 3,2 x 2,2. It is a flop operation. If you you have to do 3 x 2 is an integer operation. 

For christ sake.

Teraflops is a theoretical number. It's calculated by clockrate * instructions per clock * pipes/cores.
It's often an un-achievable ceiling in the real world.

People need to stop abusing the flops. It's NOT the be-all, end-all.

CrazyGPU said:

Now on the other subject. Of course they can. Actually in the beggining they dissabled half ps4 GPU to mantain compatibility, but then they add ps4 pro mode, and recently supersampling for running games better in 1080p screens on the pro. So yes, they have plenty of choises if they have enough Tf. 

That sounds like allot of work for something so pointless. Just provide all the power all time, no need for silly modes if they abstract the hardware sufficiently.

CrazyGPU said:

Most companies use Tf for marketing. Switch was marketed as a 1 Teraflops machine, but that was misguided, cause they were using 16 bit precision numbers for calculating the number of operations. While it is correct mathematically, if everybody compares 32 bit numbers, speaking about 16 bit performance without saying that they are using other bit chain is kind of cheating.

It's because it is an ARM mobile part. Most non-x86 mobile devices emphasis 16-bit precision for performance and battery life reasons. Switch capitalizes on that.

People should always take the claims that any company makes about their hardware or their competitors hardware with a grain of salt, go to an unbiased source that has no financial incentive to stretch the truth instead.
Anandtech is a good outlet for that.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--